Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Making potholders

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    hmm, I have some felted wool fabric leftover from another project - that might work nicely too.
    I have two men's wool sweaters that were accidentally felted.
    :mrgreen: I'm planning to cut them up to line potholders.

It is spacifacly made to reflect heat. I will have to ask the name of it next time I go to joann's. At the time I just ask them for some kind of batting that would work in potholders. She said that is what it was for. If I get a chance to drop into joann's I will find out and get back to you.

I have handmade potholder hot pad trivets for a couple years now mainly for sale. I used the InsulBrite insulating fabric from Walmart or JoAnne Fabrics. The shiny side would go towards your cotton print fabric. The otherside goes against the prequilted plain color fabric.

I used the pre-quilted fabric to follow the quilted lines on and to give the potholder an extra layer of batting as well.

Many of my potholder hot pads are currently listed on Ebay. I did sell 8 sets of potholders to one buyer recently. Then I made more potholders so I would have a longer set of postings on Ebay. Hope this helps you out. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ.

I use 2 layers of insulbrite and 2 layers of batting! I like a heavy duty pot holder. I was afraid that much would be too stiff, but once I quilt them, they are perfect!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah2009
    I have handmade potholder hot pad trivets for a couple years now mainly for sale. I used the InsulBrite insulating fabric from Walmart or JoAnne Fabrics. The shiny side would go towards your cotton print fabric. The otherside goes against the prequilted plain color fabric.

I used the pre-quilted fabric to follow the quilted lines on and to give the potholder an extra layer of batting as well.

Many of my potholder hot pads are currently listed on Ebay. I did sell 8 sets of potholders to one buyer recently. Then I made more potholders so I would have a longer set of postings on Ebay. Hope this helps you out. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ.
    Again, you just have to watch that the prequilted fabric isn't polyester batting in the middle. Most of what I have had was polyester. It will melt if gotten too hot and cause a nasty burn.

I buy insulbrite at Hobby Lobby

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    I have made these pot holders, they are addictive. I did a criss-cross stitch in the center to tack everything down, they work great!

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by NanSew
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

I have made these pot holders, they are addictive. I did a criss-cross stitch in the center to tack everything down, they work great!
    I'm gonna start on some tomorrow. Got the chores all out of the way today. Tomorrow is play day! I want to make a couple for every one of my female relatives for Christmas. They look like they'd be fun to work on. I've got so many odds 'n ends of small fabric pieces that'll work well with them. I also bought a big batch of insulbrite once, a couple of years ago when it was on sale. Now I'll get to use it up.

8-)

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Please tell me what materials you prefer, batting/insulated fabric, and where you buy it. One of my old books says to buy an ironing board cover & cut it up!! Thanks once again.
    Walmart had insulbrite the other day.

Make the first one for you!

Please tell me what materials you prefer, batting/insulated fabric, and where you buy it. One of my old books says to buy an ironing board cover & cut it up!! Thanks once again.
    I have used insulbrite but I just use, mostly, 2-3 layers of batting and that works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev

I'm gonna start on some tomorrow. Got the chores all out of the way today. Tomorrow is play day! I want to make a couple for every one of my female relatives for Christmas. They look like they'd be fun to work on. I've got so many odds 'n ends of small fabric pieces that'll work well with them. I also bought a big batch of insulbrite once, a couple of years ago when it was on sale. Now I'll get to use it up.

8-)
    Sounds like you have a fun and productive day ahead of you. O made them one year for all the female family members. Another year I mad trivets by sewing two pieces of fabric together leaving on end open. I then sewed channels into it and filled the channels with rice leaving just enough head space to top stitch the opening closed. They loved these too.

I use insulbrite and warm and natural batting, plus the top and the back. I make many of these for my family and friends. They say they love them!!

This is the mat I was making a few days ago & tried to do FMQ on it & broke 10 needles before I realized it was just too thick to do FMQ. I love making them though but just won't try to get so fancy with them the next time. Live & learn.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    insul-brite and cotton batting.
    Can I ask why you used both Insulbrite & a batting? I just used Insulbrite & thought it was lofty enough. Maybe I'll try both the next time.

The criss-cross pot holder looks like a coaster pattern I found on the internet - except the coaster was a smaller version. Very easy. I used batting and plastic inside for the coaster.

Blog Entries
    i get some from fabric.com and when i get a ride i go and i buy from joann,s but mosty on line

If it's just to use up a sample block I might just use left over batting. For mats for hot pots to rest on I would probably use an insulated product.

I can feed my addiction at the Fabric Depot here in Portland. (For those of you who are not from the Pacific NW...Fabric Depot is 1 1/2 acres of fabric, bridal, home dec, needle craft and more of heavenly things. They do have an on line site.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bev

8-)
    Sounds like you have a fun and productive day ahead of you. O made them one year for all the female family members. Another year I mad trivets by sewing two pieces of fabric together leaving on end open. I then sewed channels into it and filled the channels with rice leaving just enough head space to top stitch the opening closed. They loved these too.
    The trivets are a cute idea!!

great idea! never would have thought of that

I use insulbrite and cotton batting. Have never thought about the ironing board cover idea. I think it would need to be one with the heat protection. Also use insulbrite for placemats.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this topic. What a wealth of ideas!

Where is that potholder swap
    Have you all seen the potholder swap? Now I'm hooked!

Bev
    8-)[/quote]
    Sounds like you have a fun and productive day ahead of you. O made them one year for all the female family members. Another year I mad trivets by sewing two pieces of fabric together leaving on end open. I then sewed channels into it and filled the channels with rice leaving just enough head space to top stitch the opening closed. They loved these too.[/quote]

This sounds good too. Who wouldn't want to have a pretty and useful trivet. I'll put that on my list. Sounds easy enough. Maybe matching trivets and potholders for the lucky recipients.
    I love this board!

Looks like it's potholders for Christmas. What a quick project.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast