Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not everybody appreciates quilts >

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Old 10-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Is it wrong to say I laughed out loud at BellaBoo's comment about her husband... for like, five minutes maybe?

I don't have a husband but I can certainly see my Dad (God rest his soul) doing the exact same thing. My Dad wasn't one for knick-knacks and excess "stuff"... he believed everything should have a purpose. So he definitely would have grabbed a couple of fat quarters to clean off his golf clubs!! LOL.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 AM

i was visiting in tx and one of my friends kept making remarks that to me sounded like she didn't want me to make her a quilt for christmas after i'd mentioned several times that i was making her something. to top it off, as i was ready to leave she presented me with a wholecloth quilt that her mother had made and embroidered. she said she guessed she just really didn't appreciate it, and maybe i would. well, i got the distinct impression she didn't like, didn't want and wouldn't appreciate a quilt. wouldn't you have thought that, too?
so i flat out asked her, do you want a quilt or not? to my utter surprise she said she would love and cherish a quilt that i had made and would keep it on her bed every night! but she thought that i wouldn't have the time, energy and wherewithall to actually make her one. well, see? you never know unless you just get upfront and ask. of course, she's getting a quilt for christmas!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 AM

I have been lucky...so far all my family members love my quilts and ask me to make them one...I enjoy making them even though they are expensive. I do find that the lap quilts get the most use and love....I always use flannel on the back so its cozy. I also am trying to make more for the hubby and Me...and donate more of the quilts that I no longer use.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
Those are the kind of people I would not want to know.
Really?? So you only want to know people who like all the same things you do? No variety?? :shock:
Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 AM

people who don't like quilts can still be good people. i know several people that like anchovies and i still let them be my friends. but we don't order pizza. non-quilt people are like that, too. you just don't make them quilts.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 AM

The difference of "gift" and "present": A gift is given to the person who wants the item. A present is what you want them to have. If my DH gave me a gun, that would be a present. If he gave me a new sewing machine, that would be a gift.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by nancy59
When I found out my great niece was going to have a baby, I told her I would make a quilt for the baby. I had a chance to see her recently and asked her to pick out a pattern and she got tears in her eyes and said the pattern didn't matter, she was so thankful that someone would be willing to make something for her. Hopefully she will keep it.
My niece is having another baby early next year and as soon as I know the sex she will get another quilt. This will be her 4th and she appreciates the quilts by hanging them in the child's room even though I told her they were to be USED that is what they were made for.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 PM

I think if someone hung one of my quilts I'd feel like it was as loved as if they slept under it. My mom doesn't really sew. I can only remember her teaching me to sew. Never saw her sew one thing. She mended (a lot with 6 kids). But I'll tell you, if she made me a quilt I would first hang it on the wall to admire for a long, long time - before I considered putting it into "service". I want to be able to admire it for a long, long time. Because it's on the wall or packed away for "safe keeping" doesn't mean I love it any less.

I made each of my brothers and sisters quilts one year. A few years later, I was at my brothers house - and just so happened to see his quilt in the bottom of a muck bucket. I asked him if he ever used the quilt I made him, and he said his wife had put it somewhere and he hadn't seen it since the day he got it... (The day he got it...Wow).

I'm much pickier now about who I'll make one for.

And sorry about the sardine comparison, but that's just what came out of my head at the time... Go figure.