Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not everybody appreciates quilts >

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Old 10-07-2011, 04:43 AM

I agree with everything that fabric fancy had to say I once worked myself out in a quilt even made in their wedding colors and queen size and I've always wondered what happened to it no comment met at all when they opened it not even a thabk you and to think I could of easily sold it for 700.00 dollars from now on I just buy a blender or soming from WalMart
Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews
Sometimes, as quilters, we must develop a thick skin. Also we must remember THAT ONLY A QUILTER knows how much time, work, planning and $$$ goes into making a quilt! I once made a beautiful quilt with applique Scottie dogs on it because the recipient had a Scottie dog....she thought the quilt was for the dog and gave it to the dog. I was crushed, but I loved her, love her still and let it go....
Michelle
I am actually pleased at the number of people I have seen talk about the quilts they have made for dogs (and cats). I make nice soft beds for mine and for the pets of friends of mine. Yesterday, on my happy happy joy joy shopping adventure, I found two beautiful quilt pillow shams at S.A., and bought them for the dogs.

And, since we get to be on our soap boxes....these tops are beautiful. I looked them over quite carefully. I was admiring the embroidered flowers on them, and wishing I could do the really nice quilting job. The fabric is good quality, nice and heavy. Now is where you get to throw something at me. They are made in China, bought at Pennys. Sorry girls, but the poor little slave labor girls that did these knew what they were doing, and the FMQ on them is just gorgeous. Just because they worked for nothing doesn't mean they didn't know what they were doing. I think it is time that people stop looking down on those who do what they have to to survive. I am sure if they had a choice, they would rather make higher wages and have better working conditions, too. Yes, the material is a pattern, but hey....we use panels too. Okay, off the soapbox.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the spanking M.I. Late.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 AM

You know, I have found that even though a lot of people could care less about quilts, they often DO appreciate the time that goes into them, but just don't really want them for themselves. I appreciate antique cars, but I don't have the need, want, or place to own one.

I also figure some day I'm gonna croak and leave my kids with A LOT of quilts and quilting paraphanelia. I'll feel blessed if one of my three daughters takes up the art themselves, but they are going to have their own families and houses full of their own stuff. I'm sure they'll keep some of my quilts, but it's not likely that they will keep ALL of them, especially the unfinished ones. So I don't find it all that unreasonable for them to give some away or sell some, and that may very well be a lot of what we see when we see quilts for sale. Not that they were necessarily unloved, but maybe there were LOTS to love and those were the ones they were willing to part with so they could make room for and treasure the others.

Now what makes me mad...is when I see a quilt that has been cut into a hundred pieces to clean a car engine with! LOL* THAT I will raise my voice at! LOL* :)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Great outlook! I applaud your gracious nature.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM

My DH doesn't understand my passion for making quilts, but I am working on a quilt for his brother using USMC fabric. He has gotten into the "auditioning" part 100% and it is so much fun to see him enjoying the design. I'm using the Churn Dash block and he has come up with some terrific ideas using different colors to highlight the focus fabric.

It is okay to not like something, what a sad world if we all liked the same things. However, it is not okay to belittle someone because of the joy they find in making quilts.

When I make a quilt for someone it is because I want to show that person how much I love them. I don't understand folks that love auto racing, but if they get pleasure from it then that's what counts.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Very true ... I remember seeing a baby quilt I'd made for a good friend/neighbor in her GARAGE SALE ... it wasn't even 2 yrs, and she'd already decided to "redo" her daughters room (at 2 years old !) Crazy. I asked her why she was selling it, she said it didn't "go with her new room". Heaven forbid she use it for naps or travel !! I was hurt AND mad but I asked her what she wanted for it - $10 ! So I bought it BACK from her ! it was like new, hardly used. I donated it to our Linus project :roll: :roll:
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 AM

A case in point. A friend went to her local dump and found over 40 antique quilts that had been thrown away. Some were in bad shape (can always make pillows out of those good parts, right?!) and some were in beautiful condition. She donated them to a local quilt museum and now we all get to enjoy what someone didn't treasure.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 AM

When I found out my great niece was going to have a baby, I told her I would make a quilt for the baby. I had a chance to see her recently and asked her to pick out a pattern and she got tears in her eyes and said the pattern didn't matter, she was so thankful that someone would be willing to make something for her. Hopefully she will keep it.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by veryvirginia
A case in point. A friend went to her local dump and found over 40 antique quilts that had been thrown away. Some were in bad shape (can always make pillows out of those good parts, right?!) and some were in beautiful condition. She donated them to a local quilt museum and now we all get to enjoy what someone didn't treasure.
Glad there was a rescue ! seems like any dummy would give the GOOD quilts to someone or Goodwill, or sell to an antique dealer ! Twice I've rescued quilts from roadside trash, I asked the owner, he didn't care, said sure take it ! The other time, no one was home, so we just took it. Cut one down and made a nice throw sz from the good part. The second just needed washing and a little repair, a pretty scrap quilt on my rack today :)