Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon >

Janome Horizon

Janome Horizon

Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM

I've had mine since September and love it. Those of you who bought recently..the new foot is the O2 foot, if you want to check that's what you've got. The old O foot apparently was catching on seams and would run off crooked when stitching over a seam. I've been using my new O2 foot doing a OBW and didn't have any problems at all with the seams. I also have less pressure on the presser foot than they probably say..but that's me..lol
Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
May I ask about how much the Horizon runs? I don't know if it's worth a trip to my not-so local dealer.
We live near, and go shopping in Fort Worth, Texas, so we have access to dealers who have a large customer base. I have dealt with the dealer I bought my Horizon from for quite a while and have purchased a couple of machines from them so know them to be reputable and back their products.

We have something in Fort Worth every January called The Stock Show...sort of like a fair crossed with a rodeo...and the shop had a "Stock Show Sale" going on. Well, I took my "used car trading hubby" and he got me a great deal....$2,000! The original price was $2,999. Needless to say, I was delighted. I understand that is not a "standard" price and some people have gotten their Horizon for less, but I'm very tickled...especially the longer I use it.

I had planned on buying the Janome 6600 but they showed me the Horizon before I made a commitment, and I was so glad they did. So in actuality I spent about $600-$800 more than I had planned to...but I am sooooo happy I did...now I don't have to upgrade.

Also found out...via this board...that Leah Day at Free Motion Quilting uses a Horizon...woohoo! I'm in great Company ;o) !
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM

$2000 is an amazing price for a new Horizon! I'm still undecided about it. It was $3000 when I was looking, and I decided to get a Babylock Quest Plus for $1300. If I learn FMQing well enough to get my backlog of tops finished, I won't hesitate to reward myself with an upgrade to my upgrade. But if I could get a Horizon for $2000, it would be hard to resist. The only other machines that tempt me are the Bernina 440QE and 820, both much more expensive. I follow that yahoo group for the Horizon, also. They seem very helpful and supportive.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM

I just got the Horizon last week. I had the original O foot and it did NOT like going over bulky seams - have you USED the O2 foot and does it solve the problem?
My new foot is on the way from Janome. So far that has been the only "downer" with this machine. It FMQs BEAUTIFULLY!

I got an OK deal - machine, table, rolling case, thread kit, binding tool and FMQ bobbin case for $3200.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I just got the Horizon last week. I had the original O foot and it did NOT like going over bulky seams - have you USED the O2 foot and does it solve the problem?
I never really tested the O foot, but the O2 foot never baulked once at the seams on my OBW. It's the biggest test I've given it with the sewing I've done so far. I also find less pressure on the presser foot helps.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM

I have been given a price of $1999 from my dealer--just trying to decide if I want (read NEED) it! I have a 20 year old Pfaff 1473 I love and 2 Brother Embroidery/Sewing machines, but this one has really caught my attention.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
My new foot is on the way from Janome. So far that has been the only "downer" with this machine. It FMQs BEAUTIFULLY!

I got an OK deal - machine, table, rolling case, thread kit, binding tool and FMQ bobbin case for $3200.
I only used the O foot one time (and since I'm in the middle of a project, I haven't even tried the O2) and then switched back to the A foot and set the machine at 5.5 for a 1/4" seam. Plus, I turned that knob on the side of the machine a little to increase the way the feed dogs pull the fabric through, and it's been sewing great.

I am currently working on a customer's quilted coat, and I am binding the seams on the sleeves and sides. Yesterday I set the sleeves in, and today I sewed the side seams together over those bulky sleeve seams...it would be the equivalent of sewing two bound edges of a quilt together. The Horizon never hesitated. I went slow, and DID NOT pull or push the fabric through. It never skipped a stitch. My other machine would never have sewed that smoothly over those thick seams...it would have skipped all kinds of stitches!

I haven't started FMQ yet...but plan to do that next week! I do quilting for other people and it seems like I never schedule any ME time. Well, I'm going to correct that next week...I've got a ton of stuff I want to try -- a lot of it from this board -- and I'm "marking myself off the calendar" next week! WooHoo!

When we were negotiating with the dealer, he kept asking me about a table. And I told him I already had a place for the machine...so I think he just cut to a "bare bones" deal...but it sounds like you got quite a bit for your buck!! Congrats!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM

Oh my gosh, grab it if you can get it for $1999... That is a great price!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 AM

I bought my Janome Horizon in October. I love the machine. It is so quiet and sews beautifully. Ii a sure you will get a lot of fun sewing hours with your new machine. I have.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 AM

i got my horizon in oct 2010. love, love it! i broke the plate on it -- my fault -- but my dealer fixed it for free. also, while he had it in the "shop" he told me about all the extra feet you can buy for it. i paid $2,000 for mine as well. got the table it sets in for half price and they threw in the new trolly bag.