Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers >

Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

Old 05-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I prefer to buy fabrics in person. I feel it and look closely at it, if it seems like quality, I buy it.
I have on used a couple on your list. I buy what I want to spend money on and have no desire to pay extra money to help them out.
I have never had fabric fade after a few washings.
I have one quilt that I used blue/with tan and tan fabrics. One of the blues faded dreadfully. It's almost as pale as the tans now. They were all purchased at the same time from the same store (Northwest Fabrics).
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I dislike ordering on line immensely. I would rather go to the stores where I can feel them. I'm totally done ordering or even purchasing pre-cuts. Yardage is much less expensive and I prewash everything because of allergies and bleeds.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM

You are going to find good and bad in every brand of fabric. I don't look at the name of the manufacturer...If ordering online, I take that into account, but it's not my deciding factor. If I buy a fabric online (usually batiks & muslins), I check it when the order comes in...if it's not up to my standards/needs, then I contact the company and return it. I've only had to do this twice in 10 years...so, not bad.
All those cottons you tossed because they weren't name brands, probably were just fine...I'd have used them, or donated them to charity.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
I took Timeless Treasures off my list of acceptable brands recently when their fabric shrunk 3.25 inches in width when I washed it.
Then you would probably want to take Michael Miller off your list, too.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:33 AM

I have found that some of the best will bleed when first washed that is why I wash everything with a color catcher before I dare put it into a quilt.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I have found that some of the best will bleed when first washed that is why I wash everything with a color catcher before I dare put it into a quilt.
I think there is a difference between a fabric that bleeds and one that has excess dye.

In my opinion - one that has excess dye - there will be color in the water for maybe two or three washings - and then the rinse water is clear after that.

A bleeder NEVER quits putting out color.

I will use a fabric that HAD excess dye - I will NOT use a bleeder or donate it, either. I will try to return it, though. In my opinion, a bleeder (unless the end label has warned me) is defective.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Elizabeth Studios is another which I've had good experience with. My LQS normally only carries 1 bolt of a particular grouping and then I'm left to find the rest of the grouping. I would buy and do buy Elizabeth Studios fabric on line.

My other go to favorite is Northcott although I've not purchased any of the Stonehedge lines so I can't verify those.

I went to my LQS last week and found some I just had to have fabric. My LQS is charging $15 a yard. I want to support my LQS, but at $15 a yard I'm going to purchasing on line,
Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Hmmmm ------

I still soak everything in hot water for several hours and then gently wash and dry it before cutting it.

I have had issues with several of those listed - offhand, I can name Moda - a red bled; Michael Miller- shrinkage of over two inches in width of their black; some older Jinny Beyer fsbrics bled - a red and a blue; the red in a Hoffmann floral bled.

I like many of the VIP-Cranston fabrics - but not all of them. They seem to vary.

I made a point of looking at the Moda precuts at Hancocks of Paducah a couple weeks ago. they seemed very loosely woven for my taste.

Actually, some of the fabrics that I like best in my stash have no identification on their selvages.

Color catcher by Shout and cold water. I don't prewash precuts but most of my quilts are small and don't plan on washing them. Personally would never soak anything in hot water.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilting in my60s View Post

Color catcher by Shout and cold water. I don't prewash precuts but most of my quilts are small and don't plan on washing them. Personally would never soak anything in hot water.
Mine go to people that have kids - I assume that they will not have Color Catchers on hand - and that they might get washed by someone that has no clue about "the proper way" to care for a quilt. Or baby just peed, pooped, or puked on it and the caretaker just wants to toss it in the machine and get it clean.

Different criteria for different purposes, eh?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:50 AM

I have to say that ghostrider said it well...

I honestly look for the design I like 1st. I pre wash everything, yes even fqs. I wash them by hand. I have lots of sensitivities due to Lupus, and many things including sizing can get me in a flare.

And I agree everyone is different in what we like. If we all liked the same thing what a dull world it would be...

Regards,
Kif