Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new machine or used Bernina? >

new machine or used Bernina?

new machine or used Bernina?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 AM

I love my Bernina so much I bought another one! I have the 440 QE & the 330, I use both and have them serviced once a year. I had Kenmores before & if I would have had them serviced more often they would still be with me now. My daughter uses my Kenmore that I bought in 1994 but I threw away the one my dad bought me in 1969 & I am still kicking myself for that. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Service your machine & they will keep running forever.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 AM

My used Bernina 1630 is almost twice as old as yours and, interestingly, it has all of the same features as the new, high end machines being sold right now. And it works magnificently.

Some heads up. I have trouble finding Bernina dealers who know a lot about my older machine and quite a number of the nifty info. and classes Bernina has on the net is only for their newer machines. Also, mine very well may be the exception, but to get a really nice straight stitch, the needle plate dedicated for just straight stitching seems to be necessary for the most perfect line of straight stitches. The plate that has the wide hole (the one that is on the machine when it is purchased) gives a less perfect straight stitch. The stitch with the wider opening in the needle plate makes a straight straight stitch but the second part of each stitch just looks a little off to me. Not enough for me to fuss about but if that would be a problem for you, you need to look and see if your machine has this characteristic. If so, do invest in the after market needle plate.

It took a little learning with the manual on my knee but I am very happy with it and use it daily.

You made a very good choice and will enjoy it. Happiness is being pleased with the machine you are using! Congrats!

Pat
Old 06-20-2014, 03:25 AM

I have a Bernina 830 that I received in 1972, a Bernina 165 that is probably 25 years old and another Bernina 1230 that is also probably 25 years old. I love each of them. Keep them serviced and they are all true "workhorses." Unless I would win the lottery, I would not buy a "new" machine as I've found these older Berninas work well and are basically trouble free.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I went to the store to buy a new Necchi or singer around $300 and ended up buying a 10 year old Bernina. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing. How long is a machine good for? "This one seems to be in good condition but I have no idea of how much its' been used. I paid $400 and its' the 160
I can't speak for a Necchi, as I know nothing about them, but I have a Bernina 930 that I purchased new in 1985, and I love it as much today as the day I bought it. I was using my Singer Golden Touch that I bought new in 1968 with all the attachments, when I bought my Bernina. Sorry to say I haven't used my Golden Touch in years.....I probably need to get it out and oil it good and use it some or sell it. I also have 2 FW's that I love, and take to quilting group. I would not trade my 930 for any of the new machines of today. I am going to make a purse today and will sew it up on my 930. I think you will love your new/used Bernina. have fun!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:36 AM

A Bernina for $400 is a great buy. Bernina machines well maintained, will last a long time. There is a reason that Bernina sewing machines are at the higher end of the market, besides just the name. They build a quality machine that will last, and that is why they continue to be in business. My advice would be not to sit down with the manual, read it over, and then sew on it.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 AM

You made the right choice. Years ago I bought a used Bernina, and later remarked to a vintage sewing machine collector friend, "This newish Bernina has the quality of the vintage Singer's".

I recently bought a used Bernina 440QE with embroidery. I think it is about 6 years old and it is rock solid....a wonderful machine with many years left on it.

BUT, big BUT, my 2013 710 is NOT the same quality and i can't even get a really good straight stitch on it. There have been lots of complaints about the newest upper level Bernina's. After the 700 series were sold (for big $$$$$) Bernina realized their mistakes and engineered, mfg., and provided free replacement parts. Of course, these had to be replaced by a dealer, and then the tensions re-adjusted. My dealer turned out to be incompetent, so I had to take my machine to a different (1 1/2 hours away) dealer, who was willing and able to do this work. I've never bought a new machine, and i have bought many, that could not sew a good ss right out of the box. I had to invest in a straight stitch plate and the ss dual feed foot to even come close. Just beware of their latest and greatest. They are not the quality that they used to be.

In fairness, I have to say that most folks who own the 700s are happy with them, but there are quite a few who have had problems....way too many for what they paid for these machines.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 AM

Bernina's are work horses - I have had mine 6 years now it still runs like a dream
Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 AM

I have a 930 I got in the 1980s which I still use everyday. I have a 730e that is over 10 uears old. I get them serviced every year. They both still work like new. Both of my machines were floor models.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
A Bernina for $400 is a great buy. Bernina machines well maintained, will last a long time. There is a reason that Bernina sewing machines are at the higher end of the market, besides just the name. They build a quality machine that will last, and that is why they continue to be in business. My advice would be not to sit down with the manual, read it over, and then sew on it.
My bad! I meant to say "sit down with the manual" not "would not sit down with the manual". I guess I was in too much of a hurry to get off my computer and go to my sewing machine. LOL
Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 AM

I bought a used Bernina 930 in 1999. It is now well over 25 yrs. old and sews like a charm. It is a great little work horse of a machine. My sewing machine guy says the Bernina 930s were the best machines ever made. They still sell for about $700 around here. I hope mine out-lives me (I'm 55), 'cause I don't know what I would replace it with. I don't think you can go wrong buying a used Bernina if it has been taken care of.