Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine Dilemma >

New Machine Dilemma

New Machine Dilemma

Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

As a professional embroiderer, I wanted a professional machine. couldn't afford one so I bout a brother pe770. there is a learning curve. A different program on the computer and a smaller emb area. also, I was used to 15 needles on a machine compared to 1 single machine needle. when I bought it. it came with all the supplies i'd need for half a lifetime. just needed to get toppings for towels. I had to buy a memory stick also to download designs. I love it for the price. Have fun.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:34 PM

I love my embroidery machine (Janome 12000 and have a Janome 350E that I want to sell because I don't use it since I have the larger one.) I don't use the embroidery machine all the time, but I LOVE embroidery! I've loved it since I was about 12 or 13 and embroidered on those blue lines printed on table linens.

However, I didn't get an embroidery machine until about 3 or 4 years ago. I wish I had discovered the world of machine embroidery earlier. Much earlier.

As to all that stuff....I don't even know what all that is. You need stabilizers and thread and temp. adhesive spray, but I use the spray for basting quilts. The rest of the necessary stuff comes with the machine.

I did buy a program so I could view designs on my computer (under $50) and my husband gave me Embird for Christmas one year. I don't digitize as I don't have a lot of desire to do it, except when I want to do something in Polish.... Designs from emblibrary.com are regularly on sale and are fantastic, and so are many other sites.

If embroidery is your things--you won't be sorry. I really don't use my Janome 12000 for sewing, though I could. If I had to choose only one machine, however, I'd keep the 12000 as it can do it all. (I also have a Janome 8900.)

Last edited by justflyingin; 04-19-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM

I have an embroidery machine for 2 1/2 years now. I don't regret a single thing. I love using it in quilts
Old 04-19-2015, 06:12 PM

I have a Designer SE and got a great deal on it. You can do all sorts of things on an embroidery machine, which I never thought of. Go for it!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM

I have a Brother Duetta and have put 12 million stitches on it just doing embroidery... and I didn't even want it but at the time it was the biggest work area under the harp I could find and since the Quattro had just been introduced the Duetta was available with a large discount. I've embroidered towles, sheets, pillows, quilted blocks and done many in the hoop projects. I also FMQ on it and have only minimal supplies, a few rolls of stabilizers (bought in bulk and significantly cheaper), buy my thread from ThreadArt or MetroEMB (both have frequent sales under $1/spool) and use the same scissors and needles I use for pretty much everything - Organ 75/11 sharps bought in packs of 100 for a few dollars.
When it dies, it will be replaced with another.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:01 AM

I debated so long and hard about getting the high end machine that could embroider as well as sew several years ago when I bought my HV Quilt Designer. I decided to bet a free standing embroidery machine instead ( janome 350E) because I figured I could sew and embroider at the same time. For me, that worked because it was soooo much less expensive to go that route because I find I am not using the embroider machine very much.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 AM

I only received my embroidery machine a year ago. Knew I wanted a stand alone machine and like Lynnie I chose the Brother PE 770. It has been a learning experience but sure enjoy it. I read tons of articles on how much more a regular sewing machine would cost if you bought it with the embroidery. Very happy with my decision
Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

The Bernina dealer in my area has Bernina workshops and you don't have to bring your machine. You can use the machines in the shop. Each station has a different machine set up and you do a sewing job on each machine to finish a project. An employee is with each station to get you set up and to instruct you how to do that part of the project. After setting up the hoop, re threading the machine, etc for embroidery I knew machine embroidery wasn't for me. I don't know if all Bernina dealers do this but every machine dealer should do it. Oh and the class is FREE. She sells a lot of machines. She said it was well worth the free classes so customers could try out all the features of each machine, from low, mid and high end prices.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 AM

I don't know how much $$ the emb. module, etc., adds to the price of the machine you want. My dealer does an embroidery sample for prospective customers, although I don't think he lets the customers use his machines; possibly your dealer can help you decide whether you like the process and the end result well enough to spend the money.

It's important that you like learning new things. There is quite a learning curve to doing good ME, to include storing and filing designs on your computer and transferring them to your machine, etc. I have an inexpensive software that I bought when I bought my Janome 11000; also Wilcom has a free basic software that does a few things that mine won't do.

I have quite a bit of money invested in emb. thread and designs because I think ME blocks are a really nice alternative to an all piecework quilt top. There are many, many designs available that are not dense and they are lovely for quilt blocks, many sets made specifically for quilts. My life has become complicated and I don't get much sewing of any kind done, but am not sorry I bought a machine that does embroidery. I have many, many things that I have bought and never used, which upsets me, but it's foolish and a waste of time to regret those purchases.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 AM

My brand of machine came with the embroidery unit and I love it. Actually I have been doing machine embroidery for over 15 years. I love to combine embroidery and quilting. Quilt labels also look wonderful when done on the embroidery machine and there's no chance that they would ever fade away, as might happen with a permanent marking pen. If you are really interested in learning machine embroidery, I don't think you would regret getting a machine with that capability.