Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: which part of the process is your LEAST favorite?

I hate the cutting. I am not good with large rotary cutter, (small hands) and the little ones don't cut layers too well. I find it tedius, and sandwiching isn't too much fun. I have trouble getting down on hands and knees. So much for Golden Years.

I always hated handstitching the binding to the back of the quilt.

However, I recently discovered that I can machine stitch ALL of the binding. At first all those pins got to me, but then I discovered glued binding. Looks like I've solved my least favourite part!

Quote Originally Posted by MissTreated
    Paying for the fabric. This is, of course, completely different from buying fabric.
    LOL!!! I agree!!

Seriously, I hate the sandwich part too. Crawling on the floor is no ones idea of fun....well, maybe my grandsons. :P

Small hijack, where do you find a pressing board & is it much better than an ironing board? I hate trying to press a huge piece of fabric of quilt top on a regular ironing board. The things you learn from friends!!! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QUILTEMS
    Picking colors and fabric. If someone else plans the colors, I'm on myway.
    Oh can I relate to this one. For several years I would only buy kits or jelly rolls because someone else did the colors for me. Now I'm beginning to venture out to pick my own but they never seem as "matched" as the ones in the kits, etc.

The cutting is my least favorite part.
    My first loves are hand quilting and buying fabric!

For me its the actual quilting. My machine will not do free motion so I can only std and I dont like that look, thats why I have so many tops sitting around here.

I have a solution to your sandwiching problem. Do it on the wall with spray baste! Tape the backing (wrong side out) to the wall. Tape up newspaper around it to protect your wall. Spray the backing, attach the batting, smooth it out, spray the batting, attach the top, smooth it out. You're done!

Being a newbie...cutting is the trickiest part for me...If you don't cut accurately nothing goes together right..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTreated
    Paying for the fabric. This is, of course, completely different from buying fabric.
    LOL!!! I agree!!

Seriously, I hate the sandwich part too. Crawling on the floor is no ones idea of fun....well, maybe my grandsons. :P

Small hijack, where do you find a pressing board & is it much better than an ironing board? I hate trying to press a huge piece of fabric of quilt top on a regular ironing board. The things you learn from friends!!! :mrgreen:
    If you type in how to make quilt iorn board,there is a recipe for this, my hubby just made me one for when I learn to quilt, he is funny.well he got the plywood but he is getting as excited as I am for me to start quilting.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Least Favorite: Finishing. Most of my quilts are not completely finished! :shock: There is something scary about moving from the top to the borders and beyond! I really would like to overcome that!

My favorite aspect: cutting tiny detailed pieces, such as this tree I made for a raw-edge applique quilt. There's something relaxing about it, and I don't have to worry how they come out!
    It beautiful! I love it!

Hate doing the sandwich. Bad knees, bad back makes it soooo hard. Have to do it in sections over a trestle table.

Beshearskk mentioned spray baste on the wall - sounds good but I don't have enough wall space.

Quote Originally Posted by loves2quilt
    For me its the actual quilting. My machine will not do free motion so I can only std and I dont like that look, thats why I have so many tops sitting around here.
    Why won't your machine do free motion? If the issue is the feed dogs don't worry about them. I usually leave mine up when I'm free motioning.

I leave mine up too. It seems to give me a little better control.

I am with kbun. I struggle with the actual quilting part. I love picking the colors, the pattern and putting the top together. I don't even mind the basting and pressing. I am not very good at quilting, either by hand or machine. I am still practicing every day though.

Quote Originally Posted by grammynan
    Making the sandwich . I can't get down on the floor anymore because of bad knees, so I have to do it on my mothers king size bed. It's very difficultto get it smooth.
    If you live near a JoAnn's, slip in and pick up one of their cardboard cutting boards to place on top of the bed to work on. That's what I do and it helps a lot. I also use it the dining room table when hand basting as I can roll the quilt up, turn it and move it so I don't have to be moving around so much.
    Worth a try. For me it works great as I never had any luck doing it on the floor and don't have a table large enough to work on.
    Patty

Blog Entries
    washing, ironing, cutting and ripping out is the least of my favorite,s

Sandwiching. I really hate trying to get all three pieces together and no puckers. That's why I now send my quilts to a quilter. She does a wonderful job quilting and then I just have to do the binding. Good TV time.

BINDING BINDING BINDING :(

Bev
    I hate, hate, binding. I can never get the mitered corners exactly right. I unsew and sew, then unsew and sew some more. Nothing else bothers me as much as that. 8-)

I guess I am the only one who hates making mitered corners on the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan
    For me it is the squaring up. So tedious and than for some reason there is always one block that is off by 1/2 in. Don't know why, can't figure that one out.
    me too!! i can't figure out how perfectly square squares are not after i sew them all together!!

I hate the sandwiching part. I don't have any surface-other than the floor-that is large enough to lay it out and make sure everything is smooth.

I started reading this post and as I thought about it, I had a hard time coming up truthfully with what part of quilting I don't like. I think I would say there are some parts I like better than others. I love to free motion quilt and I can hardly wait to get the quilt ready to get started on the free motion quilting. This type of quilting has opened up a "new frontier" in quilting for me, leaves, hearts, flowers, meandering, loops, etc. If you haven't tried it yet, you will be pleasantly surprised. I practiced drawing free motion designs on paper for a couple of weeks before I got up the courage to try.(I am not artistic in any way!) Then I tried it on scrap fabric and finally worked up the courage to free motion quilt. (Is this sick?)

cutting the fabric....hated it during college for fashion design...still don't like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Making the sandwich. Really hate it.
    I second the motion on this one.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast