Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: which part of the process is your LEAST favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower126
    I hate the sandwiching part. I don't have any surface-other than the floor-that is large enough to lay it out and make sure everything is smooth.
    There was a neat tutorial not too long ago. I can't wait to try it. She used two pieces of lumber to roll the top and the batting. Does anyone remember that one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maksi
    Making the sandwich.
    me, too

Was the tutorial on this site?

Blog Entries
    sandwiching for sure. too old to get down on the floor anymore. I like the clamp idea, I am going to try that. I sometimes go to my church and put some tables together to get me up off the floor.

Dkm
    Color choice. Just can't do it. I have one of the ladies at my quilt shop pick mine out....yes I go with her colors.

#1...making the sandwich
    #2... measuring the borders

The thing I LOVE is hand-sewing the binding. For all you folks who hate doing the binding, if you live near Atlanta, then bring it on. I'll do it for you just for the pure enjoyment. Guess as much as I love my Bernina, l still love my needle. I can sit and sew bindings for hours and hours. The more the better and it's often just the push I need to finish a quilt so I can sew the binding. Weird, huh?

cbuchanan - No, not weird at all. I find hand sewing the binding very relaxing.

I definitely enjoy the hand-sewing of the binding too. What I don't enjoy is the cutting and squaring up steps. Something always seems to be a bit 'off' and it drives me nuts, 'cause it shouldn't be that tough to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by beshearskk
    Quote Originally Posted by loves2quilt
    For me its the actual quilting. My machine will not do free motion so I can only std and I dont like that look, thats why I have so many tops sitting around here.
    Why won't your machine do free motion? If the issue is the feed dogs don't worry about them. I usually leave mine up when I'm free motioning.
    I dont know why and I wish I did..I even had 2 friends that quilt try it and it just wont, tried different threads and we tried with feed dogs up also. Tried so many tensions adjustments, everything we could think of, the thread ends up unraveling until it breaks within one inch of even trying. It sews just fine, and can std fine. Its frustrating!

I think my dread is when the quilt is finished! I always feel a little sad since that quilt and I have spent a lot of time together!

Someone gave the site. I just clicked into it. I think it was on youtube. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to the computer.

I totally agree that binding is the worst part - the hand stitching seems to take me forever, and I often find that I haven't sewn a straight seam in attaching the binding to the quilt edge. I'm already thinking about the next quilt and I'm stuck on this dull chore...

dsj

Honey, I am with you on the cutting. I don't know why I just get very nervous with that and then sewing it on the machine. To be honest I don't like piecing at all. I love the handwork though, the quilting, applique, the binding. I am a finisher..er!

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Someone gave the site. I just clicked into it. I think it was on youtube. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to the computer.
    OK, I found it. http.//sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/videos/basting/index.html

cjc
    I hate to pin the sandwich. I can't ever get it to lay flat. I tape and smooth and smooth and tape but it doesn't seem to go right the first time.

Ditto here I know how you feel and I agree this is the hardest part for me along trying to get down on the floor to put my sandwich together.

Betty
    Florida

Blog Entries
    I hate doing the safety pins part of the sandwiching...I always manage to stick my finger and bleed on it, somewhere along the way! and then I get a pin that just will not snap shut...

Quote Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    sandwiching for sure. too old to get down on the floor anymore. I like the clamp idea, I am going to try that. I sometimes go to my church and put some tables together to get me up off the floor.
    This is what I do. DH has the keys to the church so we wander over there when there arn't too many people around and push tables together. I have taught him and my son's ex-girlfriend how to sandwich and now if they are both around, all I do is supervise :) :) We spray bast all of my quilts, wall to super queen. So much easier if you have 2 people working on it!

Blog Entries
    There is a tool to close thos pins, IoAnne's has it in the quilting section ti works great.

Cookie

Blog Entries
    I really enjoy the binding part. How about I'll bind for you if you sandwich for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rymer
    binding. can I say it again?? binding.

I agree with Rymer, binding is my least favorite. Sometimes I wait and do 6 at a time.

Blog Entries
    the borders....working so hard so they don't ripple, all that measuring

for me, it's ironing large pieces before cutting and basting. i used pins a couple of times to hold my sandwich together and ended up with nicks and scratches on my machine bed. i grit my teeth every time i look at my machine bed now-never use pins again. great ideas, ladies for wall and table basting!

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    Just the other day I was trying to figure out what my most favorite part was, now you have me thinking in a whole different direction. But this one is easy - seam ripping! My lovely patient youngest daughter used to be my favorite seam ripper, but then she had to grow up and move away. :-( Now I have to do it myself.
    Me too! My Sweet Daughter used to LIKE to pull out thread, and she was very careful! Then she had to go and get married, have a kid and now she only rips seams when she comes to visit!! Good help is so hard to find. Thank goodness, I've learned the hard way to do it right the first time!!! :thumbup:

My least favorite is the sandwich part. I hate to pin!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast