Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM

ooh, mamagus...what abt your dh's feelings :?: Sounds like he loves her anyway, right :?: Forgive me, I don't mean to sound preachy...after all, what do u expect, I'm 80 :D :D
Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM

gingerella, was your daughter giving the quilt back to u? Or just acknowledging it!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Nantucketsue, your quilt is fantastic :!: :!: :!: I'm amazed at the personal thoughts and ideas that went into. You shd be so proud of yourself that u don't care what they feel or don't feel :twisted: :twisted:
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM

I figure it this way, it gives me something to do. They may not appreciate it at first, but after use, they always come around and become very thankful and even talk it up a bit.

Give the ungrateful a chance. They just don't know what they've got...yet.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Sad to say, but I think my absolutely most grateful was my dog (my avatar, now passed away 3/31/10). I was making an afghan (something to do while watching tv), and he claimed it before it was even done. Every time I worked on it, he would cuddle up on the corner. Once done, now matter where it was, he found it and claimed it. On the bed, on the couch, in the spare room...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by kclausing
Sad to say, but I think my absolutely most grateful was my dog (my avatar, now passed away 3/31/10). I was making an afghan (something to do while watching tv), and he claimed it before it was even done. Every time I worked on it, he would cuddle up on the corner. Once done, now matter where it was, he found it and claimed it. On the bed, on the couch, in the spare room...

I don't think that is sad at all! I think it's wonderful that your darling dog loved the afghan. I'm so sorry about your loss. Sometimes are dogs love us more than our *real* children. We lost our brown and white child, Lucy, 6 years ago next month and we still miss her everyday. We have 3 other *children* now who are equally as loving. My german shepard in never more than 3 feet away from me at any given time. The only furniture he ever gets on is the bed. He will not sleep anywhere else if I have gone to bed. Sometimes it gets awfully crowded :lol:
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Oh Yeah! I just put it behind me and go on! Sorry for them!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Happens all the time, bummer but they just don't appreciate all that work I guess. I also don't like when you give a quilt and you never see it again in their home.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM

I've learned over the years not to give a hand made gift to
someone who does not even give me the courtesy of saying
thank you! I do not expect raves over it, but I do expect
a thank you. Remember when we used to write thank you cards
for all the gifts we received (even if we didn't like the
gift?) Oh, the good ole days! LOL
Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by gingerella
At my daughter's house one day a couple months after Christmas I noticed a quilt I had given to her for Christmas was out on the patio table, wadded up waiting to be washed - I guess. I didn't say anything but she said "Oh here's your quilt, Mom" I replied, "No, it's not my quilt, when I give a gift, it's no longer mine."

As my husband says "you're not married to it, you're married to me" So, I have to mentally divorce myself from it, and so far, it does work. I just remind myself, "I'm not married to it."
RIGHT ON! One of the hardest things for everyone to learn is to let go! After many years of hurt feelings, I have learned to give a gift and let it go. Makes no difference what happens to it (and I mean anything!). If you give a quilt, you are no longer the owner or have any say in its disposition, regardless of who(m) you give it to....