Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passage Quilts....who does them >

Passage Quilts....who does them

Passage Quilts....who does them

Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM

It is amazing how much love is felt by those receiving these quilts. I always called them memory quilts and have made several while the people are still with us. My first one was for my mom when my dad passed away. It had pictures of our family, the house we lived in all our lives that was sold, etc...then my mom suffered from dementia,
and now is in an alzheimer unit but the quilt is hung above her bed and some days she knows who we are. The
quilt will be displayed at her funeral and passed on to one of the grandchildren. It is also very comforting to make and give these quilts!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM

I made a lap quilt for a very good friend who has ALS. Our quilt guild had just had a charity day and the project was lap quilts. Unfortunately I missed the day. When I realized how cold my friend was I knew I had to do something for her. I made it one Sunday afternoon and couriered it to her on the Tuesday. She loved it. I made it with a fleece backing to keep her warm and cuddly. Sadly she passed away a couple of months later. Her sister sent me note thanking me the quilt, saying it was the best gift anyone could have given her and she had it with her to the end. The day of her service a group of coworkers and I attended her service. Imagine my shock when they wheeled her coffin into the chapel and my quilt was draped on it. It was the most humbling, gratifying moment of my quilting days. Many times we make quilts and often wonder if the recepient really does appreciate what you have done.I will never forgot the moment and am so happy that I choose to make it for as she dearly loved it. And I will never forget my friend. RIP in peace Lorraine!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM

I hurried to make a quilt for my Aunt that was dying I helped care for her, The care got to be just to much for my Uncle and I, as she had bedsores and I felt we were hurting her when we moved her, besides she was really failing fast[ATTACH=CONFIG]368492[/ATTACH]. I did not have any type of training for this kind of work. I took it to her and she was able to express that is was beautiful, she had it wrapped around her the day she went to a nursing home but sadly only live 4 more days. My cousin (her daughter) said to me after the funeral that she would have liked to display the quilt but did not want to upset or embarrass me. I did not tell her that I would have been honored just expressed my thanks for thinking of me. I am glad my Aunt got to use it those last few days.
Attached Thumbnails 103_0759.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM

I have heard where some nursing homes have quilts hanging in their hallways and patients are allowed to pick one to cover the body when it is being taken out of the nursing home. It is much nicer than a black body bag. It is then returned to the nursing home for future use. I myself prefer to be cremated and my ashes tossed on our farm and then there to be a huge party to celebrate my life and passing on to heaven. I myself would rather fertilize the earth than take up space where people feel they have to come and visit. I will be in a better place so be happy.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM

I started quilting due to a funeral!!! I attended the funeral of a coworkers grandmother. The family used her quilts to drape the alter, casket, etc. I thought what a great way to leave something of yours for family to cherish. The next week I signed up for a beginning quilting class. Four years later I am still going strong!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Before a quilt is given to a person who is dying, you definitely need to inquire as whether or not it is really wanted. I'm very glad no one offered us one.
The Passage Quilts program at our local hospital only offers quilts to the patients. They do not have to take it if they don't want one. After the patient passes, the quilt is then offered to the family - again, they do not have to accept it. If they don't want it, it will be washed and offered to someone else.

I would also like to point out that some posters here seem to be confused by the term "passage quilts" - the program I am referring to does not provide quilts to those who have already died. We provide warm, comforting, cheerful quilts to those who are terminally ill. My own personal feeling about that is I'd rather have a quilt I made keep a person warm, rather than drape a coffin. By then it's too late.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The Passage Quilts program at our local hospital only offers quilts to the patients. They do not have to take it if they don't want one. After the patient passes, the quilt is then offered to the family - again, they do not have to accept it. If they don't want it, it will be washed and offered to someone else.

I would also like to point out that some posters here seem to be confused by the term "passage quilts" - the program I am referring to does not provide quilts to those who have already died. We provide warm, comforting, cheerful quilts to those who are terminally ill. My own personal feeling about that is I'd rather have a quilt I made keep a person warm, rather than drape a coffin. By then it's too late.

It's important to realize and accept that the term "Passage Quilts" are used with different meanings.

The "Passage Quilts" which many of us are familiar with are the ones used to cover the body as it leaves the home, Hospice, or wherever the person is at the time of passing. It's to cover the body with warmth and love in a different sense, so that those who see the person do not see the cold, stark body bag, that would otherwise been seen. It provides comfort to those people, and help to make the acceptance of the loss of their friend/family member as they see them in a familiar way as though tucked in bed and sleeping. Similarly, for any others who happen to see (eg. no connection, but in a hallway, etc.) it is easier for them to witness the passing by of the gurney.

Passage Quilts of this sort are commonly used in Hospice Homes across the USA and Canada (and perhaps other parts of the world too, I don't know!). Their use has grown beyond HH via funeral directors when they move bodies, as they realize how they can ease a difficult situation for many.

They are not meant as "keepers", rather as a continual use item, kept for the purpose intended.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
It's important to realize and accept that the term "Passage Quilts" are used with different meanings.
I DO realize this, which is why I keep trying to explain what I mean when I discuss the Passage Quilts program at my local hospital. "Passage Quilts" is the official name of the program, and is what the OP was referring to when she posted this:

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
The last one was that the quilter worked with a local Hospice, the quilt top was given while the patient was still alive and was allowed to use during their final days, then presented to the family......
The OP was not referring to casket quilts, but there are many here who are assuming she is. I'm simply trying to explain the difference.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:52 PM

I think that it's nice if the person has it before passing and then if the family want's to put it over the casket it might mean more. It would be just like anything personal the person had going to a loved one. Sue
Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I DO realize this, which is why I keep trying to explain what I mean when I discuss the Passage Quilts program at my local hospital. "Passage Quilts" is the official name of the program, and is what the OP was referring to when she posted this:

The OP was not referring to casket quilts, but there are many here who are assuming she is. I'm simply trying to explain the difference.
NOR was I referring to casket quilts!

Ironically, the OP does understand the multi-meanings behind the "Passage Quilts" ... and just like any other thread on the QB, there's often many other side-comments within a thread.

So relax, and let the discussions happen ... after all regardless of the interpretation, it is all for good.