Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moths!  Ack! >

Moths! Ack!

Moths! Ack!

Old 04-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Do moths go after cotton fabric too? I wouldn't even know how to check for moths and damage.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 PM

I buy wool blankets from thrift stores, usually hold them up to the light to asess moth damage. A long time ago, I corresponded with someone who told me about the insect repelling attributes of madrona leaves, and sold me an envelope of the leaves, which I pinned to the front screen door to discourage flies. Since then, I have kept bay leaves in the blanket chest and anywhere else I have wool. I even sent a bag of bay leaves to an aunt in Mississippi to put in the box with her fur stole. Bay leaves in the spices also repel moths and their larva during hot, muggy summers. I wash my wool blankets before storing them. My favorite soap for wool is "Dr. Bronners Eucalyptus Oil liquid soap", using about a tsp of the soap per washer load.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
We recently had a problem with moths...didn't actually see the moths but saw the damage to my DH expensive wool suit. My bad..I didn't know it was wool, so I hung it up with the rest of his suits. We went to a conference and he took that suit that he had worn only once and after we got home I noticed a few holes on a sleeve and some on the pants.
Well, that's that for that suit.
That's pretty frustrating, isn't it! You never even see the moths, but somehow they get in and eat and run.

I've got my wool batting in the freezer right now... just in case any eggs or anything I can't see is in there waiting to hatch.

My favorite yarns to knit and crochet with have always been wool ones, and I've battled this problem with those for years. Never thought I'd have to deal with it in my batting, but I guess wool is wool....
Old 04-15-2017, 05:11 PM

I have a roll of wool batting, too--will be sure to check for moth holes and freeze if there are any! Can't put the whole bat roll in the freezer!
Old 04-15-2017, 05:59 PM

I store wool with open bars of Irish Spring soap to repel the critters instead of mothballs.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:30 PM

I have raw sheeps wool, which I had cleaned and carded professionally, and have not had any issues with any creepy critters.

You may want to contact these folks, they have been in the business for a number of years, and you need to ask them questions. I felt all my quilts- by utilizing my steam machine, after I have longarmed the quilt and used my sheeps wool.

https://permies.com/t/45846/Sheep-Wool-Insulation-talk
Old 04-16-2017, 01:41 PM

All those quilts that are wool based do they have the same moth problems? I have wanted to try a wool quilt project but hesitant.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
All those quilts that are wool based do they have the same moth problems? I have wanted to try a wool quilt project but hesitant.
Probably not. We just have a really bad problem with moths because of our warm climate.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patsan View Post
Do moths go after cotton fabric too? I wouldn't even know how to check for moths and damage.
No, they like animal fiber.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I buy wool blankets from thrift stores, usually hold them up to the light to asess moth damage. A long time ago, I corresponded with someone who told me about the insect repelling attributes of madrona leaves, and sold me an envelope of the leaves, which I pinned to the front screen door to discourage flies. Since then, I have kept bay leaves in the blanket chest and anywhere else I have wool. I even sent a bag of bay leaves to an aunt in Mississippi to put in the box with her fur stole. Bay leaves in the spices also repel moths and their larva during hot, muggy summers. I wash my wool blankets before storing them. My favorite soap for wool is "Dr. Bronners Eucalyptus Oil liquid soap", using about a tsp of the soap per washer load.
This is some great info... thanks!