Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new machine or used Bernina? >

new machine or used Bernina?

new machine or used Bernina?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 AM

As stated in the Bernina ads: "Nothing Sews Like A Bernina --- NOTHING!"
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 AM

I still have my Mother's 830 Bernina Record and it is a treasure of a work horse! Will never let it go. She put more hours on it than you can imagine!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I went to the store to buy a new Necchi or singer around $300 and ended up buying a 10 year old Bernina. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing. How long is a machine good for? "This one seems to be in good condition but I have no idea of how much its' been used. I paid $400 and its' the 160
Berninas are really nice machines and can last a long time.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 AM

I bought a Bernina 19 years ago new and she is still going strong. Love it! Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 AM

As I have stated before on the QB, I have several older Berninas. I LOVE them. I bought two new 830 electronic records in 1979, one for myself and one for alterations at one of our bridal shoppes. I have sewn many quilts on mine for my family and charities. Now I have both 830's and a 1005 in my bedroom where I sew on the fold up tables that Bernina sold for the machines. I also have several other older Bernina models which I sometimes take to quild meetings. I also purchased a Singer FW to take to meetings since it was so much smaller and lighter. I bought my granddaughter a Hello Kitty machine a few years ago, but she preferred to sew on my Berninas. Recently, at a Bernina store, I bought her an 11 pound Baby Lock Audrey so that as a ten year old she could carry it herself to and from sewing classes and guild meetings. It sews beautifully, but I am sure that my Berninas will be sewing far longer than her newer machine that is mostly plastic. You did great by buying the Bernina; you will love it. Rose
Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 AM

An older well maintained machine will sew as well as a new one and they are sometimes better, because the machines were made better back then. I have a Pfaff 1222 that my husband gave me for Christmas 45 years ago and it sews rings around some of my newer ones. I would give up my embroidery one before I would this one.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM

I have a Bernina Activa 131 that I bought new back in 2000. She is indestructible! Sews a beautiful stitch and can handle tough, thick fabrics.

Then I made a mistake and got lured into buying a BL Ellure Plus. The convenience features are great, but I don't think it's as sturdy as the Bernina, plus it's very quirky about thread, and I had a terrible time with buttonholes.

Stick with an older machine!

My BL has embroidery, too, but I think it's wasted on me.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 AM

I bought a Bernina 1020 in 1992 and it is still going strong. I LOVE MY BERNINA! I am faithful about cleaning the lint and changing the needle and also having a tuneup every 1 1/2 yrs. I have never had a problem with it. You will love it. I also purchased a Janome Gem to take to workshops. I know several people who have the Janome and just love it, It's OK for workshops because it is so light and I don't have to take my Bernina out of the cabinet but, really, it can't compare to my Bernina. I really feel like you made the right decision. Enjoy!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM

I'm with RedGarnet222 on this one. I got a 7 year old Bernina Virtuoso 153QE when I bought a used Koala cabinet. The cabinet was what I really wanted as I have a brother Innovis 1250D but the deal was for both and it was too good to pass up. You know what's coming...the Bernina has the best stitch I have ever seen. It's hard to describe the difference but I'll try: Every stitch from the Bernina is exactly like the last one...they are always all the same; straight and true and, well, beautiful. No matter what. I am a Bernina fan and now probably would not buy anything else, if I ever need another machine as I think this will be in my well. It will last longer than I last. I don't think I can say the same for the Brother. I have had 3 Brother machines and always have problems with the bobbin when it is toward the end. The Bernini is older and does not have a lot of extras. It doesn't have a low bobbin thread warning and it is so quiet, stitches so trueeven when the bobbin thread is low...well, it's just a beautiful thing to behold.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Suz

I have owned four used Bernina machines and just recently purchased a Bernina serger. Fear not having a used machine.