Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Input for questions on Secret Pal Swap >

Need Input for questions on Secret Pal Swap

Need Input for questions on Secret Pal Swap

Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the part about filling out the form completely. It leaves a lot to be said when there is only a small amount of information. Also, I have been a SP swap participant for over a year and the only problem I have (and sometimes I am as guilty as others) is 'I have seen some SP packages that have enough material to make a twin size quilt top and items that you could not possible buy for less than $10.' If you were to go to a fabric store you would pay as much as $50 (and more) to buy some of the items in the packages. Some members don't have a large stash and I have seen comments about the packages costing much more than $10. This may be out of line, but what about limiting the items sent to no more than 5, 7, 10 or whatever? I have seen packages where 20 items have been sent and sometimes when I have a limited budget (most times) I feel bad that my package may not look as good. Just my personal thoughts. You do a great job and I want to thank you.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi
Good morning y'all.
First of all, Lori, you are doing a fabulous job keeping us swapping, I know it is very difficult, and you do great.

The suggestions mentioned about being specific about books,Pets and holidays are great, I want to add that maybe one should also mention of they sew (as in clothes) in addition to quilting or not. Your pal may have some sewing patterns they like to send.

All that being said, I think that I really like the questionnaire as is, and I think that many of the people who are, ummm, wordy have already written a book in there( :mrgreen: ) , and many others have left some questions unanswered. So I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't need to wait for the perfect question, for example, your favorite color is purple, but you are collecting reds for a quilt, put that in there just like that, you put in your other hobbies that you like to read, just add what type of books, just be more wordy that is,lol, it does make it so much easier for your pal.
Very well said Candi.The color or style of fabric really helps.Since alot send fabric (bought or from stash) It is great to know what to send. Not just favorie color. Most of my partners were really good about saying what color they need or are wanting. That's not being greedy. Just helping your partner choose.Last year several said they don't celebrate halloween,but do love christmas items. Also I think one said she was jewish.That helped in not sending christian items. Good luck with the remake on the list Lori. Mary
Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 AM

I need help with making out my list. Is there a way to make Lori's list come up that I can just put in the answers?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by annt59
I need help with making out my list. Is there a way to make Lori's list come up that I can just put in the answers?
it is always posted when the SIGN up is posted!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Lori you are doing a great job and i'm new so I'm learning what to add on my info and i'm so glad for all of the tips ......Keep up the good work Lori
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by QJ1
What in the world is this picture of??????????/ Its awful
QJ1
what are you referring to please?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 PM

How about these favorites: Colors, authors, threads, fabric lines, magazines, perfumes.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 PM

I know of a couple of people that go to estate sales and garage sales and have acquired alot of fabric for very little and that is why they are able to give as much fabric as they do. I am on a fixed income as are alot of people on this site. I can not compete with those that send a lot of fabric but this is not a competition and no one should feel bad about the amount they send. We send our love and thoughts along with the items we pack into those squishie or firmie and I think everyone knows that. We also have some swappers on here who used to have a LQS and have stock left over. I know that I have received things that are over the $10 limit but can tell that they are not new just something the sender will not use. I will not be limiting the number of items you can send only the amount of money you can spend, which is $10. Quilters are very creative when it comes to stretching their money.

Originally Posted by twinkie
I agree with the part about filling out the form completely. It leaves a lot to be said when there is only a small amount of information. Also, I have been a SP swap participant for over a year and the only problem I have (and sometimes I am as guilty as others) is 'I have seen some SP packages that have enough material to make a twin size quilt top and items that you could not possible buy for less than $10.' If you were to go to a fabric store you would pay as much as $50 (and more) to buy some of the items in the packages. Some members don't have a large stash and I have seen comments about the packages costing much more than $10. This may be out of line, but what about limiting the items sent to no more than 5, 7, 10 or whatever? I have seen packages where 20 items have been sent and sometimes when I have a limited budget (most times) I feel bad that my package may not look as good. Just my personal thoughts. You do a great job and I want to thank you.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM

I would include a question about if somebody would like something regional or from a different country if their secret pal is located far away. Not sure how I'd phrase the question, but I got some Australian small items (a cheese knife with a koala and a beautiful postcard) in a swap once and love them!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Used quilting mags are a good idea because I have so many and it is so hard for me to part with them. Good way to recirculate them (and it won't hurt so much if I know someone will enjoy them.)
Lori, you are doing a wonderful job and so have my secret pals. I have loved every one of my packages and each one has been so different because we all are such individuals. I am looking forward to September (and promise to get more info in my sign-up.) :thumbup: