Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kinda sick....is it totally ruined????? >

Kinda sick....is it totally ruined?????

Kinda sick....is it totally ruined?????

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I would not wash the top again until it is completed. You are incredibly lucky not having the top come apart in the washer! Synthrapol needs hot water. It keeps excess dye shed by the fabric in suspension so it will not be redeposited on your quilt top. Another thing is you need LOTS of water. An old fashioned top loader at the highest water setting, not a front loader or a HE top loader. Your best bet is to take it to a Laundromat and use one of their big washers.
I also wouldn't stress too much, it is probably less noticeable than you think.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 PM

Default Kinda sick.....is it totally ruined?

Thank all of you for your suggestions. The top didn't ravel and it was finished. I use a smaller stitch setting (1.8) which may have saved me. I also used the gentle cycle which doesn't agitate much. I do have a top load machine- oldie but goodie and it does have an extra large setting. The top does look wrinkled and I don't like that look.. I will have someone do it on a longarm machine. Will that set in the wrinkles if it's not ironed first? I had hoped to be able to iron it before I sent it.. I apologize for my stupid questions. I only had one top quilted before, so I don't know much. I think I have a pic attached of the top before it was washed.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-031-598x800-478x640-.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

It is beautiful. If there is a glitch, I don't see it.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 PM

That's a gorgeous quilt. No one but you will ever know there was a "problem". Which makes it not a problem!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Unfortunately -- in my opinion, anyway -- you need to iron the quilt top before sending it to the longarmer. A longarmer needs both backing and top to be as smooth as possible when loading onto the frame. While it's fairly easy for a longarmer to ease some wrinkles out of a backing fabric which is in all one large piece (or two, or three) -- for example, by using spray starch while rolling -- it's really not possible to do that on a quilt top consisting of many pieces.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

You will need to iron your top before sending it to the long arm person. It is gorgeous and once it is ironed and quilted it should look perfect.

Originally Posted by Fortyniner View Post
Thank all of you for your suggestions. The top didn't ravel and it was finished. I use a smaller stitch setting (1.8) which may have saved me. I also used the gentle cycle which doesn't agitate much. I do have a top load machine- oldie but goodie and it does have an extra large setting. The top does look wrinkled and I don't like that look.. I will have someone do it on a longarm machine. Will that set in the wrinkles if it's not ironed first? I had hoped to be able to iron it before I sent it.. I apologize for my stupid questions. I only had one top quilted before, so I don't know much. I think I have a pic attached of the top before it was washed.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Default Pun

What a beautiful quilt. All of the suggestions above have lots of merit and one or more of them should work. Please iron your top BEFORE you have it quilted. It needs to be as smooth and as square as possible. I press every step of the way. Even after the quilting. I start on the back, turn to the front and then smooth out the binding with the iron. I change my quilts seasonally and when I pull them out again, I give them another light press so they'll hang straight. Good luck with all of the tries of suggestions. Please let us know how it all comes out?

Well, I didn't intend the pun, but it happens.

Last edited by jo bauer; 07-14-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

I should have added that I would iron it with spray starch handy. Just be sure to give the starch time to penetrate the fibers before ironing so you don't run the risk of scorching the starch (not a problem; it will wash out!) and gooping up your iron.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

I had a similar problem with a quilt for my Grandsons wedding. He is in the Air Force so I wanted to make a patriotic quilt for them. The red and blue bled onto the white on the back. I rewashed it with color catchers and the bleeding came out. I then washed it with salt and vinegar as I was told it would set the colors. The quilt turned out well. Good luck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483340[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483341[/ATTACH]
The red and blue in the flag material bled all over the white on the back. This picture was taken after I got the bleeding out of the white.
Attached Thumbnails bobby-kellys-wedding-quilt-done.jpg   bobby-kellys-wedding-quilt-6.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 03:53 AM

If the yellow fabric is all the same shade I wouldn't worry about it, just finish it and let it go. The recipients don't know what shade of yellow it was so it shouldn't be a problem. I would not keep washing it as that is a recipe for disaster. Unsupported quilt tops do not do well with washing as a rule and I think you were lucky that only the yellow changed color and no seams raveled or came out.