Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Mine have gone to family, so far I think they are used and loved. I saw my son wrapped up in his this morning (he's 23) It warmed my heart. Even though I was scratching my head because he went to bed hot and looking for a fan last night..lol (a blue jean quilt at that) That moment made it worth it!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM

I suppose some ppl have trouble with expressing their thanks! or are just "jealous" of something another can do that they cannot or have not tried themselves. It is always a pleasure to have the receiver of a gift to make notice and show appreciation (even if they are not overly excited of the gift) That is Called Manners!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Although.... I did make one for a ex and he never seemed to notice it when it fell off his bed I generally ended up sleeping under it instead of him. But... It happens... quote]

Am I the only one ROFLMBO over this comment? Not meaning to be mean or rude, but the way that last reads, no wonder he is your ex..

I'm sorry if that offended, I need my meds and to go to bed, please forgive. Hugs and smilesssssss. Linda
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM

I know about the hurt of gifts being rejected...Now, if I want to do something "special" for someone, I will ask them specifically what they want. If it's a quilt, I chose 6 - 12 patterns that I know that I can do and have them chose a pattern and what colors they want. I then make that for them...is a surprise? NO... is it well received... Yes. Do I expect a written thank you... not if they thanked me in person.... If I don't receive an acknowledgement, I ask did you get it and did you like it? I'm not shy
Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Although.... I did make one for a ex and he never seemed to notice it when it fell off his bed I generally ended up sleeping under it instead of him. But... It happens... quote]

Am I the only one ROFLMBO over this comment? Not meaning to be mean or rude, but the way that last reads, no wonder he is your ex..

I'm sorry if that offended, I need my meds and to go to bed, please forgive. Hugs and smilesssssss. Linda

Wow... I just read that..... yeahhhh I didn't quite mean it that way :) No offense taken. LOL
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM

it is sad that some people dony understand how much work goes into makeing a quilt . i made one for a older lady that was complaining about the old winters where she lives so i made her a small quilt to cover up with while watching tv she did write to me thank me for the beautiful quilt and then went on to tell me how her dogs love to cuddle up with it , and how they have taken it over!!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 PM

I once made a quilt as a wedding gift and asked the mother of the bride to give it to her rather than send it in the mail, as I was unable to make the wedding. I never heard boo from the bride, not even an acknowledgement of receiving it. I sometimes wonder if the mother even gave it to her. Since then I rarely give quilts unless someone has expressed a real interest in one.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 PM

I made a quilt for my best friends husband. I took old photos of him and his brothers, made the fabric photos, copied and made a quilt out of them. It was a gift from his wife and he thanked her but not me. I wasn't expecting a big thank you but a small "thanks" would of been nice. My bff has since died and I'm sure the new wife made him get rid of it, along with everything else in the house.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:20 AM

Two years ago I came home from AQS with 7 baby quilts to make. I spent the next 2 months working on them. All were finished and mailed by the end of June. I recieved a thank you note from the babies Grandmother with an explanation that the babies mother wasn't raised like "we were" and she didn't know to say thank you. Of the 7 quilts I recieved 3 replys that the quilts were recieved. Thats when I swore off baby quilts except for very close friends. I'm still making baby quilts, but they will be saved for my future grandkids.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 AM

This has happened to me as well, not with a quilt but with a needlepoint wedding sampler. It took me two months of constant work and then, did not even get a "gee that's nice". This from my niece of all people! So now when I think about gifts I really know who cherishes "handmade" things.

My girlfriend came to pick me up for lunch for my birthday, and she had this huge package all gift wrapped. I almost fell over when I unwrapped her beautiful green, white and pink quilt she made for our new home. The best gift we've ever received.

Carol M