Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 95

Thread: Making potholders

  1. #51
    Senior Member Sandy1951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Loudonville, Ohio
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    hmm, I have some felted wool fabric leftover from another project - that might work nicely too.
    I have two men's wool sweaters that were accidentally felted.
    :mrgreen: I'm planning to cut them up to line potholders.

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    western Oregon
    Posts
    343
    It is spacifacly made to reflect heat. I will have to ask the name of it next time I go to joann's. At the time I just ask them for some kind of batting that would work in potholders. She said that is what it was for. If I get a chance to drop into joann's I will find out and get back to you.

  3. #53
    Deborah2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    35
    I have handmade potholder hot pad trivets for a couple years now mainly for sale. I used the InsulBrite insulating fabric from Walmart or JoAnne Fabrics. The shiny side would go towards your cotton print fabric. The otherside goes against the prequilted plain color fabric.

    I used the pre-quilted fabric to follow the quilted lines on and to give the potholder an extra layer of batting as well.

    Many of my potholder hot pads are currently listed on Ebay. I did sell 8 sets of potholders to one buyer recently. Then I made more potholders so I would have a longer set of postings on Ebay. Hope this helps you out. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ.

  4. #54
    Super Member Monika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,017
    I use 2 layers of insulbrite and 2 layers of batting! I like a heavy duty pot holder. I was afraid that much would be too stiff, but once I quilt them, they are perfect!

  5. #55
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,761
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah2009
    I have handmade potholder hot pad trivets for a couple years now mainly for sale. I used the InsulBrite insulating fabric from Walmart or JoAnne Fabrics. The shiny side would go towards your cotton print fabric. The otherside goes against the prequilted plain color fabric.

    I used the pre-quilted fabric to follow the quilted lines on and to give the potholder an extra layer of batting as well.

    Many of my potholder hot pads are currently listed on Ebay. I did sell 8 sets of potholders to one buyer recently. Then I made more potholders so I would have a longer set of postings on Ebay. Hope this helps you out. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ.
    Again, you just have to watch that the prequilted fabric isn't polyester batting in the middle. Most of what I have had was polyester. It will melt if gotten too hot and cause a nasty burn.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    619
    I buy insulbrite at Hobby Lobby

  7. #57
    NanSew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Flushing, Michigan
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

    I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    I have made these pot holders, they are addictive. I did a criss-cross stitch in the center to tack everything down, they work great!

  8. #58
    Bev
    Bev is offline
    Super Member Bev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by NanSew
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

    I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    I have made these pot holders, they are addictive. I did a criss-cross stitch in the center to tack everything down, they work great!
    I'm gonna start on some tomorrow. Got the chores all out of the way today. Tomorrow is play day! I want to make a couple for every one of my female relatives for Christmas. They look like they'd be fun to work on. I've got so many odds 'n ends of small fabric pieces that'll work well with them. I also bought a big batch of insulbrite once, a couple of years ago when it was on sale. Now I'll get to use it up.

    8-)

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mid Michigan
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Please tell me what materials you prefer, batting/insulated fabric, and where you buy it. One of my old books says to buy an ironing board cover & cut it up!! Thanks once again.
    Walmart had insulbrite the other day.

  10. #60
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,487
    Make the first one for you!

  11. #61
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Please tell me what materials you prefer, batting/insulated fabric, and where you buy it. One of my old books says to buy an ironing board cover & cut it up!! Thanks once again.
    I have used insulbrite but I just use, mostly, 2-3 layers of batting and that works fine for me.

  12. #62
    NanSew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Flushing, Michigan
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by NanSew
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

    I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    I have made these pot holders, they are addictive. I did a criss-cross stitch in the center to tack everything down, they work great!
    I'm gonna start on some tomorrow. Got the chores all out of the way today. Tomorrow is play day! I want to make a couple for every one of my female relatives for Christmas. They look like they'd be fun to work on. I've got so many odds 'n ends of small fabric pieces that'll work well with them. I also bought a big batch of insulbrite once, a couple of years ago when it was on sale. Now I'll get to use it up.

    8-)
    Sounds like you have a fun and productive day ahead of you. O made them one year for all the female family members. Another year I mad trivets by sewing two pieces of fabric together leaving on end open. I then sewed channels into it and filled the channels with rice leaving just enough head space to top stitch the opening closed. They loved these too.

  13. #63
    Junior Member Donna Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    100 miles South of Orlando, FL
    Posts
    247
    I use insulbrite and warm and natural batting, plus the top and the back. I make many of these for my family and friends. They say they love them!!

  14. #64
    Super Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Arizona
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

    I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    This is the mat I was making a few days ago & tried to do FMQ on it & broke 10 needles before I realized it was just too thick to do FMQ. I love making them though but just won't try to get so fancy with them the next time. Live & learn.

  15. #65
    Super Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Arizona
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    insul-brite and cotton batting.
    Can I ask why you used both Insulbrite & a batting? I just used Insulbrite & thought it was lofty enough. Maybe I'll try both the next time.

  16. #66
    Junior Member Deb53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    146
    The criss-cross pot holder looks like a coaster pattern I found on the internet - except the coaster was a smaller version. Very easy. I used batting and plastic inside for the coaster.

  17. #67
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    s.cal
    Posts
    2,070
    Blog Entries
    1
    i get some from fabric.com and when i get a ride i go and i buy from joann,s but mosty on line

  18. #68
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR via Hawaii
    Posts
    1,339
    If it's just to use up a sample block I might just use left over batting. For mats for hot pots to rest on I would probably use an insulated product.

    I can feed my addiction at the Fabric Depot here in Portland. (For those of you who are not from the Pacific NW...Fabric Depot is 1 1/2 acres of fabric, bridal, home dec, needle craft and more of heavenly things. They do have an on line site.)

  19. #69
    Super Member Carol W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by NanSew
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by NanSew
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

    I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    I have made these pot holders, they are addictive. I did a criss-cross stitch in the center to tack everything down, they work great!


    I'm gonna start on some tomorrow. Got the chores all out of the way today. Tomorrow is play day! I want to make a couple for every one of my female relatives for Christmas. They look like they'd be fun to work on. I've got so many odds 'n ends of small fabric pieces that'll work well with them. I also bought a big batch of insulbrite once, a couple of years ago when it was on sale. Now I'll get to use it up.

    8-)
    Sounds like you have a fun and productive day ahead of you. O made them one year for all the female family members. Another year I mad trivets by sewing two pieces of fabric together leaving on end open. I then sewed channels into it and filled the channels with rice leaving just enough head space to top stitch the opening closed. They loved these too.
    The trivets are a cute idea!!

  20. #70
    Super Member jeannie t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    1,234
    great idea! never would have thought of that

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    currently AR Ozarks
    Posts
    599
    I use insulbrite and cotton batting. Have never thought about the ironing board cover idea. I think it would need to be one with the heat protection. Also use insulbrite for placemats.

  22. #72
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,487
    Thanks to everyone who has responded to this topic. What a wealth of ideas!

  23. #73

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11
    Where is that potholder swap
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Have you all seen the potholder swap? Now I'm hooked!

  24. #74
    Bev
    Bev is offline
    Super Member Bev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,188
    8-)[/quote]
    Sounds like you have a fun and productive day ahead of you. O made them one year for all the female family members. Another year I mad trivets by sewing two pieces of fabric together leaving on end open. I then sewed channels into it and filled the channels with rice leaving just enough head space to top stitch the opening closed. They loved these too.[/quote]

    This sounds good too. Who wouldn't want to have a pretty and useful trivet. I'll put that on my list. Sounds easy enough. Maybe matching trivets and potholders for the lucky recipients.
    I love this board!

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    951
    Looks like it's potholders for Christmas. What a quick project.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.