Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Motivation >

Motivation

Motivation

Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Default Motivation

I am in desperate need of some! I've got a list of projects "to-do," but seem to be lacking the motivation to start them. Here's my list:

• Placemats for my kitchen (fabric bought & pre-washed)
  • "Dr. Seuss" Disappearing 9-patch baby quilt (fabric bought & pre-washed)
  • "Cuddle" blanket for my Niece (fabric bought)
  • (5) Self-Binding Receiving Blankets for gift stash (fabric bought & partially pre-washed)
  • "Jolly Jelly Roll" Quilt for my BFF for Christmas (fabric bought)
  • "Summer In The Park" Quilt for my living room (fabric bought)

I'm also trying real hard to finish a knitted baby blanket for a baby shower I have to go to in June.

I have a relatively quiet weekend coming up and I'm trying to get the motivation to get into my "craft cave" and start working on projects.

I got my "craft cave" somewhat cleaned up last weekend, but found myself just staring at the tubs of fabric, just waiting to get touched. Just didn't have any motivation to start anything. Now the list is long, and the urge to keep planning (and shopping for) future projects is becoming overwhelming again. I made myself a promise though.... no more buying until I finish something. You'd think that would be motivation enough, but not so much.

How do you get motivated to get started on a project?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

When I look at all the fabrics I have that is all the motivation I need.
I hope you get working on your projects soon.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 AM

I procrastinate some....but, I know once I actually sit down and get started I will be there for hours!

I also have a 3 hour talk radio program I love to listen to.

I watched the entire 5 seasons of Sons of Anarchy on netflix...or rather mostly listened.

How about a really long movie you have seen that you could listen to....comedy perhaps!

Good Luck.... Just Do It!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM

I usually have to be in the mood, but when I am, watch out because that's all I want to do! Dinner? Um, no, didn't have time to plan anything--sorry--but there are leftovers in the fridge.

You can't force yourself to be motivated; it's something that just happens from within.

One thing I'm trying this year is to break a quilt I want to make into baby steps. I committed to making 10 snowball blocks per week. So far, so good! Once all the blocks are done, I've committed to sewing one row together per week. That way, I don't get bored with it or burned out, and by year's end I'll have a finished quilt. When you partition the various steps of quilt making into smaller components like that, it may help you to feel more motivated. Instead of walking into your quilt cave and thinking, "I need to make this quilt or those placemats," you say, "Today, I'm going to cut the squares for that baby quilt and if there's time, I'll piece the binding for the placemats." It's less overwhelming to think of just one of the steps than worrying about the entire thing.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I try to work on the project that has the closest deadline. I agree, it is good to set small goals and if you want to do more then keep going. I love every process involved in quilt making. I always keep a quilt in the hoop to hand quilt when I don't want to be at my machine. (for you the knitted baby blanket). As the saying goes....just do it! The motivation will catch up.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM

You can start with the project that will be completed fastest. This will give you the sense of accomplishment and may be just what you need to get going on the rest.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 AM

I work on projects that interest me the most at the time. Right now it is a spider web Halloween quilt. Next week it may be a jelly roll quilt or tote bags.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM

I agree with the baby steps, but for me I sometimes have to break it down to micro steps to get started again. I might just pick starching and ironing one piece of fabric to prepare it for cutting; or cleaning, threading and making sure I have the right needle and foot on my machine for the next project I've decided to do "when I'm ready". Other times giving myself a small window of time works better. I might decide to just spend 15 minutes "doing something" in my sewing room or other times I'll give myself a time limit and an activity. Sometimes I keep going past the amount of time I set myself or move on to a second small step and sometimes I don't. Either way if I do the one task or do something for the amount of time I set myself I feel successful. No one thing works for me every time, and sometimes nothing works. At those times relaxing and looking at a quilt magazine, coming to the board or watching a quilt video is what I do-and that's ok too! For things that have a definite completion date one thing I do know--that old saying "Well I work better under pressure" isn't true. Yes, I get going, because I know l'm out of time, but having to hurry leads either to mistakes or not my best work or both. There's many great suggestions given in all these responses, I'm sure you'll find some that will help you get started again. Happy creating!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 PM

I keep motivated by setting up a schedule for myself. Today we had Doll Club (for American Girl Dolls) for the next week I will make some outfits so I'm ready for next month. I'm also doing a quilt where I get instructions for 2 or 3 blocks with each magazine. As soon as I get the magazine I start on the blocks so I don't get behind. Once those 2 projects are done then I work on the Halloween Baltimore Album quilt for a week. Next I work on the Dear Jane quilt for a week. I always keep my projects in ArtBin boxes so I know where the pieces are, where the pattern is and also have the specialty rulers there. When I'm ready to pick up a project I don't have to search for anything!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I go for the project that is closest to completion. It makes me feel better once I finish that one and then I move on to the next one.