Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pillow cases >

pillow cases

pillow cases

Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
I don't see any reason why you can't add a bit of fabric to increase the width of the cuff fabric. Find something in your stash that coordinates nicely or contrasts well. I've cut my cuff fabric in the center and added the extra there so that it's even.

I did a very "manly" pillowcase for a son-in-law for Christmas out of tool fabric. Just for fun (and to tease him a bit!) I added a piece of rubber ducky fabric in the cuff. He's big and gruff sometimes, but a genuinely sweet guy.

Get creative!!

Sue
Thanks for the idea. I really only need to add back 2" or close to it to get the same wideth of the body. I do have extra of the same cuff fabric. So I don't know why I was so worried it wouln't look right.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:58 PM

I like the wider trim, so I cut mine 4" and fold in half for a 2" trim. When I'm using 3 different fabrics,I like for the trim to show up really well.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks for both videos. Slightly different wording, but between them, I understand the method. I copied and pasted the videos so I could review them if I need to.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm doing my pillow cases in football team fabrics for the guys.
Yes get rid of those selveges.

simple quilter
Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 PM
4L

My next one will be a celebration one for my uncle's 90th bday on Dec. 6. Last year I sent him a R/W/Bl one as he is a WW2 Vet. I have cheeseburg/fries fabric for my Godson cuz he cooks at a bar/grill. These are so much fun to do and never boring as each one is made with new fabric combos.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:51 AM

Off with their heads!!!
Never leave selveges on.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:05 AM

I use 2 1/2 for band or flat lace. I also use my serger so
that takes care of cutting the salvage off because it cuts the selvage off. Yes, I have always been taught to cut the selvage off because of shrinking problems. If the cases are special or from expensive fabric I do the French seams. My Granddaughter who is ADD (in her early 20s) had decided to sew and I am amazed. She has never had an attention span longer than a gnats but give her some frabric and she'll sew for hours. She made her first pair of pillow cases for me. It is so special to spend time with her sewing. My friend bought a new inexpensive machine she didn't like and
gave it to my granddaughter. Needless to say she was thrilled. I have one like it so she uess mine here and has her own at home.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Ok thanks. I have cut the selvages and straightened the edges. Now I have another question. I have cut my body 27" by wof which is 42". But I am about to cut the 9" piece but the width is about 2" shorter in wof and that is after I also trimed the selvages. As it is the piece I have was cut kinda wonky but have enough except for the wof.
So do I assemble center and go on to sew then trim the body down? Have you had this problem?
Would it look stupid if I were to add alittle onto the wof for the cuff to give it just the same length? To get some of this fabric I would probably have to wait until sat. and then have to drive about 40 miles just to get some more and even with the selvage on it I think it is still a little short but not like it is now.
I don't have anything else to put with this pillow case to change it. What would you do?
I don't know if I can make this clear enough but here goes: To add width to your 9"piece, you might cut a different fabric the length you need & maybe fussy cut it so you have a little
"embellishment" when you're done. It would look as though you meant it to be that way. Or maybe you have a piece of lace or an old crochet doily you could use. Does this make any sense?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Another reminder - did you know?

Even fabrics that appear to be coordinates and from the same manufacturer may be different widths -

I had some 45 inch snowman fabric that I trimmed down to 42 inches wide - and some really cute matching/coordinating border print that I also cut three inches off BEFORE measuring the width of the border fabric. The border fabric was only 42 inches wide to begin width.

So ALWAYS measure the fabric widths before going on to the next step.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterfly
Ok thanks. I have cut the selvages and straightened the edges. Now I have another question. I have cut my body 27" by wof which is 42". But I am about to cut the 9" piece but the width is about 2" shorter in wof and that is after I also trimed the selvages. As it is the piece I have was cut kinda wonky but have enough except for the wof.
So do I assemble center and go on to sew then trim the body down? Have you had this problem?
Would it look stupid if I were to add alittle onto the wof for the cuff to give it just the same length? To get some of this fabric I would probably have to wait until sat. and then have to drive about 40 miles just to get some more and even with the selvage on it I think it is still a little short but not like it is now.
I don't have anything else to put with this pillow case to change it. What would you do?
I don't know if I can make this clear enough but here goes: To add width to your 9"piece, you might cut a different fabric the length you need & maybe fussy cut it so you have a little
"embellishment" when you're done. It would look as though you meant it to be that way. Or maybe you have a piece of lace or an old crochet doily you could use. Does this make any sense?
Something like this?

You could add inserts to both sides so it would look really intentional. If you just tack the extra fabric on the end, it kind of looks more "oopsie" than planned.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-135612.jpe