Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just let me get my magic wand..." >

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

Old 05-08-2016, 05:53 PM

I made a patriotic quilt for an uncle who had served in the military who helped my dad (his brother) and mom a lot. When another uncle saw it, he asked me to make him one. I told him to send me the fabric and I would. He bought all of the fabric he liked that the store had. When I got the package it was only four yards and he thought he had enough to make matching pillow cases. No backing, no batting. It's a good thing I love him or he wouldn't of got it. Picture posted on this board cars quilt!
Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by ND Quilter View Post
Here is my story. After living in a motor home with my 93 year old mother for 7 1/2 weeks following a flood in 2011, a man who was working in my basement at $40.00 an hour asked me to make his wife a quilt. I knew her as a friend and a fellow teacher. I told him I would if he paid for the supplies and paid me for my time. He agreed. I gave him in itemized estimate just like he had given me. I figured it would take about 12 yards of fabric at $12.00 a yard. I work at a local quilt shop and knew that was the going price. I added in the price for batting, thread and other supplies. I am a long arm quilter and have my own machine so I added the cost for quilting. I also added $40.00 per hour for my time. I figured if his time was worth $40.00 an hour, so was mine. When he was here for the end of the project, and presented me with the final bill, I gave him my estimate. It came to $1350.00. Needless to say, I haven't heard from him to make his wife a quilt.
ND Quilter is my new hero!!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
mme3924, how about gifting it directly to your friend to use at her home when the baby visits??
I did think of that, and am still considering it.

I did that for another friend, who has no children, but whose husband has grandchildren who visit. When this friend learned I had begun quiltmaking, she was so supportive, sending me quilt magazines and books. She does love quilts, so I knew the one I made for their "house" would be welcome. When she called to thank me, she said "I'm not sure any grandchild will ever be allowed on this!" (I had suggested they might use it on the floor as a play or nap quilt.) She seemed thrilled just to have it, which of course made me very happy.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** My story:
*** Can you make me a quilt for my camper
*** so I want ruin my good comforters?
*** I guess quilts are only for dirty, trashy places.
Oh Ouch! Incredible insensitivity! I'd love to hear what your reply was.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
I love this thread!
This is what I did with a wedding quilt I made for a nephew who I thought would appreciate the quilt (and I was right--they called me up 2 days after the wedding to say it was the best gift that they got). I had it appraised for them before I gave it to them, and the appraisal was for $1200. A couple of months after the wedding I gave them the appraisal certificate and said they should hold onto it for insurance purposes. This way, they really know the true value of what they got. But, I really have to be confident that someone will appreciate it before I go to the trouble of making a quilt for a gift.
What a brilliant idea!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
A quilting friend's father had Dementia and she asked me to make them a quilt for him. She would pay. I said I would make a list of all fabric purchased as well as thread and batting plus time. I did a MSQC quick cathedral window with picture fabric in the Windows. I itemised everything and time in hours but no cost. All she paid for were the fabrics thread and batting I got nothing from them for my time. This was from another quilter, should have known better.
What a painful story, I think if it were me, I question that she was truly a friend and if you are still friends? Also why in the world wouldn't she take time in her life to make something for her own father? My head is still shaking over this story DottyMo!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
A few years back I was asked to donate a quilt to a silent auction. My friend agreed to donate one small as well. So I got busy and made a nice block of the month oversized lap quilt. Quilted it myself, my friend sent hers to a longarmer.We donated both quilts, although it was a good turnout, people wanted stuff for nothing, highest bid on either quilt was $20. My dh seen this and he placed a high bid on both of them and bought them back for us. He was not going to let them go for pennies. He was so insulted, as he has seen how long it takes me to make one and seen the receipts as well. Learned a lesson there.

What a GREAT HUSBAND!

This makes me wonder don't silent auctions have reserves? I learned from this post if I should ever donate a quilt for a silent auction it would have to have a reserve to cover at least the cost of materials or I'd simply not be willing to donate.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ND Quilter View Post
Here is my story. After living in a motor home with my 93 year old mother for 7 1/2 weeks following a flood in 2011, a man who was working in my basement at $40.00 an hour asked me to make his wife a quilt. I knew her as a friend and a fellow teacher. I told him I would if he paid for the supplies and paid me for my time. He agreed. I gave him in itemized estimate just like he had given me. I figured it would take about 12 yards of fabric at $12.00 a yard. I work at a local quilt shop and knew that was the going price. I added in the price for batting, thread and other supplies. I am a long arm quilter and have my own machine so I added the cost for quilting. I also added $40.00 per hour for my time. I figured if his time was worth $40.00 an hour, so was mine. When he was here for the end of the project, and presented me with the final bill, I gave him my estimate. It came to $1350.00. Needless to say, I haven't heard from him to make his wife a quilt.

Loved reading your story thanks for the chuckles, still chuckling here! Good for you!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Madamekelly ~

I just finished each message in the thread and I can't tell you how long it's been since I've enjoyed a thread as much as this one you started! Thanks for starting this!

I don't have a magic wand story myself, much different than the ones already shared, and I learned a long time ago the value of the word no. However, I love the post that suggested just saying, "I don't want to." Can't wait to use that one if for nothing else than to see the look on the face of the requester.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 AM

Great thread!! I LOVE Cathy Miller -- her songs always make me smile. My story -- I was asked by a friend a couple of years ago to make a twin quilt -- I asked who it was for what it should look like, etc. I she had some specifics in colors, fabrics, etc, then told me it had to be heavily quilted because it was to replace the quilt her son used on the garage floor when he was working on his car -- the one he had from Walmart wore out too fast. Needless to say, I said I would not make the quilt -- she was not happy.