Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Ott Lights >

Question about Ott Lights

Question about Ott Lights

Old 12-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Another alternative are the new LED lights if you already have a lamp. Way less heat and they have different types, cool, warm etc. Way cheaper!!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 AM

I bought one on sale once but when the light burnt out I refused to pay the charge for a new bulb. So I threw it out.
I didn't really notice much difference.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 AM

I am a huge fan of "Reveal" brand bulbs, made by GE. They're regular incandescent bulbs but they have a special coating on the glass to filter out yellow so the light looks very "clean" and bright. I don't get eyestrain anymore with these, and the room doesn't have that dingy yellow look at night anymore. I do have a single Ott task lamp in my room but I only use it when it's dark out and I need to see "true" colors. Reveal bulbs aren't quite full-spectrum, so for that task I do use my little Ott lamp; but for general work and sewing and just existing in the house, I adore my Reveal bulbs!

I have some small LED task lighting I use at the sewing machine, but I don't have ANY florescent bulbs in my sewing room. I have very sensitive hearing in the upper ranges and I can HEAR florescent bulbs when they're on if the room is quiet enough, and I prefer to sew in a nearly silent room. That's part of why I can't leave the Ott light on...their bulbs are "noisy" too. Drives me crazy, every time the machine stops I can hear the electric whine of those darn bulbs. It's not loud, just...annoying. Like having tinnitus.

My travel machine whines when it's on, too, but apparently I'm the only person who can hear it. That motivates me to keep the needle moving to drown it out, LOL. Thankfully I got lucky and my main machine is not a whiner!
Old 12-26-2014, 07:45 AM

I am also a fan of the Reveal bulbs. I did get an Ott light as a gift, but every time I used it, I would get the worst headaches. The light that the bulbs gave out was the "wrong color" or just not right. I found it almost impossible to use them for more than a few minutes. I have 6 floor lamps in my sewing room, each with the Reveal bulbs. The light is fantastic. The floor lighting reflects off the ceiling, giving a more even lighting. Less harsh than regular bulbs or the Ott lights. I have a floor lamp next to my machine table, that one bends so I can direct it to an item I want to "spotlight" or if I need to hand sew (not very often) or "reverse" sew ( more than I wish).
Old 12-26-2014, 09:22 AM

I too swear by the Ott lights. However one day my husband and I went to Lowe's to look at track lighting options and they carry the Ott light for more than 50% less than anywhere else. I bought one and love it. It was a great buy and provides a fantastic light.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Personally, I think they are totally worth the $$$. I got one for my sewing machine and liked it so much, I got one for my desk. There is no comparison to any other light. The light is kinder to the eyes, too.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:29 AM

Perhaps you can find a floor lamp at a local thrift store. Our thrift stores seem to have a large selection of lamps. Take a bulb with you and plug the lamp in to test. Then you can use some of the newer regular bulbs that will give better light than the old bulbs.
Ott lights are expensive but 50% off at Joann's helps. I do have an Ott floor lamp and also a folding table lamp and really find the light good to work with. Ott did provide a replacement bulb for the floor lamp when needed.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:31 AM

I like my Ott lights. I have a table model in my kitchen under a cabinet because I do most of my food prep there and like the brighter light. And have a floor lamp next to my chair in the TV room and another floor lamp & table model in my sewing room by my sewing machines.

I did have a floor lamp got bad. They have some electrical thing that makes the bulb do what ever, so I sent an e-mail to Ott to find out if I can find out where it is in the lamp and can I buy a new one. (After all it is easy to replace this thing in florescent lights.) I got an e-mail back telling me to contact an electrician, they will know the parts that I need. At $150.00 an hour for an electrician I just got rid of it and bought another one. When I get them, I wait for them to go on sale and I have a gift card. Once when I was at JA's they had the floor lamps with the little tray on it for around $40.00. The saleslady said people didn't like the little tray and they needed to get rid of them. I should have bought 2 but I controlled myself and just got the one. It's in my sewing room and is rather handy, but I never would have paid the original price for it.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Save yourself a lot of money and get a cheapie floor lamp from most any store and buy a 23W Ott or GE Energy Emart Daylight bulb for it! That's 90 - 100 watts equivalent!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewsue View Post
I have several Ott lights but will not be purchasing more. I have spent hundreds of dollars on their floor lamps alone. I love the lamps but to be honest, the hardware is chintzy and you can't get replacement bulbs from Joanne's or Ott. Hard to believe but true. I also purchased a folding task lamp which flickered so badly at startup that I gave it away( I kept returning them as I originally thought it was defective.it made me feel really sick. The last lamp is own is floor task lamp. It has the big box type plug. The plug keeps sliding in to the plastic box so I can't use it. So, I have spent about $500 on lamps that I can't get bulbs for or don't work right. If you look in Joann's or Lowes you can buy a 25 watt screw Ott bulb for $7-8. I would and will purchase those bulbs to use in other lamps that do not use the proprietary bulbs which are unavailable. I think the bulbs are awesome.
I have found bulbs for mine at Bed Bath and Beyond where my DH bought mine for me.