Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Motivation >

Motivation

Motivation

Old 05-09-2014, 01:50 PM

So much has already been said, but I am struck by what the OP said about the list being so long. It is easy to get overwhelmed when there is a lot to do, so don't look at it that way. Pick up the project nearest your hands and just spend 15 minutes doing whatever needs to be done next. When you have done that, then decide either to pick up the next project or continue on for another 15 minutes. Washing fabric while doing something on a project will make you feel like you have accomplished something too. I find if I just get over the hump of actually starting, then it is easier to keep going and even get pumped about doing it.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Perhaps for a step of progress, finish washing the fabrics you have for your above list of projects. Maybe get your placemats stuff (pattern, fabrics, rulers?, etc) so ready to go. "Reward" yourself and knit for 30 minutes. What works for you? Small sections of time dedicated to xxx project? Or work on a different project a day/week.
Once you get going, you may find more motivation.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 PM

I agree with all the others. For me just starting is the key. tell yourself you will work on a project for 20 minutes. Often before you know it an hour or two is gone. I would try to keep at it a little each day.It's best to schedule a time when you are not rushed or tired, even if you have to get up a few minutes earlier in the morning. I think establishing a habit is the key. Maybe start with one of the smaller items so you can finish it quickly and feel a sense of accomplishment. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 PM

I know how you feel and if your like I am I get all these ideas for projects and then I'm overwhelmed so I look it all over and decide which one I need first and sometimes I like to do the easiest it makes me feel better when I at least get one thing done. Try to relax and not stress look for something you feel like doing that's maybe fun and you can get yourself going again. Good luck. Sue
Old 05-10-2014, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I go for the project that is closest to completion. It makes me feel better once I finish that one and then I move on to the next one.
completely agree... I finished a queen "Gimme Diamonds" last weekend so I could move on to a few baby projects with a clear conscience.

Last edited by jmoore; 05-10-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 AM

Do something else until you get motivated again. I quilt, crochet, knit, and read a lot so I'm always motivated to do something. Sometimes I even cook!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:11 AM

I appreciated reading everyone's motivation steps, I sure could use some. I want to quilt but after working all day and doing house chores I find that I am no longer in the mood to do more than watch TV. Weekends are usually have to run here days and not much me time. Once I start I do finish and am so happy. I need to just take an hour or two and just sew!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:11 AM

I'm the same way as someone mentioned above. When I really don't have the time, I want to do it. When I have loads of time, I have not so much! It's near the end of our school year so I definitely don't have time.
I knit too. And I have the same problem with knitting projects.
Just thought of something. How about getting a pretty journal and putting a picture of the finished project and some notes about each one. Your goal could be to fill up as much of the book as you can in a year! Of course, you could pick a skinnier journal if you wanted to. Wouldn't it be neat to look back on all of those accomplishments! Homegoods has some nice journals from time to time.
I think I'll try this, myself! Thanks for helping me think of it!
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 AM

when you get an answer to providing motivation, I want to know!! From time to time I just don't have the desire to start or work on quilting projects -- right now my motivations are deadlines, projects from my bee and gifts for relatives and such, all a matter of getting them done -- I admire those who are always working on projects and seem to get them done so quickly-- I am a plodder but do like to have completed projects, but....
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 AM

knitwitrosie - I would work on the first project that has the earliest deadline! It won't be fun when you're too close to that deadline and you don't have time (because you spent working on other projects before it). Those other projects could be your rewards for finishing the deadline one(s). Having a longarm quilting business, I deal with deadlines all the time and that keeps me on schedule with customers' quilts!

When I'm not motivated to sew/quilt on my own projects this is what I do....(WARNING! - what I'm about to share may shock some people here!)

When I'm unmotivated, I tidy up my quilting area! Yes I do! I put things back where they go (fabrics, pins, rulers, etc) and bag up unwanted things that need to leave the house (scraps, old magazines, trash,). I vacuum (it always needs it with threads and such) and dust. I love to be organized and hate looking for things.

If I'm not energized and ready to sew/quilt when I'm finished with that, I may even iron some prewashed fabric!

Within a couple of hours of doing these tasks, I'm tired of doing them and stop. BUT my sewing/quilting areas are now 'very pleasing to the eye'! Everything is in it's place and easy to find, the floor is clean and I even have some new washed and ironed fabric ready to be cut if I decide to use it. (Did you ever not use a fabric for the simple reason that it had to be washed and/or ironed?)

Motivation returns and I'm in my happy place once again! I'm able to get so much more done. In my opinion, quilters should never make one list of all the projects they have to do...it's too intimidating! They won't know where to start!

Good Luck!

Nan - Indiana