Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bernina 830 is a pain!

I have the 830 and love, love , love it. Sorry you are having problems.
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

I do not have a Bernina, but this problem sounds like there is something wrong with your particular machine. I would take the machine back to the dealer where you bought it and have them service the machine, which sould be at their cost. If they will not stand behind their product I would contact Bernina directly as someone has already suggested, you should still be under your warranty. I feel bad that you are not having a happy experience with your purchase.

Blog Entries
    I have found its funny about threads and some work and some don't! I have found Aurifil works the best for piecing and most other sewing, not much lint either. Lots of problems goes to user error. I have had mine about 2 yrs now and finely got it to run great! I use Isacord for embroidery too. Just don't sew too fast and all thread breaks now and then. Check you tension too might be too tight!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I bought a Bernina 830 a year ago. I was so excited. I knew it would be wonderful to sew with. Wrong! The thread breaks all the time. I've used every thread possible. I've used every needle possible. I even bought a vacuum for sewing machines and clean it frequently. One of the feet that came with it won't work. The dealer let me try one of their's and it wouldn't work on my machine, so they gave me a similar one and a couple of months later asked for it back. I said "no" and reminded them that the one that came with the machine wouldn't work on mine. It's the open toed foot. Good for appliqueing. The metal one wouldn't work but the plastic foot does. And my machine always tells me the thread is broken when it's not. I'm just really disappointed. This machine is suppose to be the cream of the crop. That's why I bought it. My old Viking works better than this one. Anyone else with a Bernina 830 having any of these problems?
    I had heard that many of the first 830's were problems. I had one of the first Pfaff Creative Visions and it was a mess. I complained until they fixed it, when that didn't work, they replaced it. I would write Bernina and tell them you want it fixed so you can use it. That machine is much too expensive to just write it off. Open your mouth and don't shut it until they do something about it. JMHO Your dealer needs to go to bat for you!
    Judi in Ohio

Blog Entries
    That machine should have been exchanged - sounds like it's a lemon and Bernina probably wouldn't be very happy with your experience with the dealer that you bought it from. Maybe you should contact Bernina directly.

Any time you buy something that is manufactured, no matter what it is or who made it, you run the risk of buying a lemon. Sounds like you have a lemon, and the only Bernina Dealer in the country that does not pride its self on customer service. I just bought the 830's little sister, the 820, and I love it. There must be something wrong with your thread sensor. Customer care is their trademark. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I have a friend with an 830 and she has had similar probloblems but the dealer has been very responsive. For what this cost, you should contact bernina. I hate you are having such a bad experience.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by nancylee View Post
    Just wanted to add, I looked up the price of an 830!!! Wow!! You definitely need to call Bernina!! For that price, that machine should get up and make you breakfast, beside sew flawlessly!!!
    Nancy
    First of all, I really sympathize with the original poster. I seem to have too much trouble with thread breaking and skipping stitches on my Janome, which is a much less expensive machine (but still very expensive to me).

Having said that, I am often curious about the price of sewing machines (and long arm machines) mentioned on QB but have been mostly unsuccessful at finding their prices. Is there a good site for looking them up?
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

I am so sorry you are having this experience....espeically since the 830 costs nearly as much as a car! I feel your pain, because I purchased the Pfaff Creative Vision when it came out...oh, I was excited beyond belief and the let down was so disappointing. I could not even chain piece on it without it eating the fabric between pieces. I got rid of that machine, took a HUGE loss that it pains me even now to think about. I purchased a Janome and a separate 6-needle embroidery machine and still did not spend as much as I did on that expensive Pfaff. It just goes to show you, just because you spend mega bucks, does not mean you get a great machine, and that is so unfair. It seems that the machines that have great reputations for many years like Bernina and Pfaff have gone the way of other brands, like Singer, and become junk. Just my opinion. I am happy with what I have now but it cost me to get there. I hope you can work something out to your satisfaction as well.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    I have the Bernina 820 which is exactly the same machine as yours but minus the embroidery module. I have had it for a year and a half & have never had a problem with it. Hasn't even been in for servicing yet. The bobbin is a little finicky and it will act up when the slightest bit of thread gets caught up in it but if I keep it clean & make sure it is threaded properly it's fine. I don't know about the U.S. prices but my 820 cost $7500.00 Canadian & that was with a $1500. discount. The 830 here in Canada ranges in price from $13,000 - 14,000. I would think your dealer is not living up to her part of being a retailer, which is being a responsible retailer!! My dealer even came to my house for 2 days to make sure I felt comfortable with it & she lives 3 1/2 hours away. That's being a responsible dealer (even above & beyond). I love mine & when I sew on my other machine, Juki 98Q, which I also love & then go back to my Bernina, boy you sure notice the difference. Best of luck with your machine.
    Just a follow up with your machine. Were you told to NEVER sew without fabric under the foot? This is very important as the thread will get caught up in the bobbin compartment & give you lots of headaches. When you start to sew a seam, start your sewing a little in from the back edge of the material so you always have fabric under the foot. I love the fact that the bobbin holds almost triple the thread of a regular machine but it can be very finicky.
    It is a wonderful machine but sometimes a little finicky when it comes to threading it & thread getting caught up in the bobbin area of the machine. Make sure it is always free of loose thread. Hopefully this will help.
    Dance like no one is watching

I have had numerous problems with my 830. Have had it less than 2 years. I am so frustrated. Since January of this year I have had it in for repairs 5 times. I have an email off to Bernina now. My dealer is wonderful, I have no issues with them. I would really like Bernina to give me another machine or replace the circuit board,/computer in this one. My patience is running out. This is a very expensive machine, and should not have all these problems. Everytime I turn it on and try to embroider or sew, there is another error message. Some sensors I can turn off so I can finish my project, but should not have to do that.So, jcrow, I feel your frustration. Keep me posted on what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by janekonowitz View Post
    I have had numerous problems with my 830. Have had it less than 2 years. I am so frustrated. Since January of this year I have had it in for repairs 5 times. I have an email off to Bernina now. My dealer is wonderful, I have no issues with them. I would really like Bernina to give me another machine or replace the circuit board,/computer in this one. My patience is running out. This is a very expensive machine, and should not have all these problems. Everytime I turn it on and try to embroider or sew, there is another error message. Some sensors I can turn off so I can finish my project, but should not have to do that.So, jcrow, I feel your frustration. Keep me posted on what happens.
    Jane, have you had your sensors replaced like I did? A good percentage of 830's have had to have them replaced. I've got over 5 million stitches on mine, so I've used it quite a bit and I'm glad it was all under warranty. But, come April I will be really bummed if the new sensors don't hold out and I have to pay out of pocket!!

I am so sorry about your problems. When you buy a "dream machine" that costs that much, you should get one. I have no interest in mach. embroidery, so got the 820 and I love it. I happen to have an exceptional dealer and I think that makes the difference. This is an Amish family business and they are honest and way beyond just helpful. The high end machines are picky (they ARE computerized and we all know what that means) and you have to learn to use them. You need a dealer who is knowledgable and works with you. The optimal word there is Knowledgeable.
    That said, I have had battles with this 820 and it always seems to be something I've done or was too impatient to do or thought my way was "just fine." I take classes and continue to learn and the more I learn, the better the machine gets. Yes, there is a learning curve.

When the 830 was introduced, Bernina send representative/s( number depending on the number of machines a dealer sells) from the dealership to Switzerland for a training course. Any company that does that stands behind its product. I strongly suggest you contact Bernina directly.
    I do so hope you can work this out. Good luck.
    Last edited by bobquilt3; 03-04-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Jeanne, For this high end of the high end sewing machines, the service should be impeccable. I am an owner of a Bernina, a much more middle end one, but I have experienced more service than you had. Inform your supplier that you're not happy with this machine and with their service. Inform them that the machine still doesn't work as it should, and that you want them to fix it. If they do not, I would suggest you to inform Bernina, and ask them to fix your machine or to replace it with a reasonable refund added (there are no other machines in this price area).

Do not accept to work with a machine that does not work as it should.
    You and your quilts are worth more than that, and quilting should be fun!

Annemart
    http://www.quiltingthetownred.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problems, I do not have new one.. but do have the old 830 in the "RED" Case and a Virtuosa 153 both of which I have not had a moments trouble with either. Sure hope someone on board has suggestions to help you.

Judy in Phx, AZ
    I have the same two Berninas as yours, and I love them both! Would not part with the original 830 when I bought the new one, and I use them both, and well as my old Singers and FW. When they came out with the new 830, I asked the dealer why they used the same number to the new one, and he said that model was the best one they evey made, so wanted to call the new fancy one by the same number. Hope she gets the problems worked out and enjoys her Bernina as much as I do mine!

Wow! After reading all this, I'm glad I don't own a new machine. I do have the "old" 830 from the 70's and love it.

Sure do hope you get satisfaction with this matter.

Hi I bought a new Bernina 830 series last June 2011 and it has broken down four times in this short span of time. Each time it goes back to the dealer for weeks on end, it gets repaired and within weeks another symptom appears and it fails to work. I am at my wits end with this machine. It cost 6200. When it works it's a dream but if it throws a wobbler then you have a disfunctional machine. At this price I should not be having to get it repaired so often. I had a Frister Rossmann machine for 30+ years it never broke down and in fact it is still running like a dream only I gave it away to my 9 year old nephew and haven't got the heart to ask for it back ( at least he is getting some pleasure out of it ) So I too am bitterly dissappointed with this machine, I have asked for the machine to be replaced but Bernina have sent a letter to the dealer saying it must be user error ( do they know me ? NO ) I am an experience sewer. I have not asked for my money back I just would love my machine to just work maybe show off and do a straight line.... am I asking for too much I ask myself? I have been on the tution courses provided with the machine infact I had another Bernina the Artista 200 and I went on the 2 day course for that which is very similar in a lot of ways. This was a good machine only I traded it in to have this new upgrade...what a fool I was. My dealer said he would give me more tution omg.....it's a machine that works is what I want not to be made a incompetant idiot. I feel sad, money hard earnt spent on a waste of time machine. Any ideas...? What about Bernina Brand 1st class?????hummm

Jane are you like me ... they will have to pry it from my cold hands... each yer I have it serviced the dealer always asks if I am ready to trade her in... not in this lifetime..

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane3 View Post
    Judy - I have the same Bernia 830 that you have and it works fine and I love it!

Contact Bernina directly by phone if possible. I bet you get quick results. If the dealer won't exchange for another one I'd ask them for the companies complaint department/customer service telephone number. That might motivate them to correct the problem.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Power Poster
    Your first post was Feb 23, 2012.

What has happened since?

Did you contact Bernina directly?

Did you get your machine working properly?

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I've had my Bernina since 1989 and it is great. You bought a lemon and I'd be calling Bernina every day until they shut me up! The loudest wheel.......
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

I had trouble with a new sewing machine for emboidery several years ago. Sounded like the trouble you are having. They took it apart and found that there was a burr inside where the thread passed through. They fixed and I never had another problem with the machine. This was a singer emboidery machine.
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I have an older Bernina about 12 years old and no problems. I have heard of a few disappointed customer's of the 830
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I am hating my 82o right now and loathing Bernina! I want this Lemon replaced with a trouble free version but am having trouble getting an email response from them. Maybe I need to call them and tell them I am getting ready to contact a lawyer.

Annie from Bossier City

Jeanne, this is a post I posted on Bernina Lovers on FaceBook. If you go to Bernina Lovers you can see we are not alone. We also posted on the Bernina USA and Bernina 830 pages on Facebook.

I really wish I had read all the reviews on the 830 before I bought it. My dealer has been great and she has given me a new one, only 3 months after I got the 1st one. I know I am not the only person this has happened to because I was in class with some others who have had to exchange their machines. I really feel I have lost $12000.... more including all the feet I have purchased. Software plus..... I am no longer in love with my 830 and I am soooo disappointed. I really feel there is a design flaw with the bobbin and other areas in the machine.... If I could get a refund I would.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast