Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Iron Recommendation >

New Iron Recommendation

New Iron Recommendation

Old 02-06-2019, 08:08 PM

Another vote for Oliso. Love mine. Bought about a year ago. $$$ but so far no spitting or leaking.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:36 PM

I got the Oliso Pro for Christmas. So far I’m loving it. I will never put water in it so I’m not worried about it leaking. And it shuts off after 30 minutes, that’s a plus for me. Wasn’t cheap but well worth it. It gets pretty hot too which is another plus.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:13 AM

Which model of the Shark did you purchase?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:52 AM

I'm also a fan of my Panasonic cordless. I've had it about 3 years and it's still going strong. I purchased a back-up Panasonic when Walmart has some on clearance, but it's still in the box.

Before the Panasonic, I used a T-Fal Teflon coated corded iron that was around $25 and did great. It's now the back up to my backup.

For thrums question about it turning off too quickly -- that is offset by it's ease of use. I know when I will need to iron and get up, turn it on, and go back to what I'm doing about a minute before I need it. My iron is the older model with a flat side, but I will say I always put it back in it's base to re-heat and not set it on the ironing board. I don't think the points on both side would be a show stopper for me.

Last edited by Sheri.a; 03-13-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 AM

I have no advice for you. I am on my 3rd Oliso after 3 failed Rowentas. One would think I am hard on irons. Marcia
Old 03-13-2019, 02:05 PM

I have tried them all--Oleso, Rowenta, Sunbeam, etc and on and on. I'm old and I've had a lot of irons. The Only iron I recommend is the Black and Decker Digital Advantage. My reason is that it heats fast, has an automatic shut off But will reset to the former temp with a quick flick of the wrist. The sole is as smooth as silk. It also does not care whether or not you empty the steam/water chamber every time you use it. I have never had this iron leak or even die on me. I have had three of these irons and have only had to replace them because I previously had to work on cement and dropped the other two irons. One after owning it only a few weeks. And for the whipped cream on this little treat--the price is half the cost of the more finicky expensive irons. Did I say I love this iron?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-15-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I've had success with three different brands: Sunbeam, GE, and Black & Decker. One was $4 from Goodwill and lasted a couple years, another was new in the $20 range probably 8-9 years ago and still going strong, another more recent is larger and hubby likes it to iron his work clothes ($30-40).

Keep in mind the weight of the iron. If it's too light, it tips over easily. If too heavy, it puts strain on your shoulder and wrist. The other features I consider are 1) how easy to see the water inside the reservoir 2) auto shut-off --a must for me 3) high wattage 4) is it cute? LOL
I love old irons because the get very hot. However, NEVER leave the room when it is on. I have had 2 different old irons start on fire. I pull the plug even if I run to the bathroom!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
Question of Panasonic Owners: I looked into buying a Panasonic, but these two comments by former Panasonic owners put me off.

The iron turns off too quickly.
Both ends are pointed so you can't set it up on its heal e.g. when adjusting fabric.

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks so much.
Hi, I treated myself to the Panasonic 360 cordless iron at a Black Friday sale just this past year and I love it for several reasons. Mainly because its so easy to keep by my sewing machine to press and sew simultaneously since it sits in its own base, so I don't worry about knocking it over. Other irons would worry me, and maybe that's just me, but I take great comfort in that.

It's also a nice size being slightly smaller than a regular iron and coming with its own cover for storage and travel. It fits nicely on the table by my machine next to my ironing pad. As far as turning off quickly, I haven't found it to be a problem as it takes about 10 minutes to turn to off and its really easy to push the touch button back to on and it reheat back up super quickly.

On occasion I caught myself going to place it down in a way you can't do because of the two points, (old habits) but I catch myself and find it just as easy to set safe and sound on the base as it is to set a regular iron down on its heel. I also like the way the water reservoir snaps out to take to the sink to fill.

I still have my regular iron too and would pick that for ironing a big piece of yardage on my big ironing board, but for quilting, I love the Panasonic cordless and I iron my quilt squares at more moments in the process than I would have without it. Hope this helps!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Travel iron bought for $1 at a garage sale is the one I use the most.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM

I just bought a Maytag, mainly because it seemed like nobody else had one so I wouldn’t hear about all the ones that croaked. That, and I could have it delivered in two hours on a Saturday evening with Prime Now when I realized my old one had died. So far I like it.