Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: my lqs is closing, and "my" bernina is on layaway there..help!!

It was probably a reasonable offer to take $250 off and give you the classes before she closes. I bought my 440 used from a private party and paid to take the classes. My local Bernina dealer offers an adoption package for $250 for all the classes and servicing for one year. I've done that twice, once for the 440 and once for my 1300 serger and it was well worth it. You might give the other dealers a call. It might be possible to arrange an appointment to have it serviced while you wait so you don't drive an hour away twice. I love my Berninas ...

Blog Entries
    [
    sooooo, viking or pfaff?? i have a viking 350 (their intro to computerized machines about 15 years ago)--will my walking foot for that machine work on a saphire?[/QUOTE]

Most of the feet should work. I bought a Ruby and I had already had the Viking #1 and all of the feet fit on the Ruby. There is quite a bit of age difference between the two. Good luck. I think you made a good choice.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    here is a quick follow up...I did call Hubby and tell him what transpired. He did not like the "wait a week for a refund"...and decided to stop in there on his way home. in his words "all i did was say, Laurie, can we talk about Betsey's Machine (i think in his mind, he wanted to bring it home) and she started yelling at him". Long story short, i have a check from her in my hands.

WOW. it may be a blessing in disguise even if she had not closed up shop! i bought last month from a closing dealer and we were provided with "certificates" to our dealer of choice for classes and the one-year free cleaning. I think the new dealer needs to be paid for the classes and they must work that out between themselves. Its always to the new dealer's advantage to treat the new customer well for obvious reasons. This is all moot for you now!! Take a look at the Pfaff Ambition 1.0 and 1.5...they are loaded with features...great bang for the buck...lovely stitches and only lack a thread-cutter. So far, lots of rave reviews on that one.
    mea

Ask the other dealers if they'd honor your warranty work and classes from the other closing store. Also this could give you an opportunity to deal the price down farther.
    From the heart
    Nancy

Medford, Wisconsin, up north in God's country
    Quote Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
    I did send her an email asking these questions and most likely today I will stop in and ask in person. i would likely have a higher comfort level if i was a bernina owner allready and "spoke bernina". the two other dealers are both more than one hour away. i know, not a great amount of time, but for a working mom, time is everything
    I have a 450 & if I lived closer I would teach you my self :-) If you want it that bad then through hoops to get it......I love mine & it really is easy to use, you can PM me anytime :-)
    Live each day to the fullest as it was your last.
    Grama Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Chris View Post
    I have a 450 & if I lived closer I would teach you my self :-) If you want it that bad then through hoops to get it......I love mine & it really is easy to use, you can PM me anytime :-)
    Thank you so much! in all honesty---i'm the kind of person that believes that things work out the way they are supposed to. at this point, i will NOT go back and try to make a deal with her. that's also me .

The one thing that did bother me about the bernina, was the shorter throat space. One of my goals is to become more proficient at machine quilting...so maybe this works out to be a blessing in disguise. Yesterday i was feeling a bit down about this...but then i realized, i'm not moving from a mercedes to a yugo, i'm now looking at volvo's and bmw's .

betsey

If you have all these concerns I would ask for my money back and go some place else to buy.If you belong to a quilt guild ask them who cleans and repairs their machines.

Well since your back to shopping, a shopping I would go. Test drive all those that hold an interest to you, and even consider looking at others. Make a list of the most important items you want on your new machine, and explore all your options. Honestly I think I would look for the store I like the best and go from there. Although I am sad your not going to be able to get this machine, honestly I think it was for a reason. That lady seems very difficult to deal with, and a bit rude. Good luck on your new adventure and keep us posted as to what you decide on!! Happy Shopping!!
    Amythyst

Good luck with your dilemma! Hope everything works out!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina which I love ! The LQS where I purchased It moved to another state but made arrangements for any thing I needed (or any of their Bernina owner customers) to be handled at the next closest Bernina dealer. We all miss them terribly but our Berninas are well cared for and are excellent machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amythyst02 View Post
    Well since your back to shopping, a shopping I would go. Test drive all those that hold an interest to you, and even consider looking at others. Make a list of the most important items you want on your new machine, and explore all your options. Honestly I think I would look for the store I like the best and go from there. Although I am sad your not going to be able to get this machine, honestly I think it was for a reason. That lady seems very difficult to deal with, and a bit rude. Good luck on your new adventure and keep us posted as to what you decide on!! Happy Shopping!!

a bit rude is a mild understatment i have a list of those that interest me, and will check them out. please don't be sad about this machine...we aren't talking a puppy or a horse here! things always work out the way they are supposed to, it's all good!

betsey

i do know of two other bernina dealers. my concern is that if I buy this machine, will the other dealers honor the warrentee and be helpful, or is it a case of "you really need to have bought it here for me to take care of you". sigh. I need to be honest, 2000+ for a sewing machine is a HUGE thing for me. to not have good back up is scary. As I said, i can buy the viking and most likely be very very happy.
    I bought my first embroidery machine at The International Houston Quilt Show never thinking about lessons or care. The dealer was about 2 hrs away. After I found a dealer not 12 miles from me (has since closed) that when I asked her if I could take lessons when she gives her next class could I join in she said "you should have bought it from me." I explained I didn't even know she was there and would pay for the lessons but was refused. I vowed then never to buy impulse,always buy from close by dealer.If you are given an opportunity to get your money back I would.Find a nearby dealer with that money and go from there.

youtube is great to help if you are trying to find out how to do something. hope it helps if you need it.
    Deb

I would talk to the store which is closing because they will know where you can get your machine fixed when if it needs repaired in the future. Some sewing machine stores will repair other models. Borrow the money from mom or dad or sisters or brothers. Just be sure to pay them back because if you don't it will cause a riff in family relationships.
    Good luck.

Is the store owner leaving the area or just changing over to an online store? If the owner is staying local, I would see if she/he is willing to provide the mastery classes, etc. Otherwise, I would get the money back. Now! Do not wait until June 30th. The Bernina is a fantastic machine - I have one that I bought second hand from a fellow guild member when she upgraded. I also have an Elna 7200 that I bought from a friend who just didn't use it. It is also fantastic. As some others have said, if the cost of the mastery classes is included with the machine and you still want to buy it, that cost should be deducted up front. My 2 worth.

How about asking your lqs about it first. It looks like it is only 1 day that you'd be different than their closing date. I'm sure they'd still be able to do that for you. AND, there are many service centers around as long as you take your sales receipt along w/you that you can get the manufacturers warranty honored at. Wish you well in your purchase. RELAX!

Blog Entries
    That happened to me too and I was told I could go to a shop about an hour and a half away....NOT. I had already bought and picked up the machine, hadn't had 1 lesson yet so I was out of luck. I had to learn the machine on my own. I no longer own that machine due to so many service problems with it...too much aggravation to get it to service.

If you don't have a local (or almost local) service center, it's not worth the trouble....even to take it in for cleaning.

I hate when we shops do this to people without any reasonable notice.

But good luck on what you decide.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Please contact me, I think I might be able to give you some information that will help.
    Kay in NJ

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    It's so important to take classes for your new Bernina. My dealer is 2 hours away and over a snowy mountain pass, so I only get lessons in the summer. There is a quilt shop with a Bernina dealership closer, but they won't teach me classes. I didn't know about the closer one when I bought my machine.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

First you need to make sure that you get a full warranty and the other "perks" that go with a new machine because you mentioned that yours is a "demo" model. And find out if other Bernina dealers will honor that.

I assume that there is a Viking dealer nearby for your "alternative" machine....but how "solid" are they? You might face the same issue down the road with the Viking.

I feel your pain because my trusty long-time Bernina dealer retired and closed his store. Another store in the area took over the franchise but I'm a bit leery of a "new" technician -- although he's been through all the training classes etc.

Difficult decision......good luck.

i do know of two other bernina dealers. my concern is that if I buy this machine, will the other dealers honor the warrentee and be helpful, or is it a case of "you really need to have bought it here for me to take care of you". sigh. I need to be honest, 2000+ for a sewing machine is a HUGE thing for me. to not have good back up is scary. As I said, i can buy the viking and most likely be very very happy.
    Call the other dealers and ask them. Bernina always stands behind their warranties and products.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    I'd talk to Bernina and see if they can allay your concerns. If not, I would get my money back and buy a different machine. I'm not sure you'd be happy otherwise. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I would ask for my money back and if they gave me trouble, I'd then contact Bernina.

My BFF is a Bernina tech. Another friend of ours bought a Vicking machine from another company 2 hours away from us. She still is trying to learn her machine because the classes were group classes with multiple machines and she couldn't concentrate on what she needed to know for hers. Bernina offers lots of classes on line even they are wonderful since I have taken many of them myself. I wish I were in your shoes and could buy a new Bernina They are wonderful machines. But the most important thing is to have the support you need local. There are no gurantees in life and things always will change but planning for your future enjoyment of your machine is a smart move. Check out www.berninausa.com you might be able to get some help I hope.

Blog Entries
    hi everyone!

here is the follow up--after the fact that she yelled at my way to sweet of a DH....no way will i ever set foot in her store, in person or online, ever. this experience has soured me on bernina. I still think it's a great machine, but not willing to encounter another attitude.

I'm a viking person-i have a great 350 that is such a workhorse. Today i went to my local viking dealer-about 45 minutes away. over the course of 15 year, i have bought my 350 from him, my babylock embroidery machine from him (an ellure...it's old, but great!) and vacuums. he's been in business for at least 30 years. they aren't going ANYWHERE!

Long story short...I'm getting a viking tribute 140 c. got a GREAT price (even better than the special that viking is advertising) and the little extras coming with it, as well as an extended warrentee through the store. They did not have one in stock...but i played with an 835 and an 875 long enough to know that I will LOVE the tribute. These are people I trust. they aren't fancy, but they do good work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast