Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric? >

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
she's right...they don't care how many you are making... and i suggest we all type a little note,

"As I discovered a limiting copyright statement in the selvedge of your fabric, I decided against using it. I purchased $_____ of another company's fabric and will use that instead. My shirts/quilts/crafts are sold on a weekly basis at craft shows and you have missed the free advertising that my purhase, and eventual sale, would have accorded your company." then we email this to the fabric companies every time they inconvenience us...

BTW....my favorite stunt of this type is when Mattel tried to copyright 'Barbie pink'.... don't know if they succeeded, i just think it's a hoot.....
I find this especially funny since they stole the idea for Barbie from another company!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM

I have never noticed any fabric like that but you can be sure if and when I do that I will certainly not buy any of that line! That is so totally ridiculous. I fully understand that people have the right and should have to protect themselves again copywrite infringement, however, this to be is way beyond that. Why produce a fabric and then censor what it can be used for?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Seems to me if I buy the fabric, I should be able to do what I want with it. Anyone here feel the same way?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM

If we can't use it, why can the store sell it?? It is not for their personal use.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Just because the manufacturers print it on the selvedge doesn't mean it is so. They may just be trying to scare people and also to establish a right that may not actually apply under the law. (I'm not qualified to speak to what does apply) I agree, though, that as quilters we should fight against this and the best way to do that is to vote with our bucks and make sure the manufacturers know we have voted.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM

If we all stop buying that fabric, do you think that would change their minds? I think it would, and will never buy anything that has that on the selvage.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 PM

JulieR - while I think you make some good points, fabric is not the same as a DVD. The DVD is a finished product. The fabric is a medium for a certain art form - quilts or fabric arts. Would you say that someone who has produced an oil painting needs to pay royalties to the oil paint manufacturer? Does a potter need to give some of his profits other than the initial costs of the glaze or clay to the suppliers? It is a bit of a grey area, but if one wishes to make money by selling a design - whether it be a Disney Logo or a nice floral, one has to be allowed to have it used. Otherwise, don't sell it.

That said, I will make a point of avoiding copyright fabrics, not because I ever sell anything (I'm not that good) but on general principles.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM

I have used licensed fabrics, but I have the customer buy the fabric for their use...then they can hire me to assemble the item(s). The main reason for the disclaimer is to keep us from buying 30 bolts, making items to sell commercially, for a huge profit. They want control over what's made with their logo/fabric. My hubby's aunt used to make Budweiser fabric tops, bikinis, shorts, purses, etc.. She wrote and got permission. I think she had to submit the items to get approval. So, really it's not to keep us from using the fabrics, it's to control the type of items and quality of the end product.
If you want to use a licensed product, just make one...write to the company and get permission.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
The 'big guys ie: Disney, NFL, etc' don't want you to make money off of things with their 'picture' on it that they could make themselves. You see a stuffed bear with a t-shirt with an emblem of mickey mouse on it and you think, 'oh, that's cute! I could make some just like it, but I know that with the Giants on it that would sell better.' Well, that is where you are taking away money from Disney and 'infringing' on their product. You don't even have to get the idea that way, but it is still 'infringing' on their profits..... That is why they are putting that statement on the edge of their fabric. As a person that sells items I have avoided making things with any of the 'licensed' items. I can't afford to pay for a lawyer and I have also found that most people aren't buying that type of stuff in what I sell. I do make stuff for family and friends with this type of fabric when it is a gift. BUT other than that if it has that warning on the edge I by pass it. If we don't buy it in the first place they don't get any money and may re-think their greediness and give us little guys a break . This is just my opinion and I say it only about myself.....
I have to agree with you! Either they want to sell the fabrics, and get their money that way, or they don't. It sounds kind of like a "have my cake and eat it too" mentality, almost like expecting double pay for things, where does it end??...I totally understand getting paid for your hard work, and your original designs...but some or this borders on ridiculous, just my opinion...Guess that is why I don't make any items to sell...

Last edited by kiffie2413; 11-22-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 PM

This reminds me of an incident that happened to an area high school, the town started with W (Wilmington? sorry can't recall the name) and the high school football team had a W on the side of their helmets as a logo. The high school was sued by the Universtiy of Wisconsin for using their 'trademarked' logo.... it wasn't even the same font. Of course no money was exchanged and the high school just had to stop using the helmets. There was the cost of new helmets for a very small town HS. Now someone even owns the alphabet!