Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for sympathy >

looking for sympathy

looking for sympathy

Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM

I've had good luck with Retayne also - got it at Hancock's.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Grandma's serect stain remover has made a believer of me. It might help you. It has removed ink from a skirt that had been washed and dried many times. It also worked on a red wine stain and blood. I first found it at my local quilt shop. I have also seen it online at different quilt sites.

I had that happen to me too. I was lucky in that it was the top that bled to the back, so I wasn't to upset.

Sorry this has happen to you.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Besides using the washing suggestions, I would take the quilt to the Joann's.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 AM

I would suggest using it as is and wash when needed. no one is going to notice but you. cw
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Iam so sorry this has happened to you...but we learn from our mistakes....if it were me I think I would NOT put anymore stress on the quilt using agents to remove the stain.....I would definitely do a decorative stitch over the lines that are showing...it may be a little more work but think about the look afterwards...good luck to you because I have put this mistake in my quilting book for what NOT to do when making a quilt......Trish
Old 06-10-2012, 03:32 PM

Besides doing the deco stitching, you could add pretty trims, lace, ribbons, etc. over the stitch lines....kinda like a crazy quilt. It might hide the bleached lines and add a bit of pizazz. I have also learned my lesson and prewash all fabrics going into a quilt. I can only wish that I had found this board before making that oops.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by wattse2000 View Post
Too late! I just finished bleaching the most obnoxious line with a small paint brush. I do think the bleached line looks better than the hot pink stripe. Ugh. What a nightmare!!!
I agree that the bleached line is better than the pink. However, it does look as though the "line" goes along the lime green fabric. Since the bleach might have weakened the stitching, you might consider stitching over the [now]white quilting lines with a green thread and bobbin - even using a narrow satin stitch if you'd like. Just a thought. It IS a lovely quilt. Connie
Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

It's lovely despite the tribulations. A bit of decorative ric-rac could work wonders. Now....onwards and upwards to your next project....which I'm guessing will be constructed of all pre-washed, pre-shrunk and bomb-proof fabrics. Chin up and happy quilting.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 AM

And one more idea to add - use it until you are tired of it or ready to take on another project. Then piece a top the same size, and use the birthing method to attach the new pieced top to the flannel side of the quilt. Use a pattern that you can tie down rather than quilt. You will end up with a double sided quilt. Or use the birthing method to attach the quilt to the existing top and quilt down. Either way you recycle the quilt and if in 50 years someone takes it apart, they find a surprise inside! I have done this with other quilts that can't be mended anymore due to hard use.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Sorry, haven't read all the suggestions, but most of them. The only thing I can suggest is to get some fabric paint pens the closest match to your greens and paint over the bleach line. if you are careful you may get a really good match. Otherwise, use the quilt, enjoy it, and next time you will think of things like this!