Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Making potholders

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pstoner
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    I use Insulbrite from Joann's. It's very cheap and also a layer of cotton batting.
    So my question is...do I need special batting? I was wanting to make some with my scraps, but was unsure if they required something special in them (non burning).
    I've used old cotton towels. 2 layers thick; sew layer to each pot holder side and quilt each one separately then join the sides with binding and a couple of "ties" in the center to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Please tell me what materials you prefer, batting/insulated fabric, and where you buy it. One of my old books says to buy an ironing board cover & cut it up!! Thanks once again.
    what a great idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have used heavy duty aluminium foil between cotton batting. Washes fine.
    Really! Who'da thought!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have used heavy duty aluminium foil between cotton batting. Washes fine.
    Really! Who'da thought!

Do you quilt thru the aluminium foil like regular?

Blog Entries
    I did a *duh* last night. I was up until 2:30 this morning sewing, making a sample pot holder (never made one before.) After I got it quilted and the binding put on, I realized I only put one layer of w&n inside it. Really ticked me off as I was really pleased how it turned out. I guess it will make a nice candle mat, or something to put under a warm plate in my lap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I did a *duh* last night. I was up until 2:30 this morning sewing, making a sample pot holder (never made one before.) After I got it quilted and the binding put on, I realized I only put one layer of w&n inside it. Really ticked me off as I was really pleased how it turned out. I guess it will make a nice candle mat, or something to put under a warm plate in my lap.
    w&n?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    w&n?

Warm and Natural!

Blog Entries
    I 'reupholster' my potholders with scraps until they're too thick to use. I save the binding that's left over from projects to bind them. The only qualifier - the scraps HAVE to go with my kitchen colors. Almost as bad as saving scraps for crumb quilts - LOL.

Should I assume if my potholder has rounded corners, the binding strip has to be cut on the bias? Still learning...

I have bought COTTON mattress pads at the thrift shop and after washing them, cut them up as padding for potholders. They are soft but thick and sturdy and longlasting. Be sure not to buy the poly kind that would melt at high heats.

Blog Entries
    that is a good idea for the cotton mattress pads for batting for potholders

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I have bought COTTON mattress pads at the thrift shop and after washing them, cut them up as padding for potholders. They are soft but thick and sturdy and longlasting. Be sure not to buy the poly kind that would melt at high heats.

I'm heading to value Village today, for their half price sale. I am hoping to pick up an ironing board cover and cotton mattress pad, among other things.

Insulbrite is a great insulator but not much of a preventer. Makes good tea cozies and lunch bags; Thermaflec and cotton batting much better in potholders. Even layers of old terry towels work -- if you don't like the stiffness of the Thermaflec.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by QUILTKNIT1
    Insulbrite is a great insulator but not much of a preventer. Makes good tea cozies and lunch bags; Thermaflec and cotton batting much better in potholders. Even layers of old terry towels work -- if you don't like the stiffness of the Thermaflec.
    Oh, so you'rev saying that thicker padding is better for burn prevention than Insulbrite? I didn't know that. And all along I've been making potholders with it thinking it would keep folks from burning their hands. Boy, do I feel dumb. Thanks for the heads up! From now on it'll be mattress padding for mine.
    :wink:

An easy way to check the heat transfer in a potholder is to hold it up to a hot iron. If you can feel the heat of the iron through the potholder, it is not heat proof! Also remember that artificial fibers are more dangerous if the potholder catches on fire, as they will melt against your skin.

where were you and wildyard a couple of weeks ago, when :shock: I :shock: needed you?!?!?!?!

That's a great idea!

My pot-holder book says to use 3 layers of cotton batting. I've made several like this.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dotty, a sweet lady sent me insulbright, I will be trying this when I get a few extra hours. God bless.

I'm waiting for my Insulbrite from Joann's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4