Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not everybody appreciates quilts >

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 AM

I've wondered whose loving hands cut and pieced that nice Bow Tie twin quilt I bought in a yard sale. One young man said they were cleaning out the deceased grandparents' house...I got it for 10 measly dollars and it now keeps me warm when I'm sitting in my lazy boy reading. I wonder what she thought of as she sat sewing...I wonder how long it took her to make it..I wonder....I hope somewhere she knows someone loves it.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 AM

Lol i made a quilt that was really an experiment and in the last run of stitch in the ditch the needle must have hit the faceplate an snagged the back....so i just used it to practice FMQ LOL butterflys and bunches of grapes and folded freezer paper cutouts that you open up and stitcharound....it has some of everything... so i gave it to my SIL to carry in his car to cover his gitar and amp so they are not visible,etc.
but instead he has that silly quilt in the house on his favorite chair and takes it in the RV when they vacation it is in the drivers seat with him.....this from the person who i thought did not care about quilts...you just never know
Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
Lol i made a quilt that was really an experiment and in the last run of stitch in the ditch the needle must have hit the faceplate an snagged the back....so i just used it to practice FMQ LOL butterflys and bunches of grapes and folded freezer paper cutouts that you open up and stitcharound....it has some of everything... so i gave it to my SIL to carry in his car to cover his gitar and amp so they are not visible,etc.
but instead he has that silly quilt in the house on his favorite chair and takes it in the RV when they vacation it is in the drivers seat with him.....this from the person who i thought did not care about quilts...you just never know
:thumbup: Yeah for him!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 AM

I have four daughters, three have a quilt I made and they are each either on a shelf or in a closet, not used. I have my remaining daughter who absolutely is thrilled Mom is making her a quilt for the new queen bed she just got. She has no idea what it looks like -- just told me to make it very scrappy. She told me that her husband, whose mother died when he was 10 and father adopted him out, thinks homemade things are the most prized possessions you can have!!! She's now my favorite, LOL.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM

That is a precious note, Ramona!! This is why our quilt labels are so very important!

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I've wondered whose loving hands cut and pieced that nice Bow Tie twin quilt I bought in a yard sale. One young man said they were cleaning out the deceased grandparents' house...I got it for 10 measly dollars and it now keeps me warm when I'm sitting in my lazy boy reading. I wonder what she thought of as she sat sewing...I wonder how long it took her to make it..I wonder....I hope somewhere she knows someone loves it.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by IngeMK
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My DH thinks fat quarter are pretty rags to use as dishcloths. I found out he believed that by leaving stack of them on the kitchen counter.
OMG! that's too funny. Buy him his very own microfiber rags for christmas :D
Will they ever learn?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't compare brussel sprouts and sardines to a handmade with love quilt gift..... In the spirit of the discussion, I don't like beer either. :)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM

I almost never make a present for anyone unless I let them pick out the pattern and the colors they want. I would hate to spend all that time working on something they might not like or use.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM

I agree with you. Why throw away something that could be given to a needy person, but still glad the quilts were rescued.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:15 PM

I never thought I would beinterested in quilting but my MIL gave my hubby and I several quilts when we got married and I still treasure them after 52 years,even though I need to rebind them. since I started quilting about 4 yrs ago,I appreciate the time and work that goes into making a quilt, big or small.
one should make at least one quilt in their life time.
d.swindle