Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sister is the Quilt Police....Who knew! >

My sister is the Quilt Police....Who knew!

My sister is the Quilt Police....Who knew!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Because the lady who got me interested was a stickler for everything being perfect and used all the "right" tools I always felt really inadeguate when I looked at my stash or tools. She would only use the very best in quilting fabric and I could not afford that. Thanks to all of you who have helped me see that a quilt made with love (even if it doesn't last 100 yrs.) is better than not making a quilt. My grandchildren are waiting for their own quilt and I'm sure they will love it. I'd rather they use it up than put it away and never look at it. Perfect has it's own set of problems!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Wow! I hope she has a boat load of money then to buy all the "real" quilting fabric and gadgets. This is one expensive hobby. My Sis and I share most everything we have. Most everything we have was bought on sale and if it wasn't we waited until it was. I would hate to add up what we have for quilting. Besides, recycling is a good thing. :thumbup:
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
Because the lady who got me interested was a stickler for everything being perfect and used all the "right" tools I always felt really inadeguate when I looked at my stash or tools. She would only use the very best in quilting fabric and I could not afford that. Thanks to all of you who have helped me see that a quilt made with love (even if it doesn't last 100 yrs.) is better than not making a quilt. My grandchildren are waiting for their own quilt and I'm sure they will love it. I'd rather they use it up than put it away and never look at it. Perfect has it's own set of problems!
Love this answer! I agree!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
Oh, sisters...you gotta love 'em. I have one just like her; thank goodness my other sister doesn't give a hoot!
Gotta love 'em, can't shoot 'em cuz Mom would get mad!

I have 2 one I get along great with. One, I don't get along with even when we are in different states! :roll:
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

on behalf of your sister, I must say, somethings are done a certain way for a reason!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Kind of like the bowler who always wants to tell me how to bowl better! The truth is I hate bowling so I don't give a rats A!

Ignore your sister.

Sandy
Old 09-25-2011, 11:16 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelby
My sis seemed to be developing an interest in quilting, so I gifted her a quilt class. It was for the basics. She went, and loved it!
She also took every word as the quilting gospel.
I now know that:
I use my rotary cutter improperly.
My bobbin thread is not always the same color as the top thread.
I incorrectly mix my fabrics in the same quilt. ( Joanns, WalMart and LQS) Oh! The horror!!
I sometimes use a sheet for backing.
I sometimes use dishes, lids or whatever instead of proper templates.
I don't really NEED all the rulers I have.
I don't always follow the pattern.
Bless her well meaning heart, I love her dearly but if she says just ONE MORE thing about my methods or lack thereof, I will beat her to death with my stash.
I sent her the link to this board, she will learn much more here from all of you talented folks.
And she will get to see this when she joins!!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phannie1
I remember my first grader telling me about how his teacher did this and his teacher did that, and I did not do it right either. by sixth grade the teacher did not know what she was talking about and Mom was great. (Mom also would drive him to the mall.) :-D
Perfect answer!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
on behalf of your sister, I must say, somethings are done a certain way for a reason!
But it isn't the end of the world if they aren't done that certain way.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Yes. If you take a class at a quilt shop, you are told never to mix inferior Jo Ann fabric with LQS. If you take a class at Jo Ann, you will be told never to mix in inferior Walmart fabric. If you take a class at Walmart, they tell you never to sew colorful paper napkins into your quilt.

PS: I am breaking "the rules" by using a Viking machine on a Bernina frame. Anyone know what the fine is if I get caught with that?

PPS: To really horrify your sister, go to Hulu and watch "Hells Kitchen" season 3, episode 3. One of the chefs throws away spaghetti, then a minute later realizes she needs it ASAP. She takes it off the top of the trash, washes it, re-boils it, and is going to serve it when another chef stops her!