Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lots of Stash Questions >

Lots of Stash Questions

Lots of Stash Questions

Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Oh dear, this is a BIG question.
I used to buy small amounts of fabric, fat quarters, half yards etc.
Now I tend to buy by the bolt or what's left on the bolt at least a minimum of 3 yards at a time.
I wouldn't leave pins in my fabrics, a bit of humid weather and you'll have little rust marks.
My large pieces of fabric are stored on heavy duty chrome racking. For smaller bits and pieces I have quite few (I've be accumulating fabric for years and years) of those plastic drawers on wheels. If they are all the same brand you can lift the lid, and stack one on top of the other. I love them because you can pull the drawer right out, rummage through it, and then just slot it back in place.
As for wanting to know the price, sometimes you are better off not knowing (grin). If I ever need to cost my quilts, I just base the cost on current prices.
HTH
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM

The type of quilts I have made so far are paper pieced (Karen Stone/Judy Neimeyer) and it is hard to know up front exactly how much of a particular fabric I will need. I never purchase a fabric that doesn't excite me, and never less than 3 yards.
Like most quilters, I LOVE FABRIC. I had my back rebuilt this past year. When I was finally able to sit in a chair at the computer while under the influence of much pain medication, I bought over a thousand dollars worth of fabric (OOPS). Needless to say, I have plenty of fabric to work with.
I keep my fabric pretty much grouped by color/coordination on wire shelved above my sewing area in the basement, however my husband keeps leaving the back door open for the dogs to go in and out. I am worried about little cotton moths munching up my beautiful fabric so I have bought several boxes of 10 gallon ziploc bags that I will put my fabric in once I have washed and thoroughly dried it all. That way, I will still be able to sit and ponder/agonize/plan my next quilt (the best part).
I have been unable to work or do very much since my surgery, and I just want to say that I look forward to getting this newsletter and reading everyones input. You are all such a caring group of people that has helped me tremendously!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I just noticed there is "community benefactor" under my "name" =
how do I make it go away?
Click on the "community benefactor" and it opens a window explaining it.....
Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Since I used to work at a quilt shop, I probably have the largest stash going. Actually, I have been going through it and reorganzing and donating what I won't use. Before, I would organize it according to color on 4 white bookcase shelves I bought at WalMart and put together. Now this does not include fat quarters---will explain those later.
Now that I am redoing my sewing room and am getting older and realizing that I would never be able to use up all this fabric, I have started grouping ones that I know I purchased for specific projects together in rubbermaid or sterlite plastic containers depending on size of project and labeling them. They all are fitting on 2 white wire covered shelves that I have added, at least for now. The others are being shelved by color on the white shelves. Any fabric I am letting go of is going to a group in my hometown called "My Very Own Blanket" as they make quilts for foster kids in Ohio and teach the women prisoners at the prison in Marysville how to make them which makes me feel good that they are doing something to help society. As for fat quarters, I bought 2 wire racks that hang on the doors that are for canned goods or spices in the kitchen supply areas. If you fold the fat quarters in half and half again they fit great and I can reach them at a moments notice.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM

I started my stash 20+ yrs ago. In the beginning, and now carried on as it's a big help.
I bought Plasitic notebook sheets that are used by photographers to hold 32mm. slides, one for each color.
Into each pocket I put a folded card that fits the hole. On the front of the card I glue (staple) a square of fabric. On the back is written the amt. of fabric, it's cost by yd., total, date & where purchased, mfg., designer, theme. When I use any, I note how much remains. Inside I can write anything special (quilt it's for, or a larger piece of fabric if helpful. Can take the sheet with the color I need when I go shipping.
This all started because I needed a backing for brown quilt. I found out later I bought 7 yds at 2 sales of brown with white dots for that quilt. (total 14 yds.)
The fabric was stored in Apple Boxes and marked as to color (later Plastic Boxes). I've moved 3 times with my stash (once had a Yard sale in Calif. (invited all the Guild mbrs. made $1,000+) And now look for fabrics I know I had.
I moved to VA and live w/ my daughter, because the stash takes up so much space, I rent a Storage locker for it ($100. a mo), which is 7 miles away- "very convenient"
"BEWARE Quilting as a Hobby can get expensive. CECELIA
Old 06-11-2009, 04:24 PM

I only have a small stash, mostly of fabrics I must have but also have large leftover pieces from other projects. Mine are stored (and not very neatly right now) in storage bins from IKEA. They are not very expensive and hold up great. I'll try and send pix. Haven't mastered this yet.

Storage shelves in small closet of bedroom which doubles as my sewing room.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36034[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-36034.jpe  
Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 PM

If I really like a fabric and have no specific purpose for it I buy two yards. I buy FQ but only in a specific color group that I want to make a scrappy sort of quilt from. I sort my material by color and put in large plastics bags like ones you buy sheets in. And all of those go in clear bins. The large pieces of material I measure and write on a piece of paper and pin it to it. I keep those together in another bin. I also have a bin of 2 to 3 inch strips I'll use for a strip quilt. I've gotten several out of that bin. When I purchase material for a special project I always buy more than it calls for. I hate to run short. I have some material that has appeared in four different quilts.
It looks like everyone has their own thing going and you will too.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I just love stash questions.
1. How much: when I really like a fabric, how much I buy of it, depends on the size of the print. If it would make a good border, then I buy from 3 1/2 to 6 yards....so I can have some to put in the center. I'd say, I 'average', 4 yards.
If it is a small to medium print, I buy about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yards, depending on the color, and if I think I already have a bundle at home, (I put 95% of my fabrics in separate bundles, for individual projects)...if I think I have a bundle at home it will go with, I'll probably get 1 1/2 yards, unless, I think part of it, will be a border as well as go in blocks. Then I will buy 2 1/2 at least.
I quilt in sections, esp. the back, so I can use different fabrics, and mix them up. I use a 1/2" seam. So, I can buy whatever I can afford of a packed print, to use for backing fabric.
2. Storing Stash: In my humble opinion, and my own experience, the best way to store your stash is on shelves with a curtain. My main stash is like this, and all I have to do to get to it, is open the curtain, and locate the bundle, which is quite easy, and very enjoyable! I used to have bins...they were labeled, but would have to move and move them, open and dig, dig, dig....I'm in hog heaven with shelves!!!!
3. Knowing how much you have: I have been using masking tape and a fine point marker, for about four years, now. I write the name/description of the fabric. Under that, a little larger, I put amount of fabric...I do this to make it ez to read at a glance,...and then on bottom line, is the book, page number, and item number, where I keep the receipt for that fabric. A typical label might look like this:
B2P254NO12
translation:
B-BOOK
P-PAGE (page in book)
NO-NUMBER
THEN THE NUMBER. (I number the fabrics I bought, on the receipt with a line separating each one.
I buy all fabrics separately from other items. I keep all receipts.
I tape the receipt in a spiral notebook that is numbered, and the pages are numbered. When I get ready to wash the fabric, I clip the corners of the selvedge and attach one piece to the receipt in book, and one piece to the 'tag' that the store put on it.
If they didn't put a tag on it, that is when I make a label with the tape. If they do put a tag on it, I just jot the book, page, item numbers, (like example), on it, pin the little selvedge piece on, with a few descriptive words, in case piece gets lost.
Why do I keep these little corner pieces?
Bc after washing, occasionally I will have trouble deciding which label (that had to be removed b4 going into washer), goes on which fabric. I'm pretty descriptive, but with a little sample, it makes it much easier to identify later.
With the corners of my fabric cut, I know it has been washed and dried.
I do, however, also put W _ D__ I__ on label, for washed, dried, ironed, and check them off as it is done.
I am on second book, about page 254, and with that information, I can add up a good approximate of prices, yardage, age of fabric, embellishments....of any project.
Is this a little time consuming...yes, but it satisfies something in me...a need to know. It makes me happy, and doesn't hurt anything to keep these records, so there you have it...
QNC's quirky cataloguing tips, for likeminded quirky quilters :wink:
Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM

OMG. And I thought I was organized!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM

This whole subject and everyone sharing does seem like a 12 Step meeting. It is comforting to know I'm not the only one that has been compulsive and out of control with buying fabric.
I loved the "just say no". You guys are great!