Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Motivation >
  • Motivation

• Motivation

Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 AM

When this happens I will give my self a stern talking to-usually in my Gramma's voice-this usually works. And when it doesn't work I will cut out the next quilt on my list. Once I've done this I can't wait to get busy putting it together and before I know it I am down to the sandwich part and I can finish the quilting and binding in 2 or 3 evenings while catching a favorite show on TV. And then it's on to the next one on my list.
    Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 AM

I had a ton of unfinished and un-started projects and no motivations. My BFF advised me to write the name of each on a piece of paper, put them in a container and then draw one out. That is the one to work on - no excuses! She also advised me to set a goal of sewing at least 20 minutes a day - again no excuses.

What happened, of course, is that once I got back into sewing, I was soon sewing much longer times. And it is so nice to finally start making a dent in the projects.
    Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM
    Power Poster

A majority of the time my motivation is a deadline, like finishing 2 dresses for our DGD's birthday on Sunday. I've had several days these past few weeks where I sit in my sewing area and do nothing, but eventually I can start on a project. I have no definitive answer to your question, as my motivation can come in many forms, but deadlines get me moving more quickly (especially after I have procrastinated - LOL).
    Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM

I find when I look at the whole elephant I'm overwhelmed...I'll never be able to eat this meal
    Then I think "I can eat anything one spoonful at a time"

When I'm overwhelmed or listless my kitchen timer is my best friend.
    One bite=15 minutes.

Stay out of the stores
    Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 AM

I find having a deadline gets me moving...I also like to make two quilts at a time so when one is completely done I have another one to finish.
    Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 PM

When I started really quilting - I would not let myself start another project until I completed the one I am working on. I've been pretty good about doing this unless I run into some kind of a snag with what I'm working on and just have to leave it alone for a while. If I got too many projects going at one time - I'm like a kid with too many toys - don't know what to play with and get flustered. Anyway - that is what works for me but we are all different and unique. Sometimes it helps to treat yourself when you finish a project that's been hard to finish - maybe a pedicure or a movie or if all else fails, you can always treat yourself to the local quilt shop!!!?
    Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 PM

Do you have a pal who quilts or does another craft? Can she come over and work beside you? Sometimes just having another person there is a gentle push to begin.
    Old 05-10-2014, 03:20 PM

I like to put on some music that I love or a movie that I have watched a million times...
    Then just pick up one of the projects and dig in....you will be into it in no time.
    Old 05-10-2014, 03:25 PM
    Power Poster

When I'm not in the mood to use the machine, I'll grab my scrap hoop and work on a crazy quilt, I'm hand quilting. Piecing it by hand and quilting by hand. I found an old dry iron a few months back at a garage sale and it still works. I press the seams with it. I have some embroidery, I may work with then before I know it, I'm motivated.
    Old 05-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Default Motivation

If I were you I would start on the summer in the park quilt. It is such a fun quilt to make that the pattern should come with a guarantee to get you motivated! It sure worked for me. I was only going to make a couple of blocks to "try it out" and ended up making either three or four baby quilts with it. You will love it.