Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bernina 830 is a pain!

If you can't get your dealer to fix it find another dealer who will. I was having problems with mine..not thread related and took it to another dealer. Part of the problem was that the person fixing it wasn't doing it right. Bernina stands behind their products and it sounds like you have a problem with the machine. I have had my Bernina 830 for 3 years and its a wonderful machine. I hope you can get it to work right..if you can't get help from the dealers call the main Company. That's what I would do. =) Keep us posted.. =)
    Last edited by RkayD; 02-24-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    It might be the sensors in the upper and lower bobbin. When I take it in, I'll see if they can replace them. I think I need to be a little louder than I've been. Also, I'm not quite sure about how you oil the bobbin. I read the instructions, but am not quite sure where exactly in the bobbin case it goes. Any help?
    O.K. your dealer should not have even let you leave the store with the machine without at least some training to show you where to oil it! I had a mastery program with about 15-20 hours of free training that came with my 830. Any dealer that has sold you an 830 without these classes and info. is suspect IMO. Didn't you get classes with your machine?

I had a Bernina and found it hard to use so I traded it in for a viking, of which I have never regretted!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I would contact Bernina directly.....With their reputation they will make sure you are happy (I hope so!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nancylee View Post
    Hi,
    For what a Bernina costs, I agree, there should be no kinks to work out! I just sent back a Macbook Pro computer, I had it 10 days, they are made in China now, and I could tell. I had problems three times in 10 days!! Back it went!! I had problems with a Janome I bought, the case where the bobbin goes kept jumping out, the whole thing got bent! What a mess! I just got my money back for the computer, Macs are top dollar, there should be NO problems, and I exchanged the new Janome for another one which works.

I would call Bernina and tell them what has been happening, and see if they will give you a new machine. It is not good for them to have people out there who hate their machines.
    Good luck,
    Nancy

That is why I stick with Viking. I had a Bernina as a secondary machine and it was nothing but problems! For what you paid for the 830 is should work flawlessly!

Wow, not only a problem with the machine, but a less than wonderful dealer to boot. I'd be pretty frustrated too!

There's a Yahoo group for Bernina owners that includes several models, one of which is the 830. If you go to Yahoo groups and search for Bernina 830, it should come up. There are some very helpful members and great suggestions there. Recently somebody with an 830 was having issues similar to yours. Another member explained how to clean out the insides of the bobbin area using a trident tool that Bernina supplied. It was amazing to see how much broken thread had worked its way in there!

I'd suggest joining the group and seeing if they can help you. And I'd be contacting Bernina about both the machine and the dealer. And I'll continue to be thankful for our wonderful dealer (Leroy @ Penn Yan Sewing).

I too have an 830 and has been back to the dealer numerous times in the past year (I've had it for a year!). One of the issues is the thread 'alarm' and I've been told if a little fiber of thread gets caught (which is unseen to my eye) that's what happens. They told me to turn the alarm off and sew until it's convenient for me to drop off my machine! Last week a 'piece' of something flew out at me and I had to take it back (I think it was part of a spring) and I asked the dealer if I was sewing too much (because basically I truly enjoy sewing with it) and he said 'no'. When I returned to get it after it had been serviced, he offered to trade me to the LE830 for $1995...I'm sitting on the fence as I just got it last year!!! However I have wondered I bought it and it had been used 6 months prior to my buying it! I feel fortunate to have the Bernina dealer that I do as he always tries to accommodate my schedule with servicing (as I live an hour away) and now he's given me this offer...still thinking but he told me to sew to my heart's content and see if it works ok for longer than a month!!! That's my experience so I'd say I'm 75% satisfied with my machine!

for that kind of money we should be 95% or more satisfied.I have a Viking Diamond and a SE -I am 100% satisfied with both.I Diamond has a bigger throat,etc-love it.I could not part with my SE either-love it too.I have drooled at the 830's but can not afford another and will not part with what I have to get one.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

What a sad thread to read! Berninas should never be problem machines; they are only able to charge the prices they do because of their reputation, and if they lose that, they will be nothing. You should definitely call Bernina directly (please by-pass your less than satisfactory dealer) and report the problems you are having, both with the machine and the dealer. Bernina dealerships are closely watched, and I am sure your dealer will get a call from Bernina regarding your machine. You have invested a small fortune in your machine, and you need to have someone pay attention to your problems. Please let us know how all of this turns out!

Regarding the Bernia 830. When I retired I thought I wanted and needed a Janome and

It turned out just like the Bernia. I have had lots of trouble with this Janome. I allowed a 1960 Sears Commander to get out of my possition and regret it very much. It was a simple machine. did all I wanted , Especailly the sewing one does to make a quilt. Oh well, live and learn.
    I bought a Bernina 830 a year ago. I was so excited. I knew it would be wonderful to sew with. Wrong! The thread breaks all the time. I've used every thread possible. I've used every needle possible. I even bought a vacuum for sewing machines and clean it frequently. One of the feet that came with it won't work. The dealer let me try one of their's and it wouldn't work on my machine, so they gave me a similar one and a couple of months later asked for it back. I said "no" and reminded them that the one that came with the machine wouldn't work on mine. It's the open toed foot. Good for appliqueing. The metal one wouldn't work but the plastic foot does. And my machine always tells me the thread is broken when it's not. I'm just really disappointed. This machine is suppose to be the cream of the crop. That's why I bought it. My old Viking works better than this one. Anyone else with a Bernina 830 having any of these problems?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG View Post
    Bernina's are fabulous machines, it sounds like you just got a lemon. It happens. But I too would be returning it. I personally wouldn't allow them to fix it, I would want a brand spanking new one and fight like the dickens to get one if they bulked at doing that. Good luck!
    one of the ladies I sew with had this problem with the 830 she purchased a year ago.....after many service issues the sewing machine dealer replaced her machine (it never worked properly) the replacement machine is a joy and sews as a BERNINA should.

Bernina 830 being a pain

They are picky machines. I've had mine about 1 1/2 years. Its biggest problem is the automatic threader stops working. Have you tried contacting Bernina directly, via email or through their website. And, it wouldn't hurt to find another dealer either if yours isn't taking care of the problems. If you can find one, I reccommend taking the Mastery class for the 830. There's so much to this machine & the class covers most of it. I use Bottom Line thread for the bobbin & either Gutterman, King Tut, or serger thread in the top. My dealer also suggested using canned air to blow from the back of the bobbin case towards the front to blow out lint in hard to see places. I also oil it about every 2 bobbins or when it begins to rattle while sewing. Best of luck.

Cathy S/Willowwind
    Cathy S/Willowwind

I have a Bernina 830 and love it, I was told that if I used polyester thread on my Bernina there would be less issues with the thread breaking. I just use polyester thread and have had no problems. Rayon thread seems to be one of the worst for this problem, and some threads have little bits of lint that come off no matter what you do. You should be oiling your bobbin area, each time you change your bobbin, just a drop of oil inside the area where the bobbin fits will keep it lubricated, and be sure to use your bobbin tool to clean it regularly. Please keep going back to your dealer and letting them know how frustrated you are in attempting to deal with the issues you are experiencing - and make sure you keep track of the dates, times of your calls or visits to the dealer along with the problem. Do not give up on your machine. I hope you can get past these issues.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

It does sound like you have a lemon. Contact the manufactor about the machine and also about who you bought it from. I know they do not like their name bashed abound. Good Luck

Go directly to Bernina with your complaints with the machine and the dealer you purchased your machine from. Bernina is a wonderful company (no I don't have stock, but do have experience with Bernina machines and Bernina dealers). You should have the contact info. with your manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
    I would take my machine to another dealer for a tune up. There is no reason you should be having these problems.
    I have had Berninas for many years and have never had any problems with any of mine.
    But I do take them in every few years for a good cleaning and a tune up. And I clean my machines with q-tips after every quilt. have you taken the throat plate off ato see if there is any thread caught anywhere?
    Have you checked to see if you are threading the machine correctly?
    It's a new machine. Go back to the dealer-if no help then call Bernina. I don't have a Bernina but a high end machine that I love and a dealer who backs his products and very helpful staff.

Contact the company... I'm sure they do not want unhappy customers....I would also give them details, name of dealer, problems,ect.... Good Luck,, now I'm glad that I can't afford that machine,, although I did look at it.....

I bought a Bernina 830 a year ago. I was so excited. I knew it would be wonderful to sew with. Wrong! The thread breaks all the time. I've used every thread possible. I've used every needle possible. I even bought a vacuum for sewing machines and clean it frequently. One of the feet that came with it won't work. The dealer let me try one of their's and it wouldn't work on my machine, so they gave me a similar one and a couple of months later asked for it back. I said "no" and reminded them that the one that came with the machine wouldn't work on mine. It's the open toed foot. Good for appliqueing. The metal one wouldn't work but the plastic foot does. And my machine always tells me the thread is broken when it's not. I'm just really disappointed. This machine is suppose to be the cream of the crop. That's why I bought it. My old Viking works better than this one. Anyone else with a Bernina 830 having any of these problems?
    I have the Bernina 820 which is exactly the same machine as yours but minus the embroidery module. I have had it for a year and a half & have never had a problem with it. Hasn't even been in for servicing yet. The bobbin is a little finicky and it will act up when the slightest bit of thread gets caught up in it but if I keep it clean & make sure it is threaded properly it's fine. I don't know about the U.S. prices but my 820 cost $7500.00 Canadian & that was with a $1500. discount. The 830 here in Canada ranges in price from $13,000 - 14,000. I would think your dealer is not living up to her part of being a retailer, which is being a responsible retailer!! My dealer even came to my house for 2 days to make sure I felt comfortable with it & she lives 3 1/2 hours away. That's being a responsible dealer (even above & beyond). I love mine & when I sew on my other machine, Juki 98Q, which I also love & then go back to my Bernina, boy you sure notice the difference. Best of luck with your machine.
    Dance like no one is watching

I recently purchased (well, Sept) a Baby Lock Ellure and am not happy with it.....the "automatic needle threader" is a nuisance, not to mention the thread cutter. I does cut the thread, but then when you start to sew the next thing, the thread is so short, it unthreads itself and bingo, back to "threading" The thread path is difficult around the needle...I am not a person with "small hands" - I can barely get my hand in the throat to wrap the thread around the pathway that is near the needle.........also it has three 1/4 seam stitches.....why????? The 1/4" feet has that annoying side thing on it that gets in the way when doing say a flying geese or something that has that little bunny ear at the edge. Don't tell me to go to the dealer I purchased it from....not a pleasant person, I find out after sale......next nearest one is 25 miles away...tried to contact company thru email..can't seem to find addy....so guess what, I use my old reliable Viking more than this little white elephant!!!!!!!!Money wasted..........a weak moment on my part, but never again......

I need to clarify how to oil your bobbin area on your 830 - you know where the two white dots line up on top of the bobbin area, just using your oiling tube that you got with your machine, place just a drop just behind those two dots - each time you change out your bobbin (when you have used up your thread on the bobbin) - I was told this was the most important thing to keep your machine working in good order.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Blog Entries
    It's up to you to demand the service you paid for. It's odd a Bernina dealer would treat you this way about the sale of machine that paid his rent for several months. Report your experince and problems to Bernina headquarters.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have an older Bernina and it is great, could not afford to purchase the 830 maybe it just has to many bell and whistles and to finicky
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
    I need to clarify how to oil your bobbin area on your 830 - you know where the two white dots line up on top of the bobbin area, just using your oiling tube that you got with your machine, place just a drop just behind those two dots - each time you change out your bobbin (when you have used up your thread on the bobbin) - I was told this was the most important thing to keep your machine working in good order.
    She should be shown how to oil her machine, not have to hear it second or third hand on a quilting forum. And actually oiling behind the dots is not clear enough and not really in the right spot! The copper colored, strip of metal behind the dot, is the part that receives the oil drop. Any dealer, that doesn't have the time to show someone who's just bought a $10,000 machine how to oil it, is not a dealer I'd buy from.

My Bernina 830 is a pain.

I have a Bernina 820 and I love it. It is the sweetest machine and has so many cool features. I think you need yours serviced and by an authorized Bernina repair person. If the shop where you bought yours isn't willing to help you maybe you should contact Bernina and ask for a recommendation. I am sure they want you to be satisfied with your purchase. They take pride in their product and don't want you to be unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problems, I do not have new one.. but do have the old 830 in the "RED" Case and a Virtuosa 153 both of which I have not had a moments trouble with either. Sure hope someone on board has suggestions to help you.

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Judy - I have the same Bernia 830 that you have and it works fine and I love it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast