Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just let me get my magic wand..." >

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=bkay;7966537]
Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Question: when making quilts for charity, does anyone writing off the donation(s) on their taxes? Just curious!

I know that monetary donations and other gifts to charity are deductible. ] end quote

I hadn't thought of that. I know if you donate a painting to an art museum, you can deduct the current market value of that item.

My dad spent his last years in a nursing home owned by a religious organization. They had about 25 Salvadore Dali prints in the hall. When I saw them, my first thought was, "Yeah, and I bet those are real". Also, they say that's why many municipal art museums end up with both fake and worthless paintings.

I wonder if you can donate the current value of your quilt? Hypothetically, all you would need is the recipient organization to appraise it and give you a receipt.

bkay
You probably can. You would have to have a receipt from the organization which might or might not be easy to obtain. Non-profits in many states are audited every year. I worked for one here in Houston and went thru 2 audits. This was a very small group and the audit took 3 or 4 days. They are pretty strenuous about the whole thing and scrutinize donations carefully so non-profits are pretty careful about things.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Oh dear, I have come to the end. No more stories? Darn. I have enjoyed this. No stories to contribute as I am still a newby.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I have lots of stories about sewing, mending and quilting requests. I could practically write a book on the craziness people have in their heads about the lowly skill of this type of work. But, I have a turning point story about when I finally learned to stand up for my work, time and money.

My sister brought a friend of hers over to visit who was soon to be a step-grandmother. She wanted to see some of my ufo's and I happily brought her up to my sewing room to show her my work. She fell in love with one baby quilt and offed to pay me for it when it was finished. But could I get it done soon. I said ok, and placed my current project aside to finish it up for her.

Four days later it was done and ready for her to pick up. I modestly asked for $65.00. It was crib sized and lots of hand appliqued animals with a circus bear on a ball in the center. Really cute done in light purples, aqua and a golden tan. The custom quilting turned out wonderful and she was thrilled until I told her how much I wanted for it. She asked, Why so much?

I honestly don't know where it came from, but, I said, "Well, let me see, how about you work a week and provide all of your needed supplies and utilities plus your salary. Just how much would that be? She pulled out her wallet and paid up without another word. I felt so liberated! People can relate when it comes to their own spent personal time and work pay.
Or they come back with "But you do it for fun anyway! And how much is fabric, a dollar a yard? You only need a couple of yards, right?"

I have that discussion on those last two points with DH at least twice a year, when I go to buy backing fabric. "You've got yards and yards of fabric! Why can't you just use some if that?" Because it's all in fat quarters or smaller, dear, and I'm not going to piece the back too.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:56 AM

When you donate items to a non-profit...the person who DONATES the item(s) gets a receipt from the organization and the giver determines the value of their donation. Not the non-profit.

sandy
Old 12-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I gift most of my quilts, sew for the hospital and make charity quilts for the church..................BUT I don't take orders. I would rather decide who, what and where and donate my time and money, than sew for others with their time schedule & choice of pattern & try and please them. I do it for fun!
Very smart Nana!!
Old 12-23-2017, 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=HouseDragon;7542793]A friend of my DD saw a photo of the quilt I was working on at the time, a Log Cabin with Flower Fairy panels here and there and with over 140 different light and dark pinks.

She asked if I'd make her daughter one just like it. Without batting an eye, I said I couldn't make another for less that $2400.00.

*LOL* That ended that!
[/QU

I bet it was gorgeous, please post a picture.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:08 AM

My neighbor wanted a T-shirt quilt for her daughter who had played college volleyball. I had already told them twice I had never made a t- shirt quilt and really didn't wan to. I had even referred them to someone who makes them to order. They asked again! and the daughter said "it can't be hard you just cut them up and sew them back together". We've been neighbors a long time so I'm sure they had no intention of paying. They finally called the gal I referred to them. I'll bet they got a bit of a shock at the price she charges.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:54 AM

This thread has been so funny. I agree with all of you. People who don't buy fabric just have no idea of the value of quilt, much less the work and time spent making one.

When people are bold enough to ask me to make one for them, I just say, I'll put you on the list after I get all my family's done....it will probably be 5 to 10 years. They stare in disbelief and just say, Oh, Okay. I never hear from them again. I have offered to teach them how to piece and they can use my Nolting Longarm to finish it. No one ever has taken me up on that either. They know it's work and they know it takes a long time. It's okay for me to enjoy sewing and take my time for them, but they want it with no effort. Not going to happen. Oh well.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:34 AM

This is one of the very best threads I have seen on this board.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:49 AM

Had extended family yesterday for Christmas and the niece was impressed by my quilting and suggested I could probably make lots of money on Etsy. I had to laugh and tell her that at $10/yd (or more) just for the top fabric there are hardly any quiltmakers making enough $$ on Etsy or similar sites to really make money. And that I make my $$ from long arming and even that doesn't really pay well. She is not a sewer so had no idea.