Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilter disaster >

Long arm quilter disaster

Long arm quilter disaster

Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Ask for money back. I hope it wasn't ruined.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:29 PM

i had this happen to me on one of my first quilts i took it home laid it out to check out the quilting and wound up holding it and crying i never took her another quilt and made sure anyone looking for someone to quilt knew why it seemed too hard to take it out so i just left it thank goodness it wasnt a gift for anyone it was a class i had taken at a local shop and my second quilt.
carla
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Dee

Ask for her money back.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Love2Quilt
A friend of mine sent a beautiful baby quilt to the long arm quilter to have it done. This quilt is for her soon to be grandchild. Upon receipt of the quilt, the quilt is so badly quilted that it she cant give it to the new grandchild. When the quilt was given to the quilter it was perfectly square(the quilter commented on that). It has pinwheels, appliqued animals and shashing. The sashing since being quilted is no longer straight, the applique animals are puckered, the quilt is no longer square. As a fellow quilter I couldnt believe the condition it came back in. So my question to you is. Should she ask for the money back from the quilting. I say yes. Should she ask for the money that it is going to take to replace the fabric? What would you suggest she do?? Thanks
Ask for money back. Buy two good seam rippers, one for you and one for your friend. Take plenty of pictures and if the quilt is very damaged after removing the stitching, consider small claims court.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Ok, I've seen many replies stating how bad the quilt looks, but not one photo.
The quilt should have been inspected before accepting it back...if it was sent to someone, photos of the quilt should have been taken before shipping & requested (I always send progress reports) before payment made.
Several reasons for a quilt not staying square are:
1. Not securing the quilt as it's being quilted. That's a basic for any longarm quilter...wether it be with pins, or basting stitches...you measure and keep the quilt squared as you go.
2. Uneven quilting...the quilting done was denser in some areas, and sparse in others.
3. If the longarm quilter also bound the quilt, she/he may have not have gotten the binding on evenly (another sign of a new longarm quilter).
4. If the quilt had blocks that were to be quilted individually...or if the quilt needed stabilizing...and it wasn't done...that can throw the quilt out of square.
5.. Was the quilt blocked after quilting? Sometimes they have to be, depending on the quilt design(s) used.

Your friend could ask for a refund, but she accepted the quilt back...and if she didn't let the quilter know right away, she may have a hard time with any recourse. She could ask the quilter to fix her/his errors, if there is time.

Another solution would be to remove the quilting & tie the quilt with ribbon or yarn, every 4" or so. This can be a beautiful fix, if done properly. The quilt could then be rinsed and dried to remove holes caused by quilting.
Marge

Originally Posted by Love2Quilt
A friend of mine sent a beautiful baby quilt to the long arm quilter to have it done. This quilt is for her soon to be grandchild. Upon receipt of the quilt, the quilt is so badly quilted that it she cant give it to the new grandchild. When the quilt was given to the quilter it was perfectly square(the quilter commented on that). It has pinwheels, appliqued animals and shashing. The sashing since being quilted is no longer straight, the applique animals are puckered, the quilt is no longer square. As a fellow quilter I couldnt believe the condition it came back in. So my question to you is. Should she ask for the money back from the quilting. I say yes. Should she ask for the money that it is going to take to replace the fabric? What would you suggest she do?? Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

So sorry, I would ask for my money back.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 AM

I am so sorry for your bad experience. Def ask for your money back.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
I would ask for a refund and also to have HER remove the stitching. or pay for fabric. If she won't I'd be sure to share her name so no one else uses her
The woman would NEVER touch anything of mine again. If she didn't care enough about the quilt to do quality work, she sure wouldn't do quality stitch removing.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Yes, she should ask for money back. If the LAQer cares that little about the results I wouldn't ask her to rip the stitches out --- she'd probably rip the fabric. There's no excuse for that with a small baby quilt. Large King size even shouldn't have a problem with crooked sashings IF the quilt is straight on to begin with!!!! As a LAQer, I'd want someone to contact me if they're unhappy --- however, NONE of mine have looked that way -- not even my first one!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:04 PM

I have a friend who had the same thing happen with single bed size quilt and she got her money back then undid the quilting and quilted it herself on her domestic machine