Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm confused! Janome owners please help! >

I'm confused! Janome owners please help!

I'm confused! Janome owners please help!

Old 12-23-2013, 04:20 PM

Unhappy I'm confused! Janome owners please help!

I just came back from a Janome dealership, and I'm more confused than ever. The salesman never shut up, and never answered my questions. I'm looking to upgrade, and I want a Janome that is just the "cat's meow" for sewing and quilting. I am not interested in a combination sewing/embroidery machine. I've had one and I've never once used the embroidery part, ever. I'm not interested in embroidery. I want a machine that can sew and quilt with ease. I thought that was the Horizon 7700P, but what happened to that machine? All I can find are the 7700QPC, and that's sewing and embroidery again. Or do I have the wrong model? There is supposed to be a Janome that is just the best model they've come up with (you know how some models are just better and more durable than others), and I thought I knew what that was, and I've been told I'm all wrong, yada, yada, yada. Is there a Horizon 7700 that is not also an embroidery machine? Knowing what I want, all you experienced Janome owners, what model would you choose and why? I have to make a decision, and right now, my head is spinning!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:38 PM

*LOL* I'd stick with my Husqvarna 875Q. But straight from the horse's mouth:

http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/.../Horizon_7700P
QC

Note the letters are PQC not QPC. The rest of the machines:

http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...ewing-Quilting

Please don't let the salesman talk you into spending kaboodles of $$$$ for a machine you are going to use to quilt/sew and not use to embroider. He probably works on commission so it's in his best interest to sell you a top of the line machine quilt/embroidery machine.

Now that you know the correct name of the machine, if he won't sell it to you, go somewhere else. Check to be sure service warranties are honored in all stores that service Janome machines. (That's another perk to buying Husqvarna, btw.)

If the Horizon 7700PQC is the machine you want, I'd also google reviews.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 PM

If you just want to sew and quilt, I'd go and take a look at Juki machines. They are a lot of machine for less money than a Janome. I really really disliked my Janome but I know that there are lots on this board who will disagree with me. Find a machine that suits your needs and don't let a salesman talk you into something you don't need.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:03 PM

I have used the 6600 and the7700. I upgraded to the 8900. It is perfect for me,as the bugs in the other models have been worked out. It stitches over multiple layers,is dreamy in it's FMS,and is a nicely quiet machine to use. I named her Hazel,and have sewn several hours a day,withou her complaining. It's alright to PM me for questions.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 PM

I have the 6600 Janome. Have had it since they first came out and I love it. I bought a Viking 835 and just did not care for it and went back to using my 6600. I also have the 11000 Janome but that is also an embroidery machine. I like it also.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:16 PM

I have the Janome 6600P and love it. When I bought it I told the sales rep all I do is sew, I don't embroider, I don't make fancy clothes and she showed me the 6600p, because it was the on I went in to see, and did not try to sell me anything else. Two years later I went into another place, closer to my home and they had all sorts of embroidery machines and suddenly I was hooked. It's the Husqvarna Topaz 20 - doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but does a nice job of embroidering and will do everything my Janome does - so I do use them both all the time. Try and stick to your guns, buy only what you can afford and don't look back. Someone will always get a better deal, there is always something else they will try and sell you.

And enjoy what you get. That is what is important.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:30 PM

If you just want to sew and quilt then either the 6600p or the 8900QC. I have the 6600p and love love it...The 8900QC is just a step up from the 6600p and I believe it has throat room of 11in. as 6600p isn't quite 11in. Either machine is good. I also didn't want a combined machine, so I also bought at Janome 350e embroidery machine, which I also love love love.....If you choose between these 2 machines it will come down to cost and a few extra perks on the 8900QC.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:25 PM

I have the 8900 QC and love it. It's a real workhorse and will make you extremely proud of it.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 PM

i also have the 6600p and love it
Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 PM

I have had the Horizon 7700 for 3 years and used it lots of hours. It has not given me the first problem, yet. I have taught many FMQ classes and seen lots of different machines in my classes. Honestly, most all of them will FMQ quite well. The huge advantage to the 7700 is the harp space, which is more than the other Janome machines. Except the new 8900, which is very expensive and not a good choice for someone not using the embroidery option. I am sorry the company has not kept the larger harp space on a machine without the embroidery part. ( Unless I am mistaken). Consider carefully the exact things you want and don't be talked into lots of extras if they only cost extra money. That said, I love a machine that has the scissors option and I love being able to lift the presser foot with my kneelift! It makes FMQing easier as your hands are both free. Another good option and will be well used is the expanded table, if you do not set your machine in a cabinet. They come with many larger machines and can be ordered extra, also. Best of luck in deciding and buying a new sewing machine!