Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Iron Recommendation >

New Iron Recommendation

New Iron Recommendation

Old 07-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Is funny the things we like/don't like. Personally, I don't like irons that turn off. They do it too fast and most take too long for me to heat up. I also like fairly heavy irons, and prefer them on the long side to short. Most of all, I'm hard on irons, I drop them all the time...

So I either take a chance on a good brand used iron at the Goodwill (only to get home and find it doesn't steam) or I go to Target and look for the cheapest iron that has the longest cord. I want that extra long cord! They cost under $20 and last several years or until the case cracks from me dropping them. That usually happens before any other problems.

I use steam, we have good water here in the PNW, but I usually use day old water so the chlorine is gone.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:35 PM

I’ve just read through this thread, because my 3 year old Oliso (blue) caused the electric breaker to pop twice in my last session of using it. It also leaks a bit, but I was wiling to live with that, but it had also developed other electrical issues like not turning off automatically or even sometimes, if I turned the dial to “off”, it was still hot. A bit scary...

Anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone had anything to add to this thread about your favorite iron and why you like it.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 PM

A couple months ago I was piecing squares into strips and pressing the seams as I went with the (3 year old) Black and Decker Classic iron, just had it on low to get the seams flattened, when I pressed a seam I noticed an odd smell, looked at the piece and it was scorched, almost burnt through. Somehow the iron just went wild overheating, after unplugging it, it took a couple hours before it was cool enough to wrap the cord around and take it to the garage. I went to Walmart and bought one of their 10 dollar irons, so far it's working just fine, heats quickly and no auto shut off to annoy me, or grabby steam holes that somehow constantly snagged the edges of seam allowances. Not all that unhappy to see that particular iron pack it in.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:49 AM

I had an Oliso until a few months ago, I was ironing and smelled smoked and poof it caught fire. I used the fabric I was ironing to smother it until my husband used the fire extinguisher. I bought a Hamilton Beach Durathon from Walmart for $49.00. I had just started ironing, didn't have 6" done when this happened and I ruined 3 yards of fabric.Oh well, no one got hurt and the house didn't burn down. Oliso won't do anything for me because it was out of warranty.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

My Oliso started spitting and spewing brown water yesterday. I have had it for 15 months. It was the yellow one and I won it at a quilt show door prize. I'm glad I didn't spend my money on it. I ordered the Reliable steam generator iron with tank yesterday from Amazon for $242. Less then two Oliso irons. The quilt shop here has one for all class members to use and it is over five years old and still working like new. Should have gotten one to start with.

Oops the price is $173! I was looking at the $242 one before I ordered. About the same price as one Oliso! LOL

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-16-2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Recently bought a Chi iron for $49.00 and I do like it. I kept having problems with fabric catching in the steam holes while ironing open my seams, especially the tips on HSTs. Went looking for an iron that had a soleplate without holes and ended up with the Chi because of the tiny holes and it's reasonable price. The science of a ceramic soleplate is beyond me but it didn't put me off, and I also like the ten foot cord.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 AM

I went to look at the Black and Decker ‘Digital Advantage’ but ended up with their Light and Easy instead. It was about $16 (after coupon). At least if it dies it will be less painful financially!