Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
portable project >

portable project

portable project

Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 AM

Since I enjoy hand applique so much, it goes with me. Also working on a grandmothers flower garden by hand. Both travel well.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Knitting socks - love it.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Easiest (and least Dangerous!) is the crochet rag rugs...
Got one finished on our last road trip!
Want to start hand quilting small projects during car rides, but I am such a KLUTZ, think I might poke myself too much with needle!!!! :roll:
Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I've used small(baby) nailclippers to cut threads.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM

This has been another great thread to read, you always have to many great suggestions and advise. I've been wanting to find a good portable quilt project for a long time.( I also crochet and always carried a project with me when I am doing that) but haven't found the right thing for quilting. I would love to do a Grandmothers Flower Garden, but there is absolutely no one in my area that carries 30's fabric which I find a real shame with 3 quilt shops besides another shop that carries beautiful fabric.
I love the idea of doing The Farmers Wife or perhaps the URR quilt by hand but need to learn how to hand piece.
Anyway thanks again for all the suggestions
Muriel
Old 06-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Hi Muriel,
I love doing the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt by hand...you've got to try it. First let me tell you that I purchased my Civil War fabrics online at www:autumnrosequilting.com. I've never hand quilted either, but I purchased Jinny Beyer's book: Quiltmaking by Hand. I got it through Amazon for around $20.00. She also has a CD by the same title, which I haven't gotten, but I might. The book does have lots of pictures in it, but I think the CD would be nice to actually see her in action quilting. So far I have been rotary cutting my pieces, and then I mark the 1/4 inch seam and sew away. Let me know if you have any other questions It is sooo much fun.

Good luck, Sarah in Northern CA

Originally Posted by AkAngel
This has been another great thread to read, you always have to many great suggestions and advise. I've been wanting to find a good portable quilt project for a long time.( I also crochet and always carried a project with me when I am doing that) but haven't found the right thing for quilting. I would love to do a Grandmothers Flower Garden, but there is absolutely no one in my area that carries 30's fabric which I find a real shame with 3 quilt shops besides another shop that carries beautiful fabric.
I love the idea of doing The Farmers Wife or perhaps the URR quilt by hand but need to learn how to hand piece.
Muriel
Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
Muriel
If you've never bought fabric on line you might want to try it. Both keepsakequilting.com & connectingthreads.com have great 30's fabric and at a reasonable price.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 AM

I carry a yo yo project with me, works out great.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87114.jpe  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

You all should learn to hand-piece....just takes a bit of organization, then where ever you go can sit a sitch.
Fun way to show of all those bage you make.