Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine Dilemma >

New Machine Dilemma

New Machine Dilemma

Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM

I was considering buying a sewing machine with a good embroidery module but decided not to. Here's what went into my decision. Might or might not apply to you.

I have more quilt projects, that I want to do, then I have time for now. I still have many different quilting techniques I'd like to try out. You may have a lot more time to spend on this than I do.

From the research I did a few years ago many folks recommended buying a separate embroidery machine anyway so I felt it was something I could pick up at a different time. This seems to be true for you too.

I like to do original designs for quilts. I don't like to use things already designed. For me the funnest part of quilting is designing the quilt and picking out the fabric. I know I could do original embroidery designs but it seems like the learning curve and messing around with software for it would be more of a learning curve than warranted for the enjoyment I would get out of it. Also it seems like this type of machine requires more software updates and things of this nature, which makes the machine obsolete sooner than without the module. I have an electrical engineering background so my motto on technology is always will it actually make my life easier or is it just going to
add a lot of time to my work?

I did buy a machine that has lots of interesting stitches on it and letters on it and I've had a lot of fun learning and using these. It was a quick learning curve.

I hope these considerations help you figure out if the embroidery unit is right for you. I think it makes sense to wait on it. Play with the machine and use all the new features. Then if you still crave the embroidery unit buy it, You'll know you made the right decision by waiting.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:28 PM

Before you jump for the Bernina, I would suggest you shop around at the brands members have mentioned other than Bernina. You may discover you will have even more $ left. My first embroidery machine was a Pfaff 2170, and later on after much embroidering, I upgraded to the Husqvarna Viking Diamond Deluxe, then traded in for the Diamond Deluxe Royale. I absolutely love that machine. Viking also has other "gems" for embroidery, like the Ruby and the Topaz. Pfaff's top of the line is the Creative Sensation Pro, but there are models also that have embroidery arms, and even one that has an optional embroidery arm. Good luck in finding your dream machine and enjoy!
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM

I think you have to decide whether or not you really want to do machine embroidery. I have a Diamond - love the machine - had little interest in ME when I bought it and still don't. Thought I might get interested but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:50 PM

I thought I would like ME when I bought my machine and the unit is still in the box - I never got it out. Seems like I don't have enough time for quilts let alone ME but that's just me.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
I love my embroidery machine, but it is not a combination machine. I paid $750 for a brand new Brother PE770 that does up to 5x7" designs. I buy most of my designs from Embroidery Library, and usually on a good sale. I do not have software on my computer to look at the designs. I keep a printout of the design and the color changes with the design number in a binder. I look at the binder to decide which design I want, then I go to the computer and get that design number. I buy thread in 1400 yd cones and I shop online where the thread is no more expensive than good sewing thread. Yes, I spend more on thread because I want all the colors. The cost has not been an issue for me. I also have a high-end sewing machine that I bought on sale for less than $1500. Between the two machines I can do anything a nearly $8000 Bernina can do, and I am quite happy. I would never limit myself to 1 machine as I would be up the proverbial creek if it were in the shop. When my embroidery machine was in the shop (once in 5 years) I was still able to sew with my other machine. Besides, catastrophic failure of an $8000 machine would kill me!
You can download a free viewer for .pes designs here..
http://www.sharewareconnection.com/thumbnail-viewer.htm[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3] I used it for yrs before buying the Embrilliance Thumbnailer. And here is another free viewer that I have also used on a laptop.http://www.redmugs.com/html/viewer/download/index.php"]http://www.redmugs.com/html/viewer/download/index.php Both are used within your computer - not on line. Personally, I would recommend Tajima Pulse Ambassador which not only shows you the image, reformats designs, changes colors..it also prints in true to size--thread colors, stitches, etc and even tells you on the printout how much thread is used and suggests a price to charge. (mine does-tho it is very old, at least 10 yrs).

[/URL]
Old 04-20-2015, 06:46 PM

For machine embroidery I would look at the Brother. They have amazing machines for ME. For me though, I wouldn't use the ME, so I'd skip it. Really when I look at machines I know I can use a small machine for piecing and give me a nice big quilt machine.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 PM

I bought the Bernina 710 last year. At the time, the dealer asked if I did embroidery or would want to. I didn't think I would & said the most I was interested in is making my quilt labels & deco stitches. So the 710 was the best for me. I still have a lot to learn on the 710 so I'm glad I didn't get the embroidery.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM

Well I ended up not getting the new 770 QE w/ embroidery. My LQS had one of the top machines from the last 7 series the 780 E w/EM new and in the box. I ended up paying $3000 less than MSRP for this machine and I'm sure I will love it. I had my "out of the box" class yesterday and it took 2 1/2 hours and I feel confident in the basics of using the machine. My DH is carrying it up to my sewing room when he gets home - only real drawback to me is its weight which is 34 lbs. I plan to do some sewing in a bit. I'm looking forward to using the stitch regulator for FMQ - I have class for that next week. Then over the next month or so I have two general classes for new machines and then 2 more classes for my embroidery unit. All classes are free with the machine. I also have two DVDs one for sewing and one for embroidery - seems like there is a lot to experience with this machine. I'm excited to get started.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 PM

I purchased an Elna machine that only does embroidery. I wanted it to make labels. The print does not reduce down enough to do small sentences. I have made two designs. It was several Thousand. I regret it.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
When I bought my BL crescendo 2 years ago, I did not want an embroidery machine. I still don't want one.
Ditto! I actually traded in my embroidery machine for my BL Crescendo. Love love love it!