Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for sympathy >

looking for sympathy

looking for sympathy

Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 PM

I think sewing decorative stitches would be the answer
Old 06-09-2012, 05:02 PM

The red quilting thread bleed on my quilt. Washed it 4 times and used about 6 color catchers per load. Ended up using the whole box. I did not dry it between washings.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 PM

I'd be worried that the bleach will weaken the threads / quilting. ISafer to stay with washing & other treatments folks here have suggested.

Originally Posted by wattse2000 View Post
I was just thinking maybe I'd try applying bleach to the quilting lines that show up really bad on that bright green fabric. I guess it couldn't get any worse!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Worst/best case scenario:

You finish the quilt.
You use the quilt all the time - because it will be 'okay' if someone spills on it.
It ends up being the most loved and used quilt ever!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Sorry for your bad luck....all that work but I hear you can save it with a color catcher. You can also make some with stabalizers and salt. Haven't tried either but just finishing up a flannel quilt that I will definitely buy some for.

http://www.ehow.com/how_10034977_mak...r-catcher.html
Old 06-09-2012, 07:49 PM

I appreciate all these responses so much. I am almost in tears reading how kind and considerate you all are to take the time to respond. The quilt is back on the bed and will just have to serve as a reminder to "go with the flow" for now. Each day that passes helps me to realize that its not the end of the world. At least it's still keeping us warm! In any case, I will be purchasing some color catchers and synthropol ASAP and I will likely not purchase joann's flannel for backing again!!! Now, I guess I'll have to start thinking about what i can do for its replacement...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Quilters! I need to cry on your collective shoulders. I made an enormous, queen-size, zig zag quilt for our bed. I love it. It's the first time I've ever used flannel backing -- I believe it was the snuggle flannel from Joann's. Anyway, I finally washed it and the flannel (hot pink) has bled through to the front where the quilting lines are!!!! Oh no!!!! So, so sad Is there anything I can do now?

To late to help you, but this should be a lesson to be sure to wash bright colors---------and for sure wash flannel.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 PM

I am soooo sorry for the damage the bleach has done to your quilt. Is it possible you might try to color neutralize the pink/white stripes from the bleach with dye sticks, sharpie or other permanent markers? In a former job, I had to "touch up" the damages to photos by using photo dyes. The key was to neutralize the damage color with the color on the opposite side of the color wheel, then carefully "dot" in another color to blend in the restored area. Like blue on yellow to make a green, etc. Definitely something to try on the edges where the trial runs would be less noticeable. Just a thought.....
Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 PM

If I were to use a flannel backing for a quilt, first of all, I would stay with a neutral white or beige and wash a couple of times for shrinkage before actually sewing the backing together and adding it to the quilt. Just my humble opinion, but you would be assured of no fading issues. Also, you can use salt in the water with color flannel to set the color. My Mom used to do that to new jeans when she bought them for us before we were allowed to wear them to prevent the blue denim fading on our underwear.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 AM

Default Color catchers and/or embroidery

Quilters! I need to cry on your collective shoulders. I made an enormous, queen-size, zig zag quilt for our bed. I love it. It's the first time I've ever used flannel backing -- I believe it was the snuggle flannel from Joann's. Anyway, I finally washed it and the flannel (hot pink) has bled through to the front where the quilting lines are!!!! Oh no!!!! So, so sad Is there anything I can do now?
I put 8 color catchers in the washing machine with a pink and black quilts after a drink was spilt on it and the dye ran.. All but one of the color catchers came out of the wash looking black or purple - the final one was grey - it saved the quilt though the pink was a little duller than it had been originally.
But if all else fails could you embroider along the quilt lines and tell yourself and anyone who asks that it's an original design. Good luck.