Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas on a Red/White Checkerboard quilt pattern >

Looking for ideas on a Red/White Checkerboard quilt pattern

Looking for ideas on a Red/White Checkerboard quilt pattern

Old 03-15-2016, 01:03 AM

i would ask her to more precisely define checkerboard or for her to show me a photo/show me in a magazine, -- because one person's checkerboard doesn't necessarily = another's...
Old 03-15-2016, 08:23 AM

Folks this checkerboard will be queen size just in case you thought a smaller quilt. The last time I talked with her about what size she wanted, full queen bedspread size or comforter size she wouldn't give me an answer. Think she was miffed at me at the time. No matter. I could just make red and white blocks as someone mentioned and then quilt something in each block in the opposite colored thread so they stand out. At that rate the blocks will be at least 8-10 inches as I don't even want to think smaller and custom quilting the darn thing.

Thanks again for your suggestions as it does give me ideas to look at. To think such a simple idea is causing me so much grief in the planning of it. I have been collecting various reds and white/neutral fabrics for variation.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 AM

Nancy, your quilt is adorable.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I would not consider a D4P a checkerboard. To me a checkerboard is just that, alternating squares of red and white. I do like the idea of the gradating color. I would have her look at pinterest red and white quilts and see if something stands out to her. The Vortex quilt pictured here: http://folkartmuseum.org/exhibitions...-white-quilts/ is one of my favorites and on my someday list but I wouldn't consider this a checkerboard either, however I think it is a closer approximation of a checkerboard than a D4P. Even DIC or TIC would be more checkerboard-esque than a D4P. But that said, people who don't quilt and don't know how to describe something sometimes come up with some pretty offbeat ways to say what they think they mean. She could mean she wants a red and white quilt in squares and rectangles only, as opposed to say star type quilts.

another thing you can consider, Piece it like a checkerboard with smaller squars but quilt is as though it were a whole cloth, ignoring the piecing entirely. I have seen many a stunning quilt done that way.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-15-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:27 AM

Sushi, I've seen a quilt that's a bit hard to describe but it looks distorted like its coming right at you. I know there's a lady in a foreign country that makes these and even sells her patterns. She's awesome in her quilting too. For the life of me I can't remember her name but think it starts with an "Leu" something. Your idea of graduated blocks from light to dark or vice versa is another idea to ponder on so thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 AM

Feline Fanatic, the Vortex quilt is something I've considered. I know a lady in some foreign land under the name "Leu??????" sells her patterns of this sort. Have one on my "Bucket List" so maybe now is the time to try it. Wonder how well they'd be able to sleep under a quilt made up in a vortex pattern???????? Might make them dizzy??????

Thanks Feline.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Are you thinking of Geta??

http://www.romanianquiltstudio.com/english/patterns.htm

Or this one that the pattern isn't in English

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...-quilt-/143891

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-16-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:54 PM

Feline I thought her website started with "Leu" but yes it was Geta's site but I couldn't find the pattern I was thinking of. But the Craftsy one looks similar to it but I'm wondering how difficult it will be to enlarge it as its quite small.

If anyone is good with EQ7 and can help me with enlarging this quilt pattern, I'd be appreciative.

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...-quilt-/143891
Old 03-16-2016, 07:43 PM

To me, a checker board quilt looks like a checker board - two fabrics cut into equal sized squares and pieced. A sashing and border around the checkerboard completes the quilt top. It's easy and fast, and the right fabrics can make it into a gorgeous quilt.

I made one to be a charity quilt, and loved it so much that I donated it to me! All of the fabrics and batting were from my own stash, so my conscience is clear about it. If it had even one square of fabric from one of the guilds that I belong to, some child would have it. That is a very strict rule that I made for myself as I don't want to consider the fabrics in the guild closets an extension of my stash.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:54 AM

I've finally made up my mind to try the vortex pattern from craftsy someone directed me to. Its plainly a checkboard but with a bit of spice to it. I'll still use my variety of reds and whites/neutrals I've been collecting for it and will need to enlarge the pattern quite a bit to make it a queen size. I've been wanting to try one of these patterns so here's my chance at it. Thanks to all who have made suggestions.