Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10
Results 226 to 237 of 237

Thread: Not to keep stirring the pot, but....

  1. #226
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,236
    Blog Entries
    6
    I guess we are all who sell crafts at fairs going to be in trouble.

    What next?

  2. #227
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,236
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ursula
    Not so fast.
    Not everything anybody publishes has copyrights attached to it.
    I can e.g. in my own words write about the fun I had making my first quilt (doing it three times over), explaining how to do it right after losing that crazy idea that it is easy as pie and a full-sized quilt can be done in a day.
    I can write how I finally learned to make Ohio stars without mangling the corners.

    I just cannot go ahead and take somebody else's report on his/her experience and reproduce it as my own. Who would want to do it anyway.

    An attorney couldn't have said it better. Best "Stirring the Pot" explanation I've read yet. Why not put it to bed with Ursula's comment.

    If you want to write your own quilting instructions in your own words the way you think is right, then go ahead. Doing it does not infringe on anybody's rights, copyrights or any other rights.

    The operative words are "reproducing somebody else's UNIQUE ideas" and "NOT COMMONLY KNOWN".

    There is no legal way of claiming copyrights or patent rights on COMMONLY KNOWN or COMMONLY AVAILABLE patterns.

    That's it.

    If you can prove that the patterns/blocks you use have been used for decades by thousands of quilters you will be fine. Nobody will find a lawyer who will take you to court for it. They know that they will lose every time.

    You cannot claim rights on commonly known facts, products or procedures. (Think about it. This would be rights based on a craft that has developed in the public domain.)

    Just don't reproduce the entire quilt stitch by stitch and sell it by the dozens. Always remember. The indignated designer can only sue you for the DAMAGES he can prove. (Nobody goes to jail for copyright infringement and you pay punitive damages only if somebody can prove bad intent.)

    Let's all go have fun quilting.

    Leave the designers dreaming about pie in the sky (like making money on a quilt design that has been around in many variations since the Civil War.) Meanwhile, you create something unique and beautiful the way people have done for centuries.

  3. #228
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone


    After reading all of tabberone law suits etc there are a lot of false claims out there of copy right and just plain greed! It is a real shame that they are so stuck on themselves that they can't see the harm of what they are doing. I really believe that the copy right needs to be rewritten to meet the present times and the language needs to be straight forward so there are no loop holes. No wonder most of our products are being manufactored in foreign countries and sold to the USA. Now we know from this why our economy isn't thriving....lack of manufacturing and also jobs.

  4. #229

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hurst, TX
    Posts
    137
    AMEN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone


    After reading all of tabberone law suits etc there are a lot of false claims out there of copy right and just plain greed! It is a real shame that they are so stuck on themselves that they can't see the harm of what they are doing. I really believe that the copy right needs to be rewritten to meet the present times and the language needs to be straight forward so there are no loop holes. No wonder most of our products are being manufactored in foreign countries and sold to the USA. Now we know from this why our economy isn't thriving....lack of manufacturing and also jobs.

  5. #230

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hurst, TX
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
    AMEN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone


    After reading all of tabberone law suits etc there are a lot of false claims out there of copy right and just plain greed! It is a real shame that they are so stuck on themselves that they can't see the harm of what they are doing. I really believe that the copy right needs to be rewritten to meet the present times and the language needs to be straight forward so there are no loop holes. No wonder most of our products are being manufactored in foreign countries and sold to the USA. Now we know from this why our economy isn't thriving....lack of manufacturing and also jobs.

  6. #231

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hurst, TX
    Posts
    137
    Sorry, didn't mean to send it twice, but I didn't see the first one

    :oops: :oops:

  7. #232
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,674
    Blog Entries
    3
    while doing your research, don't forget that there is a difference between a copyright and a trademark.

  8. #233
    Super Member Butterfli19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,113
    I haven't read all the responses but wanted to add that I called an Intellectual Property attorney here in NH specifically for sewn products made from patterns.

    She said that what you make from patterns is not protected under copyright. All that is protected is the pattern itself.

    Pick up your phone book and call one yourself, that way you'll know for sure. There is no charge and you have an immediate response.

    Sew forth and multiply.

  9. #234
    ToucanSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone


    No wonder most of our products are being manufactored in foreign countries and sold to the USA. Now we know from this why our economy isn't thriving....lack of manufacturing and also jobs.
    Uh, the reasons that jobs are outsourced to other countries is Economics 101, supply and demand and companies looking for the least expensive way to get their products out there. We all complain about things being made in other countries, but don't we love the lower prices? How much stuff do you own that was made in China? Yes, it could have been made here, but it would have cost you more.

    But back to the issue at hand........

    Why boycott a MAGAZINE for posting a copyright law? They didn't write the laws. Whether or not the laws are clear or muddy, or fair/unfair is NOT going to change because a few of us decide not to buy the next copy of McCall's.

    Just my two cents.

  10. #235
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by ToucanSam
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone


    No wonder most of our products are being manufactored in foreign countries and sold to the USA. Now we know from this why our economy isn't thriving....lack of manufacturing and also jobs.
    Uh, the reasons that jobs are outsourced to other countries is Economics 101, supply and demand and companies looking for the least expensive way to get their products out there. We all complain about things being made in other countries, but don't we love the lower prices? How much stuff do you own that was made in China? Yes, it could have been made here, but it would have cost you more.

    But back to the issue at hand........

    Why boycott a MAGAZINE for posting a copyright law? They didn't write the laws. Whether or not the laws are clear or muddy, or fair/unfair is NOT going to change because a few of us decide not to buy the next copy of McCall's.

    Just my two cents.
    Well because what they printed was untrue, as shown by people who have called attorneys and posted it in this thread. They are printing that to get further money out of people. Because they are seeking more power then they have.

  11. #236
    ToucanSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,163
    [/quote]

    Well because what they printed was untrue, as shown by people who have called attorneys and posted it in this thread. They are printing that to get further money out of people. Because they are seeking more power then they have.[/quote]

    I would assume that McCalls's and others have attorneys that have read the appropriate laws...but if they haven't, then that will be their problem if they get sued over a case that comes about as a result of misinterpretation or whatever.

    Meanwhile, I still don't agree with boycotting a magazine, as it would put a lot of innocent people (sellers, people that work at the plants where they are published, distributors, etc) out of a job because of an issue that those employees have no control over.

    Just my two cents, again.

  12. #237
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,674
    Blog Entries
    3
    many members have boiled it down many times. the explanations get buried and within minutes we are back to opinions and "debate". rather pointless.

    nobody should use this forum to suggest a boycott - whether in a direct statement or by implying it. that is not one of our functions.

    here are some links. they're all easy to read articles. do the research. if you plan to go professional and sell things, invest in a bit of legal advice. it might be tax deductible.

    http://www.tabberone.com/

    http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...copyright.html

    http://www.quiltingbusiness.com/quilting-copyright.htm

    http://www.quilt.com/FAQS/CopyrightFAQ.html

    http://www.getcreativeshow.com/Craft...copyrights.htm

    http://www.paulrapp.com/display_article.php?id=6

    that's my two cents.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.