Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick Quilts >

Quick Quilts

Quick Quilts

Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM

I only do one project at a time, and a lot of my inspiration comes from this board, if I see it and "love" it then I want one, so it's off to the fabric store to get started. I can see what the possibilities can be from viewing all the lovely quilts posted here. My first ones were inspired by a .25 quilting magazine picked up at a small quilt show, so I have done some from magazine features too. Love it all.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

The older I get the smaller I like!. Enjoy making small quilts. They don't all have to be bed size.

I do like to make blocks and just pile them up. When the stack starts to tip... thats a quilt! Try enlarging the blocks you make and the quilt grows really fast. If you like to make 4Ps make them big and you get a big quilt fast!

peace
Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 PM

I'm trying to get some (sofa/lap sized) done, for Christmas gifts, so quick/easy is what I'm doing.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine View Post
I don't know about everyone else but the type of quilts that I like to make are ones that you can put together and quilt in a short period of time - like Jelly Roll Quilts, simple nine patch, etc. ...you get the idea. Whenever I try to make a quilt that involves a lot of cutting, piecing, intricate pieces, I get to tired of working on it and seem to never get it finished. What does everyone like to do? I guess I just don't have the patience to do one that is very intricate and complicated.
I like to look at Missouri star quilt company and see what Jenny has. I feel she has many simple to do quilts.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 PM

It's nice to fit in to a group! Many of you don't like the intricate piecing and neither do I (love to admire, not do). Right now I am doing a French braid and it is driving me crazy! Hard to to place the strips together (maybe I should have tried a pattern), boring... so much repetition. I'm going across the quilt (lap robe) w/o a strip in between the arches so I have to keep adding until I have the 5 pieces to make up the width. Am using a roll of strips (Bali Pops) for the first time because I wanted it to be "soft" and "conservative" because of for whom I am making it. Then I put strong little blocks in! and frankly, it looks like a hodge podge and not the least conservative.

What hurts the most is that there is a beautiful dragon trying to come out of some fabric my grandson and I went out and bought. He did the design off a picture I found.... Simple applique, despite it's 5' heighth and tons of firery breath. Now that is fun! and simple once you have a five foot pattern from Staples enlarging machine.....
Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Jim

I like most quilts but like a challenge as well...have made many of several but I always have at minimum 6 quilts going all at once. My next quilt after I finish this elaborate applique baby quilt is gonna be an X block ..have the fabric and templates awaiting anxiously
Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 AM

I like some simple, but mostly intricate. Really like stars for some reason. i have found I work on two or three quilts at a time. When I get tired or bored with one, I move to the other one. That way you don't get burnt out on the one quilt.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:31 AM

Unless a pattern says easy or beginner I don't bother with it. I enjoy the quilting process when I can pick it up when I have a few minutes (I hand piece and hand quilt). It's relaxation for me when I can do it at my leisure. It's a great stress reliever when I can see progress without having to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do next or having to rip out something because I didn't understand the directions the first time.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:39 AM

I do all types of quilts but someone posted a pattern on here called "Take Two" and when I need something in a real hurry, this is the one I make. The original pattern called for blocks (two fabrics) to be cut 2 1/2 by 8 and 4 x 8. I have since used 2 1/2 x 10 and 6 x 10. After I get the blocks together I add a small border of a third color and then bind the quilt in this same third color. I can cut and put the top together in about 6 hours.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 AM

I generally do one large pieced quilt per year. Also one large hand quilted (embroidered) quilt per year. I make zillions of "quillows" from fleece that I give for many gifts.