Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new machine or used Bernina? >

new machine or used Bernina?

new machine or used Bernina?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 AM

I'm a Bernina gal also. I have had a 830 Record for years. Then, I went to an 1130 and used it for 30 years and made draperies commercially on it as well as clothing and quilting. I bought a new 530 recently. The technician told me he had never seen a 1130 with such a high stitch count. I could have traded it in on the 530 but chose not to because I did not want to replace all of the feet (prices are too high and I 'bristle' at the idea of planned obsolesence. I feel I have the best of both worlds. Did I need a new machine? No, but It was just something I wanted to do. I like some of the new stitches and features. Absolutely nothing negative about a used Bernina. You probably got a lot more for your money than you currently realize.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:50 AM

You absolutely did the right thing. I don't know anything about Necchi, but I wouldn't want a new singer if you paid me to use it. A good, used Bernina will serve you well!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM

I have a Bernina Artista 180 that is over 10 years old. I've done a lot of sewing on that machine and it still works and sews great. I wouldn't worry about buying a used Bernina.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM

I agree. Even though I am not a Bernina person, I would definitely take the used Bernina over a new Singer. I have only heard good things about the older Berninas.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm always afraid to say I own a Bernina because a lot of people have a problem with them. They think Bernina owners are snobbish or something. When I bought mine 4 years ago, I told everyone on this board and had a backlash of negative talk. Since everyone here is positive about Berninas, I'll say I own one and love it. But otherwise, I say I own a Singer 401 Slant O Matic and a Viking Huskavarna. Anyone else have people put you down because you own a Bernina? It's sad, but it's true for me.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:10 PM

I have a Bernina 830. It is 42 years old this year. It has done everything from tailoring and mending to quilting. It runs just like the day I bought it and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Not only is it a great machine but it was the gift I got from my husband for our first Christmas together. Enjoy your Bernina.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:17 PM

I have a Bernina 440 with Embroidery, a Bernina 910 from 1983, and a Bernina 1300MDC serger. Do I think the Bernina was the right choice? You bet! You will not be sorry.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:24 PM

I have owned three Berninas and currently use my 1260 for most all my regular piecing. Their stitch is indeed beautiful! However, I have to bring up a problem that I have that may plague other early Bernina electronic machines like mine. That is its circuit board. Some people call them the motherboard. I have looked and, so far, the boards in machines of my 1260's era have no replacement availability on their boards. Also, very, very few local dealers are equipped to attempt repairing electronic boards. The protocol is to replace the board. The "rumors" that I have heard are that the factory where these machines were built that also housed extra parts was some how devastated (flood? fire?) making especially the electronics for repairs practically nonexistant. This might impact your consideration when buying a used Bernina electronic machine. If I were in the market, an important question would be how many hours has it been used if that information can be determined.

So what is my 1260 doing? I use the feed dog throat plate with the straight stitch hole and a 1/4" foot. Presently every day or two, my machine decides to arbitrarily go to zig zag thereby breaking the needle. I've tried using a zig zag foot and throat plate but I am spoiled to the stitch I get with the straight piecing set up. Also, if I didn't wear glasses, I would be risking a piece of needle in the eye this has happened so much. It just makes me sick. It's been worked on twice and is perfect except for its circuit board. SIGH~

For this reason, I have begun to acquire several of the best purely mechanical machines that I can find including a Necchi supernova. I am fortunate enough to have a sewing machine mechanic who is also a mechanical engineer to maintain, clean and refurbish my machines. He swears by the Necchis especially those of the totally mechanical period.

My machines include (in addition to Bernina 1260) Necchi Supernova, Singer 401, Bernina 711, Singer Featherweight, Kenmore 3/4 158.1040 which is my go-to for classes and retreats, and Morse 4400 Fotomatic. These are split between our summer and winter homes. I am falling in love with the Supernova. It is a whale of a machine but HEAVY!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:56 PM

I got my Bernia in 1984 and have only had it in the shop 2 times. I clean real good about every 6 months. Clean out around the bobbin after every project.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM

I got my first Bernina, which is an original 830, 40+ years ago. No computer on this baby. It is still sewing up a storm. I do own a Bernina 44QE which I love; but couldn't part with my "oldie but goodie" when I bit the bullet for a sewing computer a few years ago. I have a featherweight singer and it is great: but Singer is not what it used to be.

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I went to the store to buy a new Necchi or singer around $300 and ended up buying a 10 year old Bernina. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing. How long is a machine good for? "This one seems to be in good condition but I have no idea of how much its' been used. I paid $400 and its' the 160