Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Purchase Reviews needed >

Long Arm Purchase Reviews needed

Long Arm Purchase Reviews needed

Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I have a 26" ABM Innova on a 10' frame (that is all I could fit, if I could have I would have gone to a 12' frame).

Pros:
IMO the Innova is the best bang for the buck on the market
One of the, if not the best, frame on the market. It is a 4 roller system so you don't have to constantly adjust the take up roller. Makes no difference how backs are seamed. Solid as a rock with almost no vibration made of aircraft grade aluminum.
24-7 factory customer support (although I have not had to use it, thankfully)
Is not fussy about thread, will take any kind of thread I throw at it.
Not temepramental.
One of the most responsive stitch regulators on the market (The lightening stitch). They introduced it after I got my machine so I don't have it, but I got to test it at the MQX and it was amazing.
Retains resale value, but try to find a used one on the market, you won't. Those of us that have them find no need to trade up, trade in, or sell them! You may be able to get a dealer demo but they are hard to find second hand.

Cons:
Have yet to find one.

I have an INOVA 18" and find it has a lot of bang for the buck!!! It is all the machine I will ever need.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM

Ladies...you have all been great! So far I am leaning to the APQS Lucey with a 26" throat, 12 foot table and the extra cost for the hydraulic system (thanks to Deb's comments about the adjustable heights - good advice). The toss up between Gammils (which I find the owners all love) and the APQS are so close, but I think that the convenience of a local APQS dealer will probably make my decision for me. Thanks to all of you for a warm welcome and helping me to make my decision! (At least so far, I am pretty sure.) Now I am off to find tips on environment. Wood floor or carpet? Wood floor with pads under the feet for vibration? Lighting? If I recall correctly, the Lucey doesn't come with overhead lighting. My machine will be in a room with high ceilings. Any suggestions on either of these? Should I start a new thread? Not sure what's appropriate on a blog. Peggy Sew
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I had something other than carpet on the floor. Cleaning requires a brush to grab wayward threads, then the vac to clean the lint - and there is a LOT of lint. With wood or vinyl you'll be able to just swiffer it.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM

I had my machine on a wood floor in an upstairs room. At the time I had a wooden grace frame. When I quilted the viberation of the machine would viberate the frame out of balance. We moved the machine downstairs to a room with carpet and a cement floor. Then I also went to the dealer in Houston and bought the frame that goes with the machine. No problems now. I did learn that when you buy a machine you should buy the frame that is recomended for the machine. The reason I had the wooden frame is another story.I really don't like the carpet on the floor but it is there so I would rather leave it than fuss with DH about removing it.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Forgot to mention lighting. DH put up daylight floresent(sp) lights. This gives plenty of natural light for my quilting room. It makes all the difference in the world.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by aborning
Originally Posted by bonnyh
Hi - I have a Tin Lizzie 18. It has a stitch regulator but doesn't always work. My husband has to keep adjusting it and roughing up the rails for better contact. I've had it for approximately 6 years so perhaps they've improved it. I also wish I had a bigger throat than the 18" as I have now started a long arm quilting business. At the time I was purchasing it, I was looking at best quality for least amount of money. Good hunting. I know there are some good machines out there.
Call Tin Lizzie and tell them about your stitch regulator not always working. It sounds like you need a new Y cable. That is the cable the connects to the two encoders. A wire may be going bad in there and then sometimes when the cable moves around, it's a bad connection. It happened to me and I got a new cable and now all is perfect with the stitch regulator.
I have a Tin Lizzie and haven't been successful in getting them to call me back - what's your secret?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 AM

I call my dealer and he is a certified Technician for Tin Lizzie and Gammil so he tells me what to do. When I was really upset once about something, I emaileded Sabrina at Tin Lizzie and she called me back right away--so I would try that. Go on the TIn Lizzie website and I think if you go to Customer Service, you can get her email address. I would defiitely get ahold of them (or you dealer if yo bought it through a Dealer because I really think you just need a new Y cable which is such a simple fix (unplug the old one and plug in the new one) or you need a new encoder which is the same thing--unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. It is such an easy fix and you will no longer have frustration. Let me know if you can't find sabrina's email--then I will look for it--but I am lwaving for the day right now. Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Thank you Dr Granny! Good advice. I was thinking of just putting a large, low pile throw rug under it. I am hoping that it would keep it from vibrating, easier to clean than existing carpet, more cushion for the feet and a sound muffler. My ceiling are so high I don't know what I am going to do about the lighting yet. Happy Quilting and thanks! Peg