Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric? >

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 PM

that the true boycott will stop all that no money, no gain
Old 11-23-2011, 12:56 AM

Here in Oregon, Tillamook Cheese copyrighted "Tillamook", which is the name of a very old town, and is forcing all the businesses in town to change the names of their companies. You know, just in case someone thinks a dairy is now selling hardware. I quit buying their products when they started this crap. Greediness is everywhere.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM

You think that's bad...the new owners of The Mount Washington Hotel are trying to trademark the phrase 'Mount Washington'. Do you have any idea how many businesses here in New Hampshire have Mount Washington in their names??? So letters, towns and mountains...can't wait to hear what's next.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by walkswithwolves View Post
If we can't use it, why can the store sell it?? It is not for their personal use.
Love this.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
Here in Oregon, Tillamook Cheese copyrighted "Tillamook", which is the name of a very old town, and is forcing all the businesses in town to change the names of their companies. You know, just in case someone thinks a dairy is now selling hardware. I quit buying their products when they started this crap. Greediness is everywhere.
actually it was ONE business and they kept their name. They had to change the name of one of their products.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by margecam52 View Post
My hubby's aunt used to make Budweiser fabric tops, bikinis, shorts, purses, etc.. She wrote and got permission. I think she had to submit the items to get approval. So, really it's not to keep us from using the fabrics, it's to control the type of items and quality of the end product.
If you want to use a licensed product, just make one...write to the company and get permission.
Usually when you do this for profit, you have to pay for the license.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 PM

Yes I do agree with you, why in the world would I want to buy fabric I can not use.
Originally Posted by BobbiSue2009 View Post
Seems to me if I buy the fabric, I should be able to do what I want with it. Anyone here feel the same way?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 PM

I'm sure you will find the same is true with quilt patterns, even when the pattern is free. You can make the pattern as long as it's for your own use or if you're giving it as a gift -- but it's illegal to sell a quilt with that pattern. I believe the only way you can avoid problems is to change the pattern in some significant way. Certainly you can make a well-known block surrounded by sashings without a problem, but using someone's pattern and selling the quilt can get you in trouble.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I'm sure you will find the same is true with quilt patterns, even when the pattern is free. You can make the pattern as long as it's for your own use or if you're giving it as a gift -- but it's illegal to sell a quilt with that pattern. I believe the only way you can avoid problems is to change the pattern in some significant way. Certainly you can make a well-known block surrounded by sashings without a problem, but using someone's pattern and selling the quilt can get you in trouble.
Not quite. You can sell your work. What you can't do is copy the pattern and sell it.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I am currently working with a fabric that has "License is required for any use beyond individual consumption". It is a Warren Kimble for Quilting Treasures fabric. I'm now hesitant to sell these items at a craft show.

If I see this kind of disclaimer on fabrics again I will definitely boycott them.
Hi,
I was looking online for an answer to this very question as I bought fabric today, and two pieces have the exact same thing you stated above. Here is an excellent answer from Tabberone and since she was sued by MM/Mars in 2002, I think she has a good handle on what is legally binding and what is not. Read her post here: http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/.../Selvage.shtml. If you don't have time to read her entire post, her final line sums it up: "What is the bottom line? As long as someone does not misrepresent a home-made item as being a licensed product, copyright law and trademark law allow them to use the licensed fabric for commercial purposes. "