Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matters of Opinion >

Matters of Opinion

Matters of Opinion

Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 PM

I don't think a panel is funky at all. My newest GS got one upon his arrival (during Christmas) and I think I put just as much work into it as I would have a "real" quilt. Besides, as others have said, it was for your GS not his mom and since you picked his best bud (Tomater), I'm sure he will LOVE it! If he is anything like my GSs, just 'cause Gramma made it is special enough!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM

I love using panels. You can take 10 people with the same panel and they will all turn it into completely different looking quilts. If you sandwich it and quilt it - it's a quilt. Does your DD sew or quilt?

I'm the type of parent that would have said to my DD "Hey, It's not very nice to criticize a gift someone has makes for you or your family". I've told my kids (25 & 16) Don't expect me to stop correcting you because you're an adult. You're never too old to be (privately)corrected. When you say rude, hurtful or mean things, I'm gonna let you know. That is not acceptable. It's ungrateful and hurtful and I'd straighten her out right now. If you do - it won't happen again (at least it will begin to change). If this is a DIL - I would say you're one of mine now and the same goes for you!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 PM

I don't know how old the recipient is but you put more time and more love into making him a quilt that you knew he would love than anyone who simply buys a gift at a store. If he is too young now to appreciate the work and love that went into the quilt he will one day as he passes it on to his own son and tells the story of the wonderful woman that made it for him.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:34 AM

The definition of a quilt is usually a top, batting, and backing layer sewn or tied together to make a warm cover. There are exceptions where there is no batting for a summer quilt. She needs to cool it! We don't need any more quilt police. You are the artist, do what you want and wait for the accolades from the recipient, not his rude mom.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM
mim

I recently finished a baby quilt -- and Charisma quilted it for me. It will go to a step GGS of my husband in the spring. We showed it to our dear neighbors yesterday and te response was "Oh nice" He was so surprised and hurt that they didn't gush over it.

I told him of the reactions other people get. I also told him not to be surprised if the response from his daughter and family is not enthusiastic. They are not artistic or considerate people. I understand that -- but he doesn't.

It is your DILs loss not yours or your grandsons. He will love it!!

Mim
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Some times I wonder why people speak before they think. It doesn't matter what the mother thinks. What counts is that your GS loves the quilt and I'm sure he will.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM

I have made many panel quilts for my grandchildren. I make regular ones too, but they love the panels. Superman, Spiderman, Star Wars, Dragons..... they are TV quilts, bed quilts, sitting on the floor quilts, tents, hiding places, anything you can imagine. The older ones have been using them for a dozen years. Only problem with their parents is when they get them all out at once and make a big mess! Great practice for outline quilting on the machine. We do what we love and what we know our grandchildren will love. Bravo for you!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM

If it's quilted, it's a "real" quilt. Some people just don't think before they speak, so don't let her words hurt you. You know how much love you've put into this quilt, so let that be your point of judgment. I'm sure your grandson will love it, because it will be his, and no one else will have one like it. I'll bet it will mean a lot more to him than some pieced block that doesn't relate to anything he knows. So... there! :)

"Real" quilt, indeed!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Hi Cherrio, I use panels, I think they are cuter.
Is this "MOM your daugther-in law?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

M I Late
I will have this talk with my daughter. Lil man just turned 3 and I don't see them but every other month. over 3 hrs from me. thanks for all the kind words from you and all the kind folks here
cherri