Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just let me get my magic wand..." >

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

Old 05-08-2016, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
A quilting friend's father had Dementia and she asked me to make them a quilt for him. She would pay. I said I would make a list of all fabric purchased as well as thread and batting plus time. I did a MSQC quick cathedral window with picture fabric in the Windows. I itemised everything and time in hours but no cost. All she paid for were the fabrics thread and batting I got nothing from them for my time. This was from another quilter, should have known better.
I f you assigned dollar costs to the materials but not to your labor, she might have thought you were not charging for your time. Sometimes it is just miscommunication. Remember Hanlon's Razor - "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Old 05-08-2016, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I agree with her. It would be subtle and stunning. She is a decorator. Lots of tone on tone patchwork as backgrounds esp.. In modern quilts.

Sandy
That must be why she gets the big bucks. I can barely tell one WOW fabric from another unless I am right next to them. All I could picture was a sea of white.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** My story:
*** Can you make me a quilt for my camper
*** so I want ruin my good comforters?
*** I guess quilts are only for dirty, trashy places***
Good one! Gave me a good laugh!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:08 AM

I used my magic wand to make a baby quilt for my great-grandson. The poor kid was already a year old, and when I heard I was invited to his first birthday party, next Friday, I whipped up a disappearing 9-patch with MSQC I-spy squares in all the corners. I got it done! Looks real cute.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:19 AM

Last Fall I had a lunch with a GF, I had driven to her small town about 30 min. from me. Thought I'd stop at he local shop for a yard of flannel. This friend went on to buy over $100 for a pattern and fabric, I am being confused she is a non-quilter... on the way back to the car she announces we could quilt for an hour on Wednesday's at her house. I thought my head was going to fall off my shoulders. When I claimed "no we would do this at my house, it was just wasn't worth it for me to spend 30 min. packing my car, the 30 min. drive for an hour of sewing.
She now wants to gift me the the goods.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Question: when making quilts for charity, does anyone writing off the donation(s) on their taxes? Just curious!
I know that monetary donations and other gifts to charity are deductible.

(I haven't started on a quilt yet because 2 other (non-quilt) projects are not finished; now I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and start without waiting for everything else to be finished.)
If you donate a quilt to charity you can deduct the cost of the materials used if you have receipts. You cannot deduct anything for your time. If you are a professional who regularly sells quilts for many thousands of dollars you can still only deduct the amount that you spent for the materials in that specific quilt. This is something that artists have been fighting for many years. As a fine artist and jeweler I often get asked to donate paintings or jewelry to various charity auctions for which I can only deduct the cost of materials even if they raised much more than that in the auction. At this point I'd rather just donate money and take the deduction unless it's for a cause that is very important to me.

Rob
Old 05-08-2016, 05:31 AM

I had 2 baby/toddler quilts that I sold to a HS classmate for a couple of his Grkids. Well they were a big, huge hit. He promptly put in his order for 2 Spiderman quilts I said sure when I get around to it, OH NO he wanted, needed and had to have these for Christmas. I got it done and it only cost him a friendship.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
On the other side of this coin, sometimes we, as quilters, perpetuate this magic wand myth.
How many times have we seen a post on here such as "help. It's Monday and I just got a baby shower invitation in the mail. I didn't know she was expecting....the shower is Sunday! Does anyone know of Quick Baby quilt pattern that I could make by this weekend?" Although there is always no shortage of helpful answers, it's also OK to go buy a baby bathtub and some onesies (or whatever) at the baby store. Heck, if you didn't know that she was expecting, how close are you really, and why do we feel stressed out and compelled to make a quilt?
Excellent point!! I have no problem saying no.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 AM

A few years back I was asked to donate a quilt to a silent auction. My friend agreed to donate one small as well. So I got busy and made a nice block of the month oversized lap quilt. Quilted it myself, my friend sent hers to a longarmer.We donated both quilts, although it was a good turnout, people wanted stuff for nothing, highest bid on either quilt was $20. My dh seen this and he placed a high bid on both of them and bought them back for us. He was not going to let them go for pennies. He was so insulted, as he has seen how long it takes me to make one and seen the receipts as well. Learned a lesson there.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

There is only one answer that will put a stop to every request. It's simple and to the point. Say:
No, I don't want to. It works for every request, every time. If someone doesn't think twice about putting me on the spot I have fun saying No I don't want to. It's worth it to see the expression on their faces, You don't want to do something I wanted you to do for me???