Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is my disappointment justified? >

Is my disappointment justified?

Is my disappointment justified?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 AM

My company never charges a customer's credit card until the day we ship the order. If we have to order from our supplier - the order is held until parts are received and then we bill. Yes it does take more effort to keep track of orders - but it's only fair.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 AM

I agree! As soon as I read this post I thought...."How hard is it to trust your employees?" I own a heating and cooling company and no one understands why I personally answer the phone and won't hire someone to do it. This is exactly why. No one gives personal service or remembers customers the same way an owner does or should. Says a lot about the work ethics of our times. Sad!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM

I personally don't think any etailer should charge a credit card until the purchase is actually shipped! However, if you special order an item at a retail store you have to pay for it when you order it. Maybe that is the stance the etailers take when you order from them.?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM

I think I would call the credit card co amd see what they say. I would also see about canceling the order AFTER you talk to the credit card people.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by watterstide
of course you have every right to be upset. they should not of charged you, until it was ready to be shipped.

But one complaint would not make me leery of shopping on line with them..mistakes happen.

I am sure the owner of the shop will make good on this. IF she has been made aware of it.

i have been so blessed with great service from all the on-line shops i have bought from over the years.
Charging and not shipping is not a mistake. It is against the law. The way they are handling this order and how long it is taking is just wrong.

Anna, the mistake i was referring to..was the way it was handled over the phone. The owner is not aware of what has transpired..by her help/staff.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 PM

I agree that the card shouldn't have been charged until the package was being packed. They owe you!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I guess I swim upstream on this issue. If I were a vendor, I would not ship anything that was not cleared on a credit card first - if I shipped it and then the card was either overdrawn or stolen, I'd be responsible for the charge and out the product.
As for a brick and mortar store, around here most of them are closed Mondays to make up for being open on the weekends. So if your order came in on Saturday, it would be totally reasonable to not be processed until Tuesday.
I think in some ways, we've become so used to instant service by the internet only stores, that we forget that brick and mortar stores have customers inside the store to work with too, not just a computer.
I'd cut them a little slack. If you don't have it by Friday, I think that would be reasonable unless you're paying for overnight shipping.

I can understand and relate to what you are saying, but the only way to succeed in business is to provide excellent customer service. Having a store front as well as an e-store only provides basis to need extra personnel to process the orders. The customers on-line deserve as much respect as those at the store. No reason for them to wait so long. If the owner took in more than she could handle, she should not have one or the other.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Busy Schmizzy (OK I know it isn't a word :) ) They had/made time to charge your credit card.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter
What is a hug me light?
A hug me light is one that you stick onto your machine and it is on a flexible arm and it curves around so your light is in the right place.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by Shari1967
They apparently weren't to busy to take your money....
A lot of etailers are going to real-time credit card processing, which means your card is authorized at the moment you press submit and then processed during settlement for the day. It is a giant time saver for the etailer, potentially saves them money on declines for which orders are already in process, and CAN be more secure for you, depending on how their processing is handled. If they wait for ages to process the charge then you know your credit card number is just sitting there in their database for all and sundry to see. (It may still be, but many companies just don't do that anymore.)

On the other hand, a delay like that is not good business. Perhaps their technology and their processes are out of sync. Either way, I think you are well within your rights to ask for a reversal to your card.
The down side of this process is that they process your payment instantly, but if you are due a refund, it takes several days.