Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just let me get my magic wand..." >

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Loved reading through all the stories! I don't have one. I have no problem saying "no."
Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts View Post
I made a lap quilt for my son in law. Extra long. He keeps it at work because it gets cold and he wraps it around his shoulders. He said one of his coworkers asked if I could make them one for $50. He just laughed and told them they couldn't afford one.
I love this one - your son in law certainly knows the value of what he's got!
Old 05-07-2016, 04:15 PM

I love this thread and this board. I've read each story and can't help but laugh. Some people have more brass than a 40 piece band. I didn't realize the work and time it took to make a quilt before I made my first one. Gave me a whole new opinion of their worth. I don't have a story thankfully. I did learn how to say "no" several years ago. Thanks to all of you for the good read.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
A few years back my DH asked if I could make a friend of ours a quilt for Christmas. He is 80 and lives by himself and my husband wanted to give him a quilt he could cover up with while watching TV. He said nothing fancy. I suggested I make a jelly roll race type quilt. My DH thought that would be fine. We gave it to him and he loves it. Tells me every time I talk to him on the phone that he is using it or he just washed it. Anyway, his daughter found out I made him a quilt and my DH asked if she would like me to make her one. (My DH assumed she knew she would have to pay for it) He asked her what type she wanted and she replied "like the ones she sees on the clothes lines in Kentucky". So, I e-mailed her and confirmed she wanted one and she said yes. I told her to let me know the size, colors and if there was a pattern she liked and I would give her a price. Haven't heard from her since. Another person that thought it would be free.
I would dump on DH for that one - - - if someone had said that to me - I would have also assumed that it was a "no charge" deal.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:47 PM

I make comfort quilts and do it with all the love in my heart, but recently when I was speaking with the mother of a young boy for more info about him before I start his quilt, I had to do some fast talking. After expressing her delight that I was going to make a quilt for her son, she asked how I knew about him. I explained that I get all my referrals by word of mouth. She was so excited, she asked for my contact information so she could "pass it out to everyone at the hospital".

After being momentarily stunned, I quickly explained that due to my own health issues, as much as I'd love to make everyone a quilt, I had to limit the numbers of referrals I could take and I'd hate to have to start saying no to a lot of people. She seemed to understand and I was relieved I wouldn't be hearing from all the staff and parents of children in the hospital. That was a "where do I buy a magic wand?" moment.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:23 PM

well my story is a bit different - we were showing some antique quilts to a decorator type lady who owned a furniture store. One was a bold, graphic "Hole in the Barn Door" or "Monkey Wrench" in blue, maroon and white. Her comment, "Imagine how this pattern would look in ALL white-on-white prints!" Huh???
Old 05-07-2016, 06:12 PM

I haven't had any "magic wand" stories other than someone wanting a quilt "by Friday" (impossible!), but I did have a guy who came by my craft fair booth last year that I wanted to bonk in the head with a magic wand!

He picked up a quilted wristlet, turned it over, saw the price tag, and muttered to his girlfriend (loud enough for me to hear) that it "wasn't worth $6". They left.

For one thing, it was WELL worth $6 ... I tend to underprice my stuff ... and for another thing, the price tag clearly said it was $4! Yep, FOUR dollars, not six.

I kind of wish they'd come back by, because I would've HAD to mention that the $4 wristlets sold out!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:29 PM

mine is a time "magic wand" story--just got back from a retreat with my DS--and 2 of her projects to quilt--which isn't really a big deal, but she was also hoping I'd take the handwork she did for a Christmas quilt and do the rest of the piecing and then quilt it--frankly, I was prepared to do that because we'd talked about it last year, but I'm swamped right now with customer quilts, part-time work, and guild responsibilities. so we worked out other arrangements. but I guess what surprises me is that non-quilters (or those that don't do alot of quilting) don't realize the amount of time the whole process takes--or at least takes for me!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:16 PM

A quilting friend's father had Dementia and she asked me to make them a quilt for him. She would pay. I said I would make a list of all fabric purchased as well as thread and batting plus time. I did a MSQC quick cathedral window with picture fabric in the Windows. I itemised everything and time in hours but no cost. All she paid for were the fabrics thread and batting I got nothing from them for my time. This was from another quilter, should have known better.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
well my story is a bit different - we were showing some antique quilts to a decorator type lady who owned a furniture store. One was a bold, graphic "Hole in the Barn Door" or "Monkey Wrench" in blue, maroon and white. Her comment, "Imagine how this pattern would look in ALL white-on-white prints!" Huh???

I agree with her. It would be subtle and stunning. She is a decorator. Lots of tone on tone patchwork as backgrounds esp.. In modern quilts.

Sandy