Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a new slant on our hoard >

a new slant on our hoard

a new slant on our hoard

Old 03-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Sometimes I just go through my "collection". If it has been a while since I last did it, it's almost like Christmas! I find all these cool fabrics I have bought and forgotten about. It helps me resist the urge to buy more.(sometimes)My husband doesn't care how much fabric I buy, but I try to keep it within reason!

Ditter
Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 PM

I knew I was "collecting" fabrics but didn't know I was doing something RIGHT until I read a magazine that explained why all of us should have a stash to pick and choose from. I'm pretty sure the author recommended buying 3 yards at a time. I had to leave the house and go out and sit in the car I was laughing so hard. So instead of calling it hording - for goodness sake - call it what it really is ***** preparing a library of fabrics for your future use ***** So what if you won't live long enough to use it up, it is a library! Does your local public library have fewer and fewer books each year?

My only (LOL) problem is that I don't think I'll ever be able to cut into some of my fabrics, they are just too beautiful to cut up. I guess I should think of these as the reference section like the books that aren't allowed to be checked out.

I'm still working on buying three yards at a time. I don't make anything larger than a twin sized quilt any more so three yards seems excessive but IF I could just find that magazine again I just might be able to find some justification. Maybe three yards would equate to coffee table picture books?

Jois
Old 03-20-2010, 08:52 PM

I have been a fabric collector since I started making my own cloths at age 12. I don't see it as a problem, but as something that is a part of me. As far as taking my DH fabric shopping, the last time I did that was about 20 years ago. He stood at the door tapping his foot and looking at his watch the whole time I was looking. When we got out to the car we had a little "discussion" about his attitude. The next time he insisted I go to the "man mall" Fleet Farm, with him, I stood at the end of each isle tapping my foot and looking at my watch. When we left I reminded him that I was a sewer and fabric collector when we married and that I hadn't tried to change him so he could show me the same courtesy. Then I told him I wouldn't go deer hunting with him and he wouldn't go fabric shopping with me. It has worked well every since. Oh he rolls his eyes whenever UPS show up, but that is about it. Several years ago he did tell me that he was proud of all of the things that I had created!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Hoarding, collecting, stashing, call it what ever you want. We all still do it and we all still love it. I personally have a HUGE stash and I'm probably going to buy more when I go to Paducah in a few weeks and when we go to Texas in June I'm planning our trip by mapping out fabric stores. LOL
When speaking with a friend yesterday about purchasing yet another sewing machine, she asked why I did it. I responded by telling her that it was precautionary. My machine is getting very worn. If it breaks down I have to have another one to use. I explained to her that not having a sewing machine would do to my nerves the same thing that her not having her insulin would do to her body. She understood that.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 AM

I've been quilting for a couple years now and honestly have not put together much of a fabric "collection". I just haven't figured out how to buy fabric that doesn't have an intended purpose already. Don't get me wrong, I see TONS of fabric I like all the time, I just can never figure out how much I'm supposed to buy. But I do worry about fabrics I love now being discontinued and not finding them again.

So how much do you ladies buy of fabric that you don't have a purpose for yet? The 3 yards mentioned earlier seems like a little too much.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 AM

What is truely the definition and the difference between hoarding and collecting?? When I hear HOARDING I think of that tv program......messy messy messy. I need a cash register in my sewing room. With all that I have accumulated, I could go into business - but there is always that ONE PIECE that I need to buy for a project! I usually buy 1/2 to 1 yard of fabric at a time - there are a ton of coordinated selections in my stash so I don't worry.ah the pleasures of life!!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I've been quilting for a couple years now and honestly have not put together much of a fabric "collection". I just haven't figured out how to buy fabric that doesn't have an intended purpose already. Don't get me wrong, I see TONS of fabric I like all the time, I just can never figure out how much I'm supposed to buy. But I do worry about fabrics I love now being discontinued and not finding them again.

So how much do you ladies buy of fabric that you don't have a purpose for yet? The 3 yards mentioned earlier seems like a little too much.
3 yards is about how much it takes for borders on a queen size quilt. 3 yards is about how much it takes for a great focus fabric.

I have a good size stash. I wanted to make the Orion Star Thangles quilt but didn't want to make it in the hand dyes or with the same colors in batiks because I don't like blue. The quilt takes 28 to 30 fat quarters in three colors. So I counted yellow fat quarters. I had 40 yellows. I have even more pink fat quarters. I also have the borders and binding, all in pink/orange/yellow. I ended up buying 3 orange fat quarters and the backing fabric. That's it. For a queen size quilt.

That's what a good stash will do for you.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 AM

I'm so glad I found this site, every time I read things like this I feel like I have found kindred spirits. I too have been "collecting" for many years for now and for my retirement. I just wanted to tell you all THANK YOU. I will be able to sew for a long time thanks to my "stash"
Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 AM

If I didnt have my stash it would mean manny more trips to the fabric store for a project. It is so handy to have your own personal fabric shop at home but you never have enough it seems.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80

If I don't know what I'll be using it in, which is usually the case, I buy 2 yards. If I think it might be a backing I buy 6 or more yards. Heck, I just buy a wad and hope for the best. I have such a large stash, whole bedroom for my fabric, I can plan most any quilt.