Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not to keep stirring the pot, but.... >

Not to keep stirring the pot, but....

Not to keep stirring the pot, but....

Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 AM
JJs
Banned

Between you, me and the gatepost, it won't bother me one little bit if all the designers get in a major huff and run off pouting and taking their marbles (designs) with them..
If I never see another "designer" quilt for the rest of my lifetime it won't matter a whit - I have EQ and a few THOUSAND public domain blocks to play with and a whole mess of "quilts in MY head".
If your creativity is so seriously lacking that you cannot make a quilt without following someone else's design then you need to start small - you will be amazed at how many DIFFERENT quilts you can make with ONE BLOCK - just by changing the size, the sashing, the colors, the fabrics - and every one will look different and nary a 'designer' in sight to CLAIM YOUR QUILT...
Think about it...
And when the designers are whining about 'oh, we didn't mean for you to quit PAYING BIG BUCKS for our designs, we just wanted to CONTROL what you did after you already paid'...
bah humbug
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
the thing that confuses me most about the issue of copyrights is the confusion.

the law itself isn't really all that confusing. it's all the differing opinions that muddy up the waters.

some pattern makers have successfully bullied buyers into believing they can dictate what's done with the finished product. nearly everything i've read from credible sources says that what you make using a pattern is yours to do with as you please.

get 5 lawyers in a room.
each lawyer is working for a different client.
each client has a vested interested in the answer to a question.
now ask the question.

you'll get at least 5 differing opinions - each based on the outcome desired by the clients.

a lawyer who makes his living filing cases on behalf of copyright holders will have armed himself with an arsenal of cases references and interpretations that support his arguments on behalf of his clients.

a lawyer who makes his living defending the accused will have his own quiver of legal arrows.

the judge will sift through all the legalize and gobbledygook and use tests and standards of reasonableness as the basis of his ruling.

seriously, most of the worry is unneccessary. the rules of thumb are so simple:

(1) if you didn't design it, don't say you did. give credit where it's due.
(2) if you didn't create and publish the pattern, don't pass out copies of it. tell your friends where they can get their own.
(3) don't pass out copies of pages from books or magazines. tell your friends where they can get their own.
(4) if you want to enter something into a show, check the rules of that show and follow them.
(5) put yourself in the shoes of the person trying to make an honest living from her talents.
(6) if you want to go professional, invest some time in research. it will be your most valuable tool.

remember The Golden Rule and act accordingly.

see? easy peezy. :-P
Thanks PatriceJ:
This puts it in a nutshell. Like you said: Easy Peezy!!! So, most of the stuff we read is someone's opinion and not the law. This is the way I see it. Give credit where credit is due and follow the rules. I've got it. Read the small print. If the designer/creator wants to limit what you do with it, just don't buy it. Easy Peezy!!! I've got it! If you want to enter it in a competition, follow the rules. Easy Peezy! I've got it! Thanks for clearing up the muddy water. I'm pretty sure I finally got it. Sheeeeeewwwww!!! This has almost been an exhausting endeavor. I'm so glad I finally got it, I hope everyone else does too. It's my Ah Ha Moment. Oprah would be proud, lol.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure Patrice is proud of you, too! :lol:
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 AM

If you finally got it give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done and lets move on.

Woo Hoo for the EQ programs for those of you that need it. I don't have one, but I really don't think I need one. All this happens in my head without a program, LOLOLOL!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 AM

I just finished reading a series about quilting and some of the quilt patterns we use today those people were making before the Civil War.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Okay here is my 2 cents worth. Ladies, we are designing patterns from GEOMETRY. Check out any geometry site. All our designs are on there in one form or another. Are we breaking laws there too? Second, do we need a site or is there a site that lists all the patterns that are copyrighted?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:32 AM

This is something I have wondered about. We've heard the expression, "there's nothing new under the sun." I'm fairly new to quilting and the only quilts are patterns I made myself, but I bet if someone researched it, there are probably patterns out there either just like them, or close enough that someone could yell copyright infringement. But the patterns came out of my head. What then? Sure, we should not copy the patterns and give them away. Nor should we mass produce them. Barring that, I don't see it as infringement.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 AM

I, also, agree with Conniequilts. I can understand not claiming it as an original design or copying the pattern to sell or distribute to others. However, the end result of the pattern is mine to do with as I wish since I paid for the pattern. The designer has no control of how many I make or what I do with them. Just my two cents.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 AM

Remember when patterns were published in mags like Ladies Home Journal for FREE???!!!!! And anybody could make it AND share with others???!!! Used to be quilting was all about sharing, comforting and making memeories as the ladies all got together, also used to be people would not accept things as "Oh well, what can you do about it?" And I do agree---don't buy their mag. and don't renew your subscription----plenty of info on the web!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Sorry. I have to disagree. Making patterns is this person's livelihood and the copyright is all that protects their income and rights to their own work. It would be like copying a book and sharing it with anyone. The author loses their right to sell the only thing they have - their intellectual property. Asking permission to use a pattern is not a big deal - it is just the right thing to do.